Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 20:04

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 182/145/145
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default About the fudge???

I made the fudge from the recipe that is somewhere on here....

I only had Sugar Twin for the sweetner so I used that. The fudge turned out terribly awful. Worse than terribly awful.
It really was that bad.

Do you think it had something to do with the sweetener I used? What else could it have been? Other than the sweetener everything else was used just as on the recipe. I hate to try it again considering how much I threw out. I don't know where to find Splenda here... (Texas)

Does the sweetener make a big difference in the taste of the sweet treats?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 14:54
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Not sure what fudge recipe you used but I do know that a lot of artifical sweetners have a nasty aftertaste when heated. Suprised you haven't anyone selling Splenda there. Walmart, Kmart, Walgreens all sell it up here.
Stevia is an option, too. Probably won't find that unless you go to a health food store.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 16:40

BF:
Smile Thanks

Thanks, I will check at those stores. I just assumed it would be at the grocery store, but it's not.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 19:35

BF:
Default I found it!

I finally found the Splenda at the grocery store today!!

I got home and made some hot chocolate with it and it was so delicious. The sweetener really does make a difference. I tried the hot chocolate with the Sugar Twin before and it wasn't as good.

I finally had a sweet that I REALLY was able to enjoy!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%

Personally I cant tell the differenace between Sugar Twin and Splenda, but cant stand stevia. I guess we all percieve sweetness differently.

I dont suppose you want to toss out that recipe though do ya? Sounds good :P

Here's one for you if you're a peanut butter fan:

Protein PB Bars:
2 TSP Peanut Butter
2 TSP Butter

Melt in microwave, then add:

1/4 CUP protein powder (vanilla is good, gonna try out chocolate this weekend)
1/4 CUP SugarTwin/Splenda
1 TSP liquid sweetner (can be omited)

Then I like to add in a quarter cup of Flax Seed as well. The nutty flavour goes perfectly with the PB flavour, and gives your bars a bit of texture.
Just mix it all in with the melted PB & Butter and then shape into bars, or even cookies if you want. Then chill them for like 30 min. Also tastes great if you dip it in yogurt then freeze them.

I've been eating these like mad lately, the whole recipe (including flax) is 10.5 carbs. So if you make 4 bars out of it, thats only 2.5 per bar. Excellent source of protein too
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 20:51

BF:
Default The hot chocolate recipe?

I didn't know what recipe you wanted... but the hot chocolate is just a coffee cup with half and half, heavy whipping cream and a little water with some cocoa and splenda.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 01:40
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I know this is an old thread, but Psilocybin... ... may I please throw myself at your feet and vigourosly kiss them? Your Protein Peanut Butter Bar recipe is a Smash Hit! I swear it's better than commercial LC bars, this one tastes almost as if there were figs or dates in it, like a fruit&nut bar... And the peanut isn't very dominant either. They're rich, they're crunchy yet moist. Oh, what a yummy snack for Xmas! Exclusive treat! For anyone, not just LCers.

I made them tonight, tweaked the recipe just a little since I used my own home made peanut butter (totally chunky and not creamy at all since I have no coffee grinder or foodprocessor - used a knife and mortar/pestle instead, but still very nice and no chemicals in it, unless you count Splenda as a chemical...). Here is how I did it.

----------
Peanut butter (mkms recipe)
500g/17.64 oz oil roasted and salted peanuts, finely chopped and ground
3 tsp Splenda
50 ml/1.7 fl.oz peanut (or sunflower) oil
50g/1.76 oz butter in small pieces

Mix into container and store in fridge.

Nutritional value per serving (1 tbsp/15g): 94kcal, fat 8.49g (sat: 1.71g, mono: 2.4g, poly:3.96g), cholesterol 2.8mg, sodium 65.95mg, Potassium 87.54mg, net carbohydrate 1.26g, fiber 1.2g, protein 3.38g. Good source of Niacin and Vit E.

----------
Protein Peanut Butter Bar tweaked à la Gil 6 pieces
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp butter

Melt in saucepan.

Stir together (to avoid lumps):
20g/1/4 cup protein powder (I used TwinLab TripleWheyFuel*, chocolate)
40g/1/4 cup crushed flax seed

Add:
1 tbsp (or the equivalent for 50g sugar) liquid sweetener, 0 carbs
2 tbsp rich Greek Yoghurt (10% fat, 6% protein, 4% carbs)
1 tbsp no carb vanilla essence
+ melted butter&peanut butter

I made 6 small sausage rolls from this, instead of 4, as I though that would be rich enough. Calculated scrutinously through Fitday and came up with ...*drumroll*... 1.17g netcarbs per piece.

Store in fridge.

Nutrition per piece/serving: 111 kcal, fat 9.33g (sat: 3.33g, mono: 3g, poly: 32.67g), cholesterol 15.83mg, sodium 78.49mg, Potassium 128.49mg, net carbohydrate 1.17g, fiber 2.33g, protein 6g. This is also a rich source of Vitamin E.
----------

Now, after I'd mixed all original ingredients, in spite of adding on to the amount of peanut- and butter, it wouldn't keep together at all, way too dry. I therefore threw in the yoghurt I originally planned to roll them in as well. Plus added a little vanilla. Did they cling or what?!! Totally yummy texture, hence my association to figs, perhaps. An idea might be to roll them in almond- or oatmeal afterwards, to make them a bit less sticky on the outside.

Highly recommended as a weekend treat.

gilibel - totally "decraved" after one single piece

* Twinlabs Whey proteins have changed in formula recently, which left the product with a sour, unpleasant aftertaste. I still have a batch of the old&good one, but am now in the process of finding another brand with better taste... Such a shame.)

Last edited by gilibel : Sat, Sep-27-03 at 09:18.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 07:33

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/174/142 Female 65.5 inches
BF:32.5%/30.2%/20%
Progress: 16%

gilibel,
For your Peanut Butter recipe is it 3 tablespoons of spenda or 3 teaspoons? It would be extreamely helpful if you could clarify that for me. Thanks a bunch! ~CindyLynn~
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 08:52
Phoenixa

WHOOPS. Thank's for the correction.

That should read 3 TEASPOONS.
Best of luck!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 18:43

Plan: just eating junk food!JK
Stats: ???/105/??? Female 5'3
BF:

hi gilibel,
how did you figure out the nutrition per piece of this
one? or just any food in general? im having a hard time
figuring things out...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 18:45

Plan: just eating junk food!JK
Stats: ???/105/??? Female 5'3
BF:

oh another thing...do i really need the yogurt for this
recipe?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 18:52
Phoenixa

Hello Honeybfly!
I register every tiny little ingredient on a blank, new page at Fitday.com, using the utmost accurate proportions of it I can find. When the whole list of ingredients is registered properly, I chose the tab "Reports" in the left side menu of Fitday, then chose "Am I meeting my nutrient requirements?" and Fitday will show the exact amount of vitamins and minerals in the recipe and if they reach RDA or not, in percent. As for the other things - kcal, fat, carbs, protein etc, you have a Total already on the main Fitday page, up right, just above where you registered the stuff.

In order to customize the recipe into a new entry in Fitday, I open a separate window of Fitday and chose "New custom food!" "GO" and just copy over all the values from the other window, name it something silly (this protein bar, with my modifications, I've called Homemade Poo Bar for instance...) and save. Voila!

Hope it helped!
If not, feel free to get back and ask some more...

Last edited by gilibel : Tue, Oct-07-03 at 19:04.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 18:59
Phoenixa

Default Yoghurt

The original recipe, posted by Psilocybin further up the thread, didn't have yoghurt mixed in. Psilucybin suggested that one could dip them in yoghurt and then freeze them as an alternative version.

My first try out batch didn't stick together very good, so I tried to add the really fat (10%) and rich Greek Yoghurt I had at home and it turned out delicious! It doesn't taste of yoghurt at all, it just adds a fresh tang to it.

But, just go ahead and experiment. That's part of the fun. As long as you keep track of what you've put into it so you can calculate the nutrition afterwards, you'll be safe. And be warned, it's quite sticky. Wash your hands thoroughly before start, you'll need to work the "dough" with them and it cakes up in your palms after a while...

Best of luck!
/gil - on my 8:th batch of Poo Bars by now... yum.