Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 14:02

Plan: Super charged South Beach
Stats: 315/240/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Unhappy Newbie...needing some help

I just started today and have just finished the super charged book....Just looking for any ideas and help to get me going in the right direction. I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least

Thanks Dawn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 14:13
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlk
I just started today and have just finished the super charged book....Just looking for any ideas and help to get me going in the right direction. I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least

Thanks Dawn

Hi Dawn and welcome!

I was very overwhelmed at first too....but please know that as you get used to eating the SB way, it is not hard at all.

If you click on my journal button and go to the first page, I've got the updated food lists and the very important meal plan charts that I brought here from the SBD site itself. Please feel free to print them all up as it will help you to not feel so overwhelmed. I learned how to do the plan by keeping it all with me for reference.

Also, on the first page is a link to my first journal where I logged my food daily for 20 months while I was losing my 124 lbs. The last few months of this log has the best ideas as that is when I really had gotten it about eating this way.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 214.5/141/150 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I just started recently also. The first few days are very difficult, but amazingly, the body gets used to the SB quickly. If I can say anything, drink 100 oz of water every single day. When you get hungry, chug water until full - works every time. I'm about 25 lbs the first 4 weeks. I'm staying on the induction because I can live with it and I want to keep losing fast. Best to you.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 11:02
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomb
I just started recently also. The first few days are very difficult, but amazingly, the body gets used to the SB quickly. If I can say anything, drink 100 oz of water every single day. When you get hungry, chug water until full - works every time. I'm about 25 lbs the first 4 weeks. I'm staying on the induction because I can live with it and I want to keep losing fast. Best to you.

Good job on your first few good weeks of loss!
Please move into phase II...even if its just an apple a day...you'll still see loss...you need to get your body amped up to processing good carbs as you lose the weight or your body will not process them well, when you are at goal.

There are very good reasons why we use all the phases of SB...not just phase I. Even now in maintenance, I float bewteen the phases to manage my 124 lbs loss. If you never go to phase II, you will not know what or how to do that.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 11:12

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Hey ladies, am thinking of converting to SBD, I have been doing that more or less for a few weeks.

What is the best way to convert from slightly higher fat? in the last month or so I haven’t been doing as high fat as most Atkiners, but have ~2Tsp of cream in my coffee, should I replace that with milk ? If us should this be totally fat free milk or can I use half fat milk? I really can't drink coffee black (mostly I drink decaf btw)

As for the protein, I have been doing well sticking to one portion of meat with lots and lots of veggies. I must admit I am probably using anything from 2-3Tsp of Olive oil a day (either in cooking or as salad dressing) Do I need to drastically reduce that?

What about eggs? I believe eggs are my super food, and I usually eat aroun 3 a day. Is OK to keep the eggs?

I am not going to use fitday, I have used it in the past, but am trying to teach myself how to do this without measuring anything - just resetting my thinking about food potions, and my system in knowing when and what to eat.

thanks for you help
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 11:19
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
Hey ladies, am thinking of converting to SBD, I have been doing that more or less for a few weeks.

What is the best way to convert from slightly higher fat? in the last month or so I haven’t been doing as high fat as most Atkiners, but have ~2Tsp of cream in my coffee, should I replace that with milk ? If us should this be totally fat free milk or can I use half fat milk? I really can't drink coffee black (mostly I drink decaf btw)

As for the protein, I have been doing well sticking to one portion of meat with lots and lots of veggies. I must admit I am probably using anything from 2-3Tsp of Olive oil a day (either in cooking or as salad dressing) Do I need to drastically reduce that?

What about eggs? I believe eggs are my super food, and I usually eat aroun 3 a day. Is OK to keep the eggs?

I am not going to use fitday, I have used it in the past, but am trying to teach myself how to do this without measuring anything - just resetting my thinking about food potions, and my system in knowing when and what to eat.

thanks for you help

Welcome to the Beach!!
I use Half and Half in my 1 large mug of coffee each day without any issues.
No need to cut back on your use of EVOO daily....I use that much also between my dressings and cooking.
Eggs are great!! Keep them!
The only things I measure are calorie dense foods like cheese and nuts
and starches like rice or starchy veggies as this is where portion control is key.
Have you found all the food lists and meal plan charts on the first page of my journal?.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 12:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Welcome to the Beach!!
I use Half and Half in my 1 large mug of coffee each day without any issues.
No need to cut back on your use of EVOO daily....I use that much also between my dressings and cooking.
Eggs are great!! Keep them!
The only things I measure are calorie dense foods like cheese and nuts
and starches like rice or starchy veggies as this is where portion control is key.
Have you found all the food lists and meal plan charts on the first page of my journal?.

thanks Judy, yes I had a look at the lists in your journal, only I wasn't sure about portions, so wasn't sure if every day am allowed a bit of milk in my coffe as well as a cup of yogurt or I had to choose one or the other, KWIM?

I am good when it comes to starchy veg and have learnt to control the cheese, but not so good with the nuts and seeds, this is somthing I need to work on.

Will try to read your old journals, but if you have a perls of wisdom related to a typical daily menu, I'd be grateful
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 12:15

BF:

Oh sorry Judy, just noticed you have a day's menu example in your journal thanks for being so helpful
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 12:18

BF:

sorry one question, when they say:

Quote:
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

is this green beans or dried beans ?? And would green soy beans be considered part of beans? I like gree soy beans, and can include it in some sort of vegetable medley.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 12:31
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
sorry one question, when they say:

Quote:
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

is this green beans or dried beans ?? And would green soy beans be considered part of beans? I like gree soy beans, and can include it in some sort of vegetable medley.

This is all beans and legumes. Please see the Food Lists for which are phase I veggies, phase II veggies....or on the list of beans and legumes.

Green beans...as in string beans? are a phase I veggie.
Green soy beans are a bean...I try to find black soy beans.

The meal plan charts give us the allowances of dairy- 2 cups total daily. This includes all dairy(yogurt, cottage cheese, H&H, etc) to me and I do include my hard cheese intake, which is at most 2 ozs daily.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 12:36
Attitude is a Choice

Default From the phase I food list

BEANS/LEGUMES

(Start with 1/3 - 1/2 cup serving)
Adzuki Beans
Black Beans
Black-eyed peas
Broad Beans
Butter Beans
Cannellini Beans
Chickpeas or Garbanzo
Edamame
Great Northern Beans
Italian Beans
Kidney Beans
Lentils
Lima Beans
Mung Beans
Navy Beans
Pigeon Peas
Pinto Beans
Refried beans fat free canned - Added
Soy Beans (also known as edamame)
Split Peas
White Beans

VEGETABLES

(May use fresh, frozen or canned without added sugar)
Artichokes
Artichoke hearts - Added
Arugula
Asparagus
Broccoli
Broccoli rabe - Added
Broccoli sprouts - Added
Bok Choy
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Capers
Cauliflower
Celery
Chayote
Collard Greens
Cucumbers
Daikon radish - Added
Eggplant
Endive
Escarole - Added
Fennel
Fiddlehead ferns - Added
Garlic
Grape leaves - Added
Green Beans
Hearts of palm
Jicama
Kale
Kohlrabi - Added
Leeks
Lettuce (All varieties)
Mushrooms (All varieties)
Mustard Greens
Okra
Onions
Parsley
Pepperoncini - Added
Peppers (All varieties)
Pickles - Dill or artificially sweetened
Pimientos - Added
Radicchio
Radishes (All varieties)
Rhubarb
Sauerkraut
Scallions
Sea Vegetables (seaweed, nori)
Shallots - Added
Snap Peas
Snow peas

Spinach
Sprouts
Squash, Spaghetti
Squash, Summer
# Yellow
# Zucchini
Swiss Chard
Tomato
Tomato Juice
Turnip Greens
Vegetable Juice Cocktail
Water Chestnuts
Watercress
Wax Beans
Zucchini
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 13:19

BF:

thanks very much.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 214.5/141/150 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Good job on your first few good weeks of loss!
Please move into phase II...even if its just an apple a day...you'll still see loss...you need to get your body amped up to processing good carbs as you lose the weight or your body will not process them well, when you are at goal.

There are very good reasons why we use all the phases of SB...not just phase I. Even now in maintenance, I float bewteen the phases to manage my 124 lbs loss. If you never go to phase II, you will not know what or how to do that.

Thank you for the advice I'm going to do so in January. I plan to just do the normal routine for now during the holidays, so there's no confusion. In 2009, I'll incorporate Phase 2, along with more vigorous excercise (another love of mine). My goal is 175 by January 1st. Then it's 1 lb per week to 160 and maintenance thereafter
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 12:41

BF:

Ladies, are you all using oil spray to cook? I am finding it hard to manage on 2-3 Tsp of oil, I do a lot of stir-fried food (meat+veg) and omelette. So not sure if I should start switching my cooking and go for casseroles/ roasting cooking... but that takes longer to cook.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/162/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 27%

^^ I always use spray to cook eggs/omelettes. Olive oil for stir fry and veggies, but I don't do those that often. Usually steam my veggies and grill or bake my meat/chicken. Or use the crockpot, I do that often.