Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 18:42

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 155/150/135 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Phase 2 Yogurt Question

Hi there! I have a quick phase 2 yogurt question I was hoping someone could answer. In phase 1 we can have up to two cups dairy a day, which includes yogurt. This has saved me because I am not a milk drinker but I LOVE the nonfat plain yogurt with vanilla and equal. I have probably consumed about 1 1/2 cups a day during phase 1.

The food list on Phase 2 says that you can have 2 to 3 cups of dairy a day, which includes yogurt. But...underneath the yogurt listing it says this:

MILK/DAIRY
(2-3 cups allowed daily, including yogurt)
Yogurt
artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt (limit to 4 ounces daily and avoid varieties that contain high fructose corn syrup)

Does this mean that I can now only have 4 oz. of yogurt a day on Phase 2???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 19:24
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

HI!

It really depends on how closely you need to follow rules. It would be better for you to not eat only yogurt and use a variety of proteins.

I eat 1/2 cup daily of Dannon carb and sugar control yogurt, raspberry . It has 1 more gram of sat fat than SB allows. But its the only no sugar added yogurt I can find and that I enjoy. So I allow myself to have it.

So if I were you, I'd go ahead and eat up to 1 total cup of yogurt daily. Nothing says that you have to eat all of the dairy that we are allowed...its a guideline.

The whole point of phase II is to find foods to eat for continued weight loss but also to create a food plan for maintenance. So if you can eat 1.5 cups of yogurt a day and not get bored....go for it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 19:55
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 240/203.4/145 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

"It has 1 more gram of sat fat than SB allows."

Judy, can you explain this please? I'm currently eating Dannon lowfat natural plain yogurt (1c has 3.5 gr fat, 2 gr saturated fat, 16 gr carbs, 11 gr protein). I don't recall seeing any hard fast rules about the saturated fact content of lowfat dairy products (this particular yogurt is 1.5% milkfat).

It has less fat than the lowfat yogurt in the good fats, good carbs guide.

Thanks for taking your time to explain all of this to those of us who haven't quite mastered the program yet. I can't tell you how much you are appreciated.

Debi
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 20:34
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1959
"It has 1 more gram of sat fat than SB allows."

Judy, can you explain this please? I'm currently eating Dannon lowfat natural plain yogurt (1c has 3.5 gr fat, 2 gr saturated fat, 16 gr carbs, 11 gr protein). I don't recall seeing any hard fast rules about the saturated fact content of lowfat dairy products (this particular yogurt is 1.5% milkfat).

It has less fat than the lowfat yogurt in the good fats, good carbs guide.

Thanks for taking your time to explain all of this to those of us who haven't quite mastered the program yet. I can't tell you how much you are appreciated.

Debi

Quote:
MILK/DAIRY
MILK/DAIRY
(2 cups allowed daily, including low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt)
Low-fat milk (fat-free and 1%)
Fat-free 1/2 & 1/2 (less than 2 tablespoons)
Low-fat plain, vanilla, or sucralose-containing soy milk 4 grams of fat or less per 8 ounce serving). Be sure the product does not contain high fructose corn syrup
1% or fat-free buttermilk
Low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt

This is where I get this guideline. The Dannon I eat has 3 grams of fat total- 2 grams sat fat per 1/2 cup serving..... which is really not that bad.....to me anyway. I'm more interested in keeping sugars out of my food...a little sat fat is not an issue in my mind.

As newbies to the plan, it really is best for you to eat according to the guidelines and as you progress and learn your own limitations, then you can find what works best for you.

I always hesitate to share what I eat today as I do bend the rules a lot...but I am maintaining for almost 3 yrs now so I guess its OK for me. Being on this board with all the Atkins people, has lessened my fears of fat....I do use EVOO and do not use any butter....so this is where I bend my rules.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 14:14

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 155/150/135 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks a ton Judy for your input!!