Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 13:40

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Maureen's Ultra Exercise Log!!

05/14/02
Time for an exercise log. I've been logging my workouts on my food diary so here goes.

Today's exercise-Hike 1 hour up/down Cowles Mtn.
Exercise sit ups (180) Weights arms only with lighter weights, stretching of back and legs, rolled out the ITB and calves on the 6" roller. Did foot circles 25 in each direction for each foot.

This is a rest week for my big race on Saturday! I'm getting excited and I hope all my hard work will pay off. My "core" feels stronger and I think that will propell me late in the day. My weight is at a point that I've raced at before, the extra seven pounds I was carrying is noticable. One pound at a time I'll feel lighter and the strength I've developed will help.

After this race and the recovery I'll start working on my legs. I was doing lunges for awhile but it bothered my knee. I'll try again and go really easy. Note to self *Order Dan's book for reference.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 13:36

BF:
Default 05/15/02

Slept in till 5a.m. Walked Lucy at the lake, she wanted to turn around early so I let her. Found out her colitis is acting up again.

I'm in rest mode so I'll only stetch out tonight and try to get to bed early.

It's been four weeks on Schwarzbein.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 17:35

BF:
Default 05/16/02

1 hour hike up and down Cowles Mtn. Lucy is feeling much better today, she dranks lots of water at the top and the finish. I went to my acupuncturist today, she said my pulse was good and I am very strong right now. That's good news from her, usually she says I'm worn out. I'm really getting excited about this weekend! Need to rest tonight and sleep in till 5am on Fri.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 14:44

BF:
Default 05/17/02

Slept in till 5:30 a.m. Walked Lucy at the Lake. Tapering/resting sucks! I have lots of nervous energy. I'm so excited about tomorrow I can hardly stand it!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 16:28

BF:
Default 05/18 - 05/19

100 miles in 33.5 hours! We did it! What an experience! I had a great time (for the most part) had a rough spell around mile 25 and then again from miles 52 to 68. After mile 68 I knew that I would make it. I tried to keep track of my food consumption but that didn't work! I ate about 200 calories an hour and drank plenty of fluids. I'll put a report on the list in the next day or two. The first 50 miles results can be found at www.lostboysultra.com (results 2002) Our second 50 miles was not connected to the race in any way, we where on our own. I will submit a report to the UltraList.

Today I walked Lucy (my dog) at the lake. She wanted to go short and that was fine by me! My feet are sore (blistered, toenails dead, etc) I'll walk her again tomorrow and try to get back to hiking this Thurs. I plan on putting my weight bench (some assembly required) together this weekend so I can start to work on my leg strength.

Take care,
Maureen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 16:42

BF:

No exercise Wed or Thurs, I walked Lucy this morning at the lake. I WILL set up my weight bench this weekend and work on the upper body, no legs for another week.

Bad case of poison ivy from May 11th! Hod to go to the Doc for a shot and meds. That's nasty stuff!

Swelling in feet is almost gone, feet are still a little sore and blisters are starting to heal. Maybe a good soak tonight.

I'll walk Lucy in the a.m. and maye get on the treadmill, depending on how I feel.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 12:50

BF:

I walked Lucy at the lake on Saturday. I finally got my weight bench set up yesterday! I'm sure it will help, especially with leg work.

I ran/hiked for 5 miles this morning at Cowles Mtn. Total time 1:19. I can't believe how good I felt. I didn't have "dead legs" so it must be THE FOOD! THis afternoon I'll stretch and do my floor exercises.

OH! Weight is now down to 165! Very exciting as 167 was a set point for me. The next hurdle will be 163. I'll have to work hard to push it past that. I'm very grateful that I've lost 8 pounds in the last two months. Slow and steady works for me.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 12:51

BF:

Make that nine pounds in the last two months!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 16:22

BF:

One hour hike up and down Cowles Mtn with Lucy. She had ablast, good on the leash and she sure sleeps when we get home! All done on an empty stomach. Had a test early this morning so I didn't exercise (sit ups, etc) Will try again Wed morning!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:03

BF:

May 29th, walked Lucy at the lake.

May 30th, Cowles Mtn again, 1 hour up and down.

May 31st, rest day. We traveled up to Fish Camp, it's over 400 miles from San Diego. Checked in and ate dinner.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:12

BF:

June 1, 2002

Shadow of the Giants 50K. The race started at 7am, had a three hour cut-off for the first 22K. I think it was closer to 25K cuz I really had to hustle to make that. Did make the cutoff, stopped for a bathroom break and got one of my shakes from the cooler, drank that and headed back out. My legs were really tired for this race as I haven't totally recovered from Lost Boys. I'm glad I ran though because this race had the most beautiful course that I've ever run on!

I did catch up with a friend of mine and we ran together. We entered the one mile loop of giant sequoias and took a lot of pictures, they should turn out nice. We gutted it out for a finish time of 7:45-7:50, well under the eight hour cut off. I was pleased with the results as we took a lot of time to enjoy the scenery and my legs were just not back to their usual strength.

My food was good during the race, I ate nine Gu's, one protein shake, one Zone bar and I drank Coke and ate orange slices at each aid station.

My only problem was that my calves were cramping almost the whole time! They cramped at Lost Boys too so I'm not getting something in my minerals or they need strength training.

This week I plan on getting back to doing my sit ups, weight training and floor exercises. This is VERY IMPORTANT in my program and I don't want to get away from it.

Tonight I get a massage and I'll take it easy, tomorrow I'll hike and start exercising.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 16:56

BF:
Default Back on Track!!!

06/11/02 Finally, I'm back on track. Hiked up and down Cowles Mtn (one hour) and came home and did my exercises 180 sit ups, 60 lunges, exercise ball stuff and weight training. I started on my legs today on my new weight bench. It works pretty well, I did leg extensions and knee lifts (I think that's what they're called) I'll have to look up in my weight book. I'm now working on getting my hamstrings stronger as they are weak. I'm also stretching more as my left calf and entire leg has been tight since the 100 miler. I'm also noticing that I have been fatigued and that I need to get lots of rest! There's a fine line between getting rest and getting up early enough to do my training.

Tues & Thurs leg work. Mon, Wed, Fri sit ups and exercises.

Future goal, get under 160 pounds by July 30th. Any more will be a bonus. I think I'll be adding muscle with my weight training and the pounds might not drop much. I want to be really strong for the JMT fastpack and anything under 163 will be my lowest weight in ten years! I'm also setting a realistic goal.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 17:01

BF:

06/12/02 45 minutes on the treadmill with a ten pound pack. Weights, sit ups, legs. Walked Lucy at the lake too.

06/13/02 1 hour hike. Went to acupuncture for my monthly appointment. Man, she worked on my back and calves. Hurt like hell on the calves but it sure helped! I can't believe how tight they get. I must continue stretching!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 17:05

BF:

I lost the weight I was holding on to after my carb relapse so I'm back to 165.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 13:07

BF:

06/14/02 Rest Day

06/15/02 Repeats of Cuyamaca Peak fire road. Each trip is 5.6 miles and we made three trips each one with negative splits. I kept track of the uphill time. Each time (2.8 miles up) as follows, 53:20, 52:50, 51:08. The last one was really hard!

Total mileage was 16.8
Elevation gain each trip up was 1700 feet over 2.8 miles.
Excellent training day!

I used 4 GUs and ate two Zone bars for a total of 150 carbs for exercise.