Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 10:18
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%
Default What are the basic differences???

Hi,
I have been on Atkins for about a month with a weight loss of 9lbs. I did not follow it strictly because I did not want to give up my nightly vodka, so my results could have been different. During that time I became concerned about Atkins being safe and bought the South Beach Diet book. I never really figured out how to do it? With Atkins you new what you could eat and I didn't see that in the SB book. Did I miss it or not read it good enough? Can someone tell me what the basic differences are or how to read the book so it will be idiotproof which is what I need. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 310/216/225 Male 6'-4"
BF:34/20/20
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine9
Hi,
With Atkins you new what you could eat and I didn't see that in the SB book. Did I miss it or not read it good enough? Can someone tell me what the basic differences are or how to read the book so it will be idiotproof which is what I need. Thanks

I don't have the book in front of me, so I can't quote page numbers, but there's a section called "Foods to Enjoy" and another called "Foods to Avoid" for Phases 1 and 2. No food list for Phase 3.

Similar to Atkins in Phase 1, except that SBD encourages low-fat cuts of meat and low-fat dairy products, as long as the lower fat isn't replaced with carbs.

Phase 2 is where you'll see the biggest change between Atk and SBD. SBD re-introduces fruit, cereals, all veggies, but never high fat.

Good luck..........
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 06:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/151/120 Female 5 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 44%

Bill L,
Thanks for answering, I've been wondering the same thing. Although I am following atkins and am quite happy with it I'm always open to new ideas. But I am a bit confused, the following is from the Atkins Website and explains how to reintroduce foods after the two week induction period. Is there a significant difference in adding back other foods with South Beach?

The Carbohydrate Ladder

As you move from one level to another, add carbohydrate foods back into your diet in the order that follows. Your ability to add all the food groups back depends upon your degree of metabolic resistance. For example, someone with high metabolic resistance would probably not be able to add legumes back during Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL), while someone who is young and works out regularly might well be able to do so. Few people can add back all these foods during OWL. Adhering to this order tends to minimize blood-sugar surges that could reactivate cravings:

1. more salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list
2. fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
3. seeds and nuts
4. berries
5. wine and other spirits low in carbs
6. legumes
7. fruits other than berries and melons
8. starchy vegetables
9. whole grains

First I'm not an authority, but it is my understanding Atkins encourages you to check the carb count and glycemic index when making choices to add back food s does South BEach use the same premise?

Thanks for your response.
JulieT

Last edited by JulieT : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 06:41.