Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 12:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 273/257.2/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Reccomendation on Potassium Supplements!

I have a question about potassium. I have been told that many people take a supplement because it helps with leg cramps and to replace the potassium gets washed out with the increased amount of water ingested.

How many milligrams or I.U.'s of potassium should I take a day? Should I take them in the form of hard pills or softgels?

Also, what brand of multivitamin should I purchase that doesn't have iron in it?

I appreciate all of the great answers!

SabbyKay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 12:36
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I use Nature Made Potassium gluconate which has 90 mg potassium. It's a hard tablet and I think was on sale for $3.
I think the ultimate choice of the type you pick will depend on how much money you're willing to spend and whether you prefer hard tablet or softgel.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:31

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

I am also starting to have problems with cramps. It is driving me nuts.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:26
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%
Talking Magnesium!!!!!

I posted almost the same question last week, and a wonderful person told me I needed magnesium and calcium added for those leg cramps. It has made a HUGE difference in just a few days. Get a supplement that has mag and calcium.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:33

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I take potassium, magnesium and calcium for this problem and volia! no more leg cramps. I found a mag. supplement that has calcium and then I take a potassium supplement also. As far as multivitiamins with no iron I think you just have to read the label or ask your pharmacist to recommend one.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 16:10
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi SabbyKay,

To answer your potassium question, the Drs Eades (of Protein Power) recommend supplementing with 400 mg daily while in the weight loss phases, decreasing to 100 mg when on maintenance. You can buy 99mg tablets or you can use a potassium salt such as No Salt and simply sprinkle it on your food.
If you take the tablets, do take with food as they can irritate the tum, and anyone taking diuretics or BP meds should check with their pharmacist before supplementing with potassium. And spread the dose through the day - don't have 'em all at once.

And yes, I agree totally that calcium and magnesium are the answer for the leg cramps. We need at least 1000mg calcium and 500mg magnesium daily - 1500 and 750 if postmenopausal. As it happens, these two minerals work best if taken together. I believe you can get 330:166 mg tabs (where I come from we get 250:125). They don't last for more than 12 hours, so it's best to divide the dose. One with each meal seems a good idea.

As for the multivitamin, I just stare at labels.

Happy low carbing!

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 16:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbyKay
I How many milligrams or I.U.'s of potassium should I take a day? Should I take them in the form of hard pills or softgels?
Hi Kay. While it's true that salts like potassium do get washed away when you LC, and when it's hot outside, it's less true that this supplement will help with leg cramping. That is more a sign of magnesium (and calcium) deficiency and less of a potassium shortage.

The following are recommended doses for all 3 supplements:

The general consensus is to supplement potassium with 400mg a day for the duration of fat loss. Supplementing once in maintenance may be necessary on very hot days or on days when intense exercise is likely. Potassium can be obtained in pill form or from numerous salt substitute such as "NuSalt" or "Morton's Light Salt", a potassium salt-substitite. 1/8th of a teaspoon of NuSalt provides over 500mg of potassium. You should always be well hydrated when taking potassium, and if you suffer from a heart condition or are on medication for blood pressure or a heart condition you should consult your doctor first before supplementing with potassium.

The RDA for Calcium is 1000-1500 depending on age and sex. It is 400-600 for magnesium, also dependant on age and sex. You can usually get both minerals in one supplement in a ratio of 2:1 (333mg calcium / 167 mg magnesium). Be sure that calcium comes in a chelated form (Citrate/Malate etc) - do not get calcium carbonate from oyster shells (it is less well absorbed). Take 2 or 3 the pills throughout the day (one with each of your meals) and save one for an hour before bed - magnesium haa a soothing effect and will help you sleep well, it will also take care of any night cramps.

HTH
-Nat
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 16:21

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The multi-vitamins marketed for "mature adults" do not usually contain iron. One brand is Centrum Silver. I use the Costo "Kirkland Mature Adult" since it is cheaper.

Mike
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 07:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Exclamation

The caution against iron is directed at men and post-menopausal women. Younger women who are still menstruating are losing iron with the monthly losses. Also, persons engaged in vigorous exercise .. especially running and cycling .. can lose considerable iron in sweat. And more recent studies show that previously sedentary women who take up a moderate exercise program can become iron-depleted (article)

Eating red meat is not a guarantee of adequate iron intake -- or absorption. The RDA for iron is 15mg for men and older women, and 18mg a day for younger women. An 8 oz. lean sirloin steak provides 6mg, 2 large eggs provide 1.6mg (from the yolk, there is negligible iron in the white). Some vegetables and nuts provide iron as well, but it's a less-absorbable form than from meat.

Although a few studies suggest that too much iron can lead to heart disease problems, there are other studies that show too little iron is just as bad. I suggest it's not necessary to avoid supplemental iron unless you're an older adult, or have bee diagnosed with high stored iron levels or a chronic blood disorder called hemochromatosis. The truth is, supplemental iron is typically poorly absorbed anyway .. usually less than 10%.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 13:21

Stats: 227/202/185 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I take Country Life CalciumMagnesiumPotassium(500/500/99mg) tablets that I purchased at the Vitamin Shop. Got rid of my abdominal cramps experienced during hard ab workouts
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 15:16

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I like GNC brand called Calcimate. It has calcium, magnesium, and potassium all in one. I take 4 a day and don't get cramps anymore and sleep better.