Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-07, 08:30

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Are sweet potatoes magic?

I LOVE sweet potatoes and have them with my dinner about twice a week. I bake them, add a pat of butter, cinnimon, and a packet of splenda, mix it up and it's like my dessert. But, here's the kicker, I began noticing that each time I have one at dinner, the next morning, I have a whoosh of weight loss, anywhere from 1 to 2 lbs. less than the day before, usually more like 1.6 or 1.8 lbs. less. So last night, keeping this possibility in mind, I had another sweet potato with my dinner, prepared as usual, and wouldn't you know it, I was 1.8 lbs. less today. Is there some sort of correlation or could it just be pure coincidence?

I'm certainly not complaining and I will be sure to have this on a regular basis, but I do find it very interesting.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-07, 09:08
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

LOL...sure, blame it on the sweet potato!!

I'm not one for scientific explanations because I'm not an expert. But IME, I recall floating between a phase I and II type of approach to my weight loss. It kept my body guessing as you are doing also.

I seems to me that our bodies do adapt to the level of food we give it each day and that if that level remains the same for a period of time, that our body does adpat....by switching things up on a regular basis, you can avoid this adaption.....just like you are doing by ot eating the sweet potato daily.

Good Job!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 21:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200/186/140 Female 5' 2"
BF:Way too much
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
I LOVE sweet potatoes and have them with my dinner about twice a week. I bake them, add a pat of butter, cinnimon, and a packet of splenda, mix it up and it's like my dessert. But, here's the kicker, I began noticing that each time I have one at dinner, the next morning, I have a whoosh of weight loss, anywhere from 1 to 2 lbs. less than the day before, usually more like 1.6 or 1.8 lbs. less. So last night, keeping this possibility in mind, I had another sweet potato with my dinner, prepared as usual, and wouldn't you know it, I was 1.8 lbs. less today. Is there some sort of correlation or could it just be pure coincidence?

I'm certainly not complaining and I will be sure to have this on a regular basis, but I do find it very interesting.

Believe it or not - I once saw on a cooking show that sprinkling "Malt Vinegar" on your sweet potatoe is good - anyway, always ready for a new mouth disco, I tried it and it IS amazing - weird sounding, but really really good. Can't eat it any other way now - same as squash.

3 weeks on SB, phase II now, and 12 Lb's lost - my blood pressure is also down from 198/104 to 140/70 .... still need to get it lower and will keep up the exercise as it seems to be helping overall, but I'm pretty happy about that. My doctor can't believe it and I am now trying to educate him about the SB WOE - ha ha! I did start on the high blood pressure meds, but only 1mg and only about 1.5 weeks ago, so he's doubtful it would have that much effect so fast.

My tummy and waist really seem to be reducing quite a lot - and WAY more than when I was on Weight Watchers and fitting in all my bad carbs into my WW daily points! I'm down from XL to Med too in some clothes.

This forum / site is helping so much .... it's great to have this, thanks everyone

Ms A
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 22:03
Attitude is a Choice

Thats a great result Ms A!!

Now that you've entered phase II, what have you added into your food plan?

Yes, I hear you on the WW points and fitting all that crap food into the points.....bad idea...IMO!!

This is a much better way to eat for the long term....learning what is good and healthy and avoiding those nasty processed carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Thats a great result Ms A!!

Now that you've entered phase II, what have you added into your food plan?

Yes, I hear you on the WW points and fitting all that crap food into the points.....bad idea...IMO!!

This is a much better way to eat for the long term....learning what is good and healthy and avoiding those nasty processed carbs.

Thanks Jydynyc:

As you suggested in an earlier post .... I have added in my steel cut oats but ALWAYS have some protein after it/with it.

I have also added one apple in the afternoon, but I spread some organic peanut butter on each piece. I can't believe how good this is - my neighbour recommended it, and it's like a sinful desert! I never would have thought about the combo myself, but it's sooooo good.

When I would eat apples in the past I would sometimes get hungry afterwards, but not with the peanut butter on it.

I have had two bagels so far, but it's the Silver Hills organic bagel made with all organic whole grains from the health food store and is very low in sugar ..... I also make sure I have it with low fat cream cheese and some tomatoe slices.

Mostly I have the steel cut oats AND protein for brekky, sometimes an egg with mushrooms and/or tomatoe and lean back bacon, but now and again on the weekends I do like to have the bagel, cream cheese, & tomatoe - but will never go back to those "other" bagels! Ha ha.

I find now though, at lunch, I really just enjoy a big huge salad with all kinds of veggies in it, and avacado, and a good olive oil/vinegar dressing, and some chicken or prawns tossed in, or tuna.

Or I make a delicious coleslaw with green and red cabbage, and a dressing that I make from grape seed oil, dijon mustard, and rice vinegar - wonderful!! - and I have that with some chicken or low fat mozzarella cheese. I don't miss the sandwiches at all.

I haven't added rice back in yet - I'm buying some brown rice today - will only have 1/2 cup and will start that in week 4 next week. I have had one sweet potatoe in week 2 and that seemed ok - no cravings or sugar highs with anything I've added back in. I'm being super careful though 'coz I don't want to go back to how I was before - I'm so happy and thankful to be free of the cravings, and always feeling hungry - it's amazing!

Dinner is mostly lean protein, or fish, and lots of veggies (broccoli, mashed cauliflower, asparagus, sprouts, a little sweet potatoe sometimes).

I have also treated myself to some organic cocoa (plain, sugar free) - really deep bitter rich cocoa, and I have that with 1% milk and the wholesome foods organic ZERO sweetener. I really enjoy that some evenings.

I'm thinking of adding grapefruit back in next week - I love fresh whole grapefruit and Dr. A. says it is pretty good along with apples as far as the GI levels, and good for us of course.

I'm in heaven!!

Ms A
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 15:44
Attitude is a Choice

The only thing that I'd caution you on is the flour that the bagels are made with...even though it is whole grain flour is still a highly processed grain product and best added when you are further down the line.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 15:49
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I read somewhere that when you at something so high in fibre it makes you drop weight. I use to get this with Dreamfields Pasta. Guaranteed, every time I ate a portion of it I dropped weight the next day.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 11:48

Quote:
The only thing that I'd caution you on is the flour that the bagels are made with...even though it is whole grain flour is still a highly processed grain product and best added when you are further down the line.

Thanks Judynyc - will keep that in mind .

Just added some organic blueberries to my steel cut oats - wow! Delish. Off to have my low fat cottage cheese now

So, with the Silver Hills bagels would you say maybe week 7 or 8 to add them in, or even later???

Like I say, I only have one on the weekends and will always have it with protein now, as per Dr. A. During the week I stick with my steel cut oats, but will wait a little longer before adding bagels in as you suggest - don't want to take any chances!

Cheers,

Ms A
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 11:52
Attitude is a Choice

IME and IMO...flour in general is best to add when you are close to your goal weight, ie: last 10 lbs. Having a bagel on the weekends may not seem like a problem but it can become one over time.

Stick with grain as whole as possible for the next 20-30 lbs.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 13:31

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 238/218.5/158 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 24%

I'm thinking you weren't eating enough carbs and the sweet potato puts you where you need to be resulting in more weight loss.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 22:39

Quote:
IME and IMO...flour in general is best to add when you are close to your goal weight, ie: last 10 lbs. Having a bagel on the weekends may not seem like a problem but it can become one over time.

Stick with grain as whole as possible for the next 20-30 lbs.

Awesome - thanks Judy!

Ms A
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 23:40
Registered Member

Plan: SBD mostly
Stats: 175/130/128 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Also be aware that the nutritional serving size for all grains (per the FDA food pyramids, not just an SBD thing) is 1 oz or about 30 gms. It looks like from the Silver Hills web pages that those bagels are 80 gms each, so nearly 3 servings of grains in a single bagel. And actually that is a smaller than your "average" bagel which often run in the 90 -120 gm range. So when you do decide to add them in, just use a half to get down into a more normal range for a grain serving.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 09:09
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze219
Also be aware that the nutritional serving size for all grains (per the FDA food pyramids, not just an SBD thing) is 1 oz or about 30 gms. It looks like from the Silver Hills web pages that those bagels are 80 gms each, so nearly 3 servings of grains in a single bagel. And actually that is a smaller than your "average" bagel which often run in the 90 -120 gm range. So when you do decide to add them in, just use a half to get down into a more normal range for a grain serving.

Thats great info Blaze!! Thanks and welcome!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 12:33

Quote:
Thats great info Blaze!! Thanks and welcome!!

Thanks Blaze ... great info on this board.

I'm actually enjoying my steel cut oats with blueberries, with a little light cottage cheese or lean protein afterwards, much more than the bagel these days .... so think I will just hold off and wait until I'm at goal before adding the bagels in. Will keep it to half too - that's great info.

I'm just amazed how much stuff I DON'T miss now on SB! It's awesome!

** OH JUDY ... what is IME and IMO flour??

Ms A
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 13:50

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms A
** OH JUDY ... what is IME and IMO flour??

Ms A

I believe Judy was saying "In My Experience" and "In My Opinion" before sharing what she did about flour, not talking about a type of flour. I get mixed up with all these internet acronyms sometimes, too!