Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 01:09

Plan: Paleo/Anti-Candida/CFS
Stats: 185/172/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default New here...but not to low carb

Hi everyone,

I've known about candida and suspected I have had it for over four years now, but never seem to have the willpower to stick to a diet. My symptoms have gotten so much worse since I had my daughter last year. I am almost positive that my inability to produce enough milk to feed her was a result of candida.

Anyhoo, I'm here to make a new start and beat this once and for all. I can't seem to lose any of my baby weight, and I want to beat this stuff before I have my next child (not pregnant now, but we want to conceive this fall).

My husband is almost 50 lbs overweight. He needs to lose weight too, but becomes super depressed whenever we've tried to do the low carb thing. I'm not sure how to balance our meals. He wants to try a modified low carb (like Sugar Busters or CAD) because he needs just a little carbs in the form of fruit.

Does anyone have any tips for recipes that are candida friendly and will also be okay for him?

From what I remember, anti-candida is pretty much meat and veggies all the way. Is there ever any hope of me being able to eat cheese or brown rice or wheat bread again? I get so depressed when I think about having to eat just meat and veggies for a long period of time. (I was a vegetarian for almost three years, and preparing meat is not my favorite thing to do).

Thanks,
Courtney
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 04:23

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

On SugarBusters you eat whole grains, and plenty of protein sources, which ordinarily would be lean beef and chicken. If you have problems eating meat, I would go check out the section of the boards entitled Vegetarian Low Carbers. It is under the section called Low Carb Health and Technical Forums.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 12:59

Plan: Paleo/Anti-Candida/CFS
Stats: 185/172/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I love eating meat! I just don't know how to prepare it correctly. I was a vegetarian during my formative cooking year (14-18) and have no idea what to do with it besides stick it in a pan and turn the oven on.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 14:00

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Satueeing is easy. You can sautee fish, chicken, steak, pork chops in olive, or coconut oil or butter. Make your own seasoning blend to avoid sugar in commercial seasonings. I like to use salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili, onions and garlic. If you have a crock pot, you can make stews, pot roast, etc. just put meat, seasoning, vegetables in it, water and it'll cook all day, by dinner time it'll be ready.
It's not a meat and veggie diet. You can eat eggs, dry curd cottage cheese (minimal lactose and not moldy), home-made yogurt (to make it lactose-free). Avocados are great because they are low in sugar and high in good fats. Coconuts in all forms (except for sugary coconut juice, check labels). Heavy whipping cream if it has no additives like carraegean. Nuts should be soaked for 24 hours and then slow-roasted to neutralize enzyme inhibitors (Sally Fallon: Nourishing Traditions).
Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 15:20

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

My favorite way to prepare meat is to stir fry. Heat oil in a pan, and once it is hot add meat. Stir for a few minutes and it is done.

If you aren't feeling capable and have extra money you can buy meats already prepared at the grocery store. You may get more sodium than you might want with it though.

My grocery store has cooking instructions out by the meat counter for various cuts of meat. Or I have asked the butcher how I should cook it, and for how long.