Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/140/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default headaches

Hi,
I've been on the Induction diet for 5 days now and I am experiencing REALLY BAD headaches. I've read the Atkins Diet Revolution a couple of times this week and his suggestions for pain relief are not working. I'm also concerned about taking anything as the book reads that medications can reduce the effectiveness of the diet. Has anybody else experienced this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?
Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:30

Stats: 154/154?/135
BF:
Progress:

iare you taking minerals with your vitamins?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 14:25

Stats: 145/140/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm taking multi-vitamin. I tried to match the ingredients as closely as I could. The rest of the minerals, oils, etc. overhwlemed me. Which minerals would you recommend?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 14:35

BF:
Progress:

i just took multivitamin tablets with minerals added. i think i heard potassium is good esp. if you are light headed as well

apparently it could be a lack of water you should be drinking 2 to 3 litres a day.

or maybe you are too deep in ketosis and you should up your carbs by 5 to 10 if you are induction then maybe you need more vegies or some salad

hope some of this helps
gem x
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 14:37

BF:
Progress:

o also it could be a caffeine withdrawal. if you drink lots of coffee and you've cut it all out maybe you should just wean yourself off
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 15:55
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Cool induction blues

Hey, it's NORMAL to get some headaches in your first week or so of induction. It's your body's way of revolting against you and your new WOE. It helps to drink plenty of water and take a good multivitamin on top of following induction as close as possible. Deviation can have adverse effects. Make sure you're counting your carbs correctly. Keto-stix are helpful but not completely accurate. Medications can cause probelms with weight loss too. You'll see several threads about these things as you go.

As long as you're doing your induction as prescribed, you should be through the "headache" phase pretty soon!

Good luck!