Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 261/216.2/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Happy2be's exercise adventure

Hello all, I started back to the gym yesterday after taking a 2 month break. Not by choice by lack of will power. When I was working out before I did the eliptical trainer, crunches, and weights. Yesterday I went back and started out kind of light. Did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 75 crunches, and worked my legs, butt, and hips on the machines. Today I will be doing 30 - 40 minutes cardio and 75-100 crunches and then working on my upper body.

I am looking forward to making the journey and getting tips.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Okay, first tip.

Switch your workout order. Resistance first, THEN cardio.

Better workout, burns more fat.

Keep it up!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 14:48
Registered Member

BF:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I used to do it that way when I was working out every day a couple of months ago and competeley forgot about that.

I always felt better when I did it that way. Thanks for the tip, I will have to convince my friend to do it that way too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 15:10
Registered Member

BF:

Cool.

There was an article in Men's Health in November. Link about it here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...65&postcount=44
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 07:33
Registered Member

BF:

Well I went to the gym last night. My friend couldn't make it with me but I still went. I worked on my arms first, then did 80 crunches and then 20 minutes on the arc trainer. I love that thing. I was on it for 20 minutes, sweated a whole heck of a lot and burned 242 calories. I would have went longer on it but couldn't because the gym was closing.

I am going swimming today with my friends and then hope to go the gym tonight.

Built ~ Thanks for the link, what a difference.

Last edited by Happy2be : Wed, Jun-30-04 at 07:40.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 12:33
Registered Member

BF:

You're WELCOME. And yes, TOTALLY!

#7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 08:42
Registered Member

BF:

Good Morning. I didn't make it to the gym last night but plan on going tonight and doing twice as much cardio to make up for it.

#8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 11:10
Registered Member

BF:

No need to do double the cardio - just hit the weights real good, and maybe do 25-30 minutes of cardio instead of 20. Sometimes, we need a down day. Helps you heal.

#9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 13:29
Registered Member

BF:

So its more important to do weights harder than cardio? I thought that it was the cardio that made you lose weight. Its my day to do lower body today so should I do lower and upper then today and then just do 30 minutes cardio since I haven't done weights since Tuesday?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 15:59
Registered Member

BF:

Cardio burns fat while you do it. Lifting burns fat FOR THE REST OF THE DAY, and even into the next day if you hit the weights hard enough.

Focus on your lifting. Cardio is not useless, but it's vastly overrated for fat loss.

And yes, do your plan the way you suggest. You don't want your muscles to forget how to lift.

- Built
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 08:10
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the tips. I did hit the weights hard last night but just did lower body. I usually do 2 sets of 15 but did 3 sets last night, then I did 100 reg. crunches and 15 to each side. Then 25 minutes on the arc trainer. I felt pretty good after my workout but was so hot!!!

I really hope that I can make it to the gym today to work on my arms but I don't know if I will or not. I wish now that I would have done them last night but I wasn't sure what to do. Darn it!!!! I don't think I will make it tomorrow because my grandma wants to take me shopping for my bday and I have a lot of things going on tomorrow and then sunday the gym is closed so I better make it there tonight. We'll see what happens. My friend is supposed to do my hair tonight so we shall see what happens.

So do you think I hit it hard enough? By the third set I could barely finish the last 3 or 4.

I have lost 2 lbs since I started this week.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 08:22
Registered Member

BF:

One more question? Is it better to alternate upper and lower body workouts one per day? or can I do upper and lower body all in the same day. I was doing it that way for awhile but then thought it would be better to give the muscle that I worked the day before a rest. Is that neccesary or can I do it everyday. Or just do everything all in one day and then take the next day off from weights completely and just do cardio?