Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/Adkins
Stats: 300/290/165 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Question arthritis problems

Since starting this diet, I've lost 30lbs. This should've helped with the arthritis pain I get in my knees. (Yes, I'm 26 and have arthritis.) But it's just the opposite. My knees are more stiff and sore now, than before.

Is this happening to anyone else?

-Nati
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 04:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Not I, after a few months I've had to stop taking my arthritis meds (I just turned 35) - haven't taken them since about March. I still have some pains here and there - but tolerable without medicine.

Hang in there, each of our bodies are different it may take you just a little longer to see some benifits.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 09:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Nati_A

I have severe arthritis in both knees and was in a lot of pain. Sometimes I would want to cry, sometimes I would. I started taking 1200 glucosamine/condroitin/day split into three doses. The pain went away in three days. I still have some stiffness and clicking though. I have been on this regimin for three years.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 14:27
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nati,

Yes, my arthritis deteriorated since starting this WOE. It improved considerably since adding fish oil capsules. I was taking NSAIDs regularly but had to stop since they were increasing my blood pressure rather too much!

The glucosamine/chondroitin should help (I can't take that either!). I've had the best relief from taking regular paracetamol - usually 6/day - 3g.

Otherwise, I can only reassure you it's bound to improve as you get closer to goal. Congratulations on losing 30 pounds!

I did read somewhere that for some of us with arthritis it's best to decrease the carbs gradually, rather than dropping suddenly to 20g or so. Alas, I'd been low carbing for months when I read that.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 22:37
Registered Member

BF:

I've doubled my MSM/Glucosimine intake, so I'm up to 2000mg now. I felt a bit better today, but mornings are still rough. It just about kills me to go down the steps.

Unfortunately, the bathroom is downstairs. *sigh* And of course that 100oz of water daily causes me to limp my way downstairs at about 6am.

I'll see if I can find some fish oils soon. Until then, I may have to start taking 600mg of Motrin before bed. I hate eating that late, but Motrin is too hard on the stomach otherwise.

-Nati
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 00:59

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power/Sugar Busters
Stats: 166/158/145
BF:
Progress: 38%
Smile No more arthritis pain

Take cod liver oil capsules (or other fish oil). No need to drink the liquid stuff. Forget the recommended amount - take 3-6 of the small ones or 2-3 of the large ones everytime you eat. Be sure not to overeat because you don't want to reflux this stuff. Because it is just oil it will not interfere with your diet at all.

I dicsovered this on accident. I was taking lots of fish oil capsules, to help my Multiple Sclerosis, because they are anti-inflammatory and help the body control its own immune system. As a side affect the unbearable pain in my ankle and hip went away and for the first time in months I stopped taking perscriptions for the pain. That was almost two years ago.

Since then I have heard many medical reports of the benefits of fish oil on arthritis, but I know it works because I use it. Whenever I discontinue the fish oil the pain comes back after about one month. When you start, you should begin to feel better in the first week, but be patient; the full benefits don't kick in until a few weeks later.

Hope this helps - Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 01:40
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nati,

If you do get fish oil capsules, make sure you get the "enteric coated" ones, otherwise you'll have to suffer through some rugged fishy burps.

I take 2, 3 times a day (with meals).

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 08:09
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Sorry, I gave you the standard dose for glucosamine/condroitin.

For people over 200 the dose increases, forevery 50 additional pounds, the dose increases again. I take five of these a day. Sorry, didn't look at your stats and didn't want to overmedicate you.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 10:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Exclamation

Glucosamine should be used with extreme caution by diabetics and persons with blood sugar or insulin resistance problems. Studies suggest that it can even increase the likelihood of developing insulin resistance in persons with normal blood sugars.

Quote:
Glucosamine Sulfate : A Popular Arthritis Remedy May Be Linked To Diabetes

by Cathy Wong

Glucosamine is a substance that occurs naturally in the human body. It provides strength, flexibility, and elasticity to cartilage and connective tissue by stimulating the production of glycosaminoglycans, molecules that hold joint tissue together. Glucosamine also decreases inflammation that can lead to joint destruction.

With the potential to repair damaged joints and slow the progression of osteoarthritis, glucosamine has become an immensely popular dietary supplement around the world; in 1999, glucosamine was the top-selling dietary supplement in the United States, with annual sales of US $288 million.

However, a few clinical reports have suggested side effects that even health practitioners were initially unaware of. One woman reported that her diabetes symptoms worsened after taking glucosamine.

Why?

Glucosamine is ten times as potent as regular glucose in causing insulin resistance in animals. It can increase fasting blood glucose (sugar) levels and worsen glucose tolerance.

These side effects occur because glucosamine activates a metabolic pathway in the body that leads to the deterioration of insulin-producing cells in the pancreas and causes insulin resistance, two factors associated with diabetes. Researchers at Johns Hopkins recently found that activation of this pathway, called the hexosamine pathway, causes proteins to be coated in sugar, preventing them from passing along insulin's message to regulate blood glucose.

Many studies have been conducted around the world on glucosamine, yet these side effects have not been noted. It may be that only certain people will react. Further study is needed on the safety of the oral supplement form. Until then, people taking glucosamine sulfate should consult a natural health practitioner.

article at about.com
Judi [IslandGirl] posted the Johns Hopkins Study in our Research forum back in April 2002 ... you can read it here.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 20:38
Registered Member

Stats: 289/277/155
BF:
Progress: 9%

Well I'm 30 Years old and I have arthritis (actually suffered from it since 14, when I was in a wreck and my leg was crushed) I just feel this way...The more weight I lose the less weight and pressure I'll have to put on my leg!! Just dont give up it'll all work out
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 00:55
Registered Member

BF:
Default MSM?

I finished up my MSM/Glucosamine, and don't think I'll be getting any more. I've got enough insuline resistance problems, don't need any help there.

I've been taking Extra-strength Fish Oil capsules daily (6-9). It seems to be helping, but not as much as I'd like. I don't want to over-do the Motrin, because that's what gave my mother an ulcer and reflux problems.

I was wondering is plain MSM would be effective? Does it cause the same insulin problems as Glucosamine? Any ideas?

THanks
-Nati
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 13:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Smile

hi Nati,

MSM should be helpful, along with the fish oil. Another member, Ka3n, posted some excellent information about MSM .. you can read it here. MSM may actually be helpful for blood sugar and insulin balance as well.

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 19:49
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks!

I'm down 40lbs now! :-D

-Nati