Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 13:07
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%
Default Adverse reaction to thyroxine?

Hi, has anyone had any reactions to taking thyroxine? My mother took her first pill today, and she said she first felt Ice cold, and it was uncomfortable. Then that went but she was in the market, and she felt almost suicidal, she felt like she wanted to get in a corner and cry. Then she felt that lifting a little, but was left confused and like she couldn't be bothered to do the shopping, and a little paranoid.

Had anyone had anything like this?

I have told her she is not to take another tablet until she can get some advice because to me, these symptoms do not at all seem right.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 16:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Nope, never heard of a reaction like that. She should definitely call her doctor.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 18:45
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
Hi, has anyone had any reactions to taking thyroxine? My mother took her first pill today, and she said she first felt Ice cold, and it was uncomfortable. Then that went but she was in the market, and she felt almost suicidal, she felt like she wanted to get in a corner and cry. Then she felt that lifting a little, but was left confused and like she couldn't be bothered to do the shopping, and a little paranoid.

Had anyone had anything like this?

I have told her she is not to take another tablet until she can get some advice because to me, these symptoms do not at all seem right.

I think it would be wise to call a doctor on this one. Here is the brand-name list of side effects:

If you think you are having an allergic (hypersensitivity) reaction to ELTROXIN, TELL YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. Symptoms include:

Severe skin rash, itching or hives.
Swelling of the face, lips, mouth or throat.
Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Fever.
Low blood pressure (feeling faint or dizzy).
However, these symptoms do not necessarily mean that you are allergic to ELTROXIN.

Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following:

Diarrhoea
Vomiting
Palpitations (irregular heartbeat)
Chest pain
Sweating/flushing
Weight loss
Muscle weakness/cramps, tremors
Rapid breathing
Fever
Headache
Inability to sleep
Feeling restless/excited
The above side effects are rare with ELTROXIN and usually mean that your daily ELTROXIN dose is too high.