Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 09:42

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default weighttraining help

I have been doing pilates for a few months now, and I am thrilled with the results. Now I would like to add some sort of weights to my routine, but i'm not quite sure where to start. i would like to continue to tone up all over, but Think Ineed to build especially in my shoulders and back. I am not quite the pear shape, but with itty bitty shoulders and a larger chest ,I look out of proportion.what exercises should I do to build my shouldersand maybe my back to balance it all out? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by becky25 : Thu, Feb-03-05 at 13:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:25

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Definitely spend time training the entire body. For shoulders, you have the military presses, dumbbell presses, bent press, side press and a few others.

For back, you have deadlifts and pull-ups. These take a little more time and effort to learn and master. Alternatively (and less effectively), you have dumbbell/barbell rows, many machine type rowing variations and pull-downs from a lat machine. Snatches and swings are also very effective at building shoulder and back simultaneously.

Some may say that these are not good exercises for a beginner to learn, but I disagree. You're better off learning the more difficult techniques before you build up strength doing other things. I like Pavel's analogy "You wouldn't fire a canon from a canoe."
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:34

BF:

ok. i have a book on weights somewhere, but I didn't know where to start. i guess i'm afraid of looking bulky. thats why i started the pilates, because i heard they don't do that. do you think I will be ok on my atkins to build muscle? i've never been one to exercise much, so I know I'll need to start slow, but after losing a few lbs, i have this urge to totally transform myself.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:

Hi. Here is an excellent website for women wanting to weight train. It's a lot of fun to read and tons of information. Explore this website and then if you still need advice, etc. come back and ask.

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights_index_revision.html
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:58

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH
Definitely spend time training the entire body. For shoulders, you have the military presses, dumbbell presses, bent press, side press and a few others.

For back, you have deadlifts and pull-ups. These take a little more time and effort to learn and master. Alternatively (and less effectively), you have dumbbell/barbell rows, many machine type rowing variations and pull-downs from a lat machine. Snatches and swings are also very effective at building shoulder and back simultaneously.

Some may say that these are not good exercises for a beginner to learn, but I disagree. You're better off learning the more difficult techniques before you build up strength doing other things. I like Pavel's analogy "You wouldn't fire a canon from a canoe."

I completely agree. I do all these exercises and they have worked wonders on my upper back and shoulders; AMAZING wonders. Do those presses. In fact, do all these exercises. There is nothing better.
By the way, if you can, I'd focus on the free weight variations rather than the (lat) machine. You get a better workout.

By the way, again, if you have a couple of $$ to spend on some equipment, i'd invest in a kettlebell (or 2). They are absolutely some of the best & most versatile freeweights around. This is the website:
www.dragondoor.com
There's a book on the site called "kettlebell training for a femme fatale" It is a pretty hardcore workout (the exercises are basic and NOT gender specific,) written in a fun way ("this exercise will make your backside look great", etc.) I would recommend this if you want to include strength training in your lifestyle.

Last edited by lilli : Thu, Feb-03-05 at 14:06.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 10:59

BF:

I think the book I have is muscle mechanics, i also have the body for life book, but its kind of unspecific. what size weights should I use. we have a whole set of free weights, but i haven't the slightest idea of which ones to use.and do different exercises go with different size weights?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky25
I think the book I have is muscle mechanics, i also have the body for life book, but its kind of unspecific. what size weights should I use. we have a whole set of free weights, but i haven't the slightest idea of which ones to use.and do different exercises go with different size weights?

Laying all this out in detail could get quite lengthy. In an effort to avoid information overload, I'll keep it basic.

There are tons of websites that have demos of exercises that will give you an idea of how they are performed. Find someone that can help you and start practicing the movements you want to focus on using light weights. Gradually work up to heavier weights until you hit a point to where, if you went any further, your form would start to break. This will give you a projected max to work with. The best rep range for muscle density (tone), will be < six. This should put you in the range of 75% and greater of your projected max. Stay within this range majority of the time.

My recommendation would be to start with something like 5 sets X 5 reps using your 6-7 rep max. One exercise per muscle will be plenty to start with. Recovery time will be minimal, allowing you to train more often.

Why don't you lay out a basic plan of how you think you would like to start and then we can help you make adjustments if necessary?

At this level of training, it's really very easy to get started.

My wife and I have been training together for a few years and this reminds me of when she first started to go to the gym with me.

She got it in her head one day that she wanted to learn the three basic powerlifting exercises, bench press, deadlift and squats. We worked on it 3-4 days per week and got her pushing some respectable weights. Right now, she is at 130 lbs on bench, 185 on deadlifts and 165 on squats. She's 44 years old and making steady gains.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 11:50

BF:

thank you very much. im going to try to put together a plan and then I will run it by you. thanks
becky
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilli
I completely agree. I do all these exercises and they have worked wonders on my upper back and shoulders; AMAZING wonders. Do those presses. In fact, do all these exercises. There is nothing better.
By the way, if you can, I'd focus on the free weight variations rather than the (lat) machine. You get a better workout.

By the way, again, if you have a couple of $$ to spend on some equipment, i'd invest in a kettlebell (or 2). They are absolutely some of the best & most versatile freeweights around. This is the website:
www.dragondoor.com
There's a book on the site called "kettlebell training for a femme fatale" It is a pretty hardcore workout (the exercises are basic and NOT gender specific,) written in a fun way ("this exercise will make your backside look great", etc.) I would recommend this if you want to include strength training in your lifestyle.

I love using the kb's I have and plan to move up to the two heaviest weights. I'm going to pick up some clubbells soon, too.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 20:41

BF:

thank you galatia. the site is very informative. i will be sure to ask questions if any come up!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 125/122/95 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Hi. Here is an excellent website for women wanting to weight train. It's a lot of fun to read and tons of information. Explore this website and then if you still need advice, etc. come back and ask.

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights_index_revision.html

Great info! thanks for sharing
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 21:19
Registered Member

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 125/122/95 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky25
I have been doing pilates for a few months now, and I am thrilled with the results. Now I would like to add some sort of weights to my routine, but i'm not quite sure where to start. i would like to continue to tone up all over, but Think Ineed to build especially in my shoulders and back. I am not quite the pear shape, but with itty bitty shoulders and a larger chest ,I look out of proportion.what exercises should I do to build my shouldersand maybe my back to balance it all out? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Becky,
WOW! So the pilates really work that well? I've recently started Bikram yoga and it seems to be working ok. HUm? Myabe I should try pilates...
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 21:35

BF:

hi brandieb!
yes i absolutely love the pilates! i have never been one to exercise, actually i hate it mostly, but i started doing it not that long ago, and i already notice a difference. the motions were a little difficult for me at first, but i can do them pretty well now. i have found that even when my weight doesn't change, or God forbid goes up, i still feel smaller in certain areas, like the hips and thighs. i notice it in how my jeans fit. i also think i am standing straighter as i am more aware of all the muscles in my back and abs. now i'm more interested in working out in other ways, hence the question about weighttraining. i would definitely recommend it to you.
becky
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 10:05
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hiya Becky!

wow, you've gotten some great advice already. I love the stumptuous site, too. The important thing with weights is to lift the amount that challenges you, and increase it gradually as you can. Form is the most important thing...... KBThun's advice to start with really light weights until you master form is spot on. I also like this site, 'cuz it has the little videos showing you how to do an exercise. I'm always checking it out. Stop by my gym log, or galatia's if you want some training partners!