Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 09:05

Plan: CAD
Stats: 167/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default barefoot peeps - a question

Is skipping barefoot on concrete ok?
I do my lifting workouts at home in my basement and I have one kettlebell, one skipping rope, and a yoga mat so far. I like to skip between kettlebell exercises.

There is a thin carpet over the concrete if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 09:06

BF:

Oh I should add I tried it yesterday.

Total skipping time under 5 minutes and I don't feel bad or sore or anything today.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 220/210/200 Male 6.1 inches
BF:
Progress:

if you jump properly on your foot balls it makes no difference what surface you're "skipping" on.
BTW it's almost impossible to jump barefoot improperly on a concrete...
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 09:44

BF:

Thanks motif! It felt good, I feel good today, but there is a part of me that has been trained to think I need cushioning on concrete.

Kind of like I've been trained to think I need whole grains to be healthy.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 11:55

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

No, most barefooters consider concrete the ideal surface to develop good form.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 12:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacontooth
Thanks motif! It felt good, I feel good today, but there is a part of me that has been trained to think I need cushioning on concrete.

don cats need cushioning on any surface ?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 13:39

BF:

thank-you so much!!

Good to know I can trust my instincts.
Sad though how over the years our natural inclinations about so many things have been crushed by well meaning adults and "experts".
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 07:08

Plan: :D
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

i hope i'm not threadjacking but it seems kinda relevant to the topic

i went barefoot walking on a blacktop track for over a mile and it felt great, i could have gone on for miles. til i realized the bottom of my foot was sort of skinned. and that's when it started stinging.

i'm not too girly, the bottom of my feet are kinda tough, but this was a surprise. should i wear moccasins? let the foot heal and go again to toughen them up more?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 07:57

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocula
i hope i'm not threadjacking but it seems kinda relevant to the topic

i went barefoot walking on a blacktop track for over a mile and it felt great, i could have gone on for miles. til i realized the bottom of my foot was sort of skinned. and that's when it started stinging.

i'm not too girly, the bottom of my feet are kinda tough, but this was a surprise. should i wear moccasins? let the foot heal and go again to toughen them up more?

Yes, you have to let them adapt. I am pretty adapted and I do 4-5 mile barefoot runs regularly, but ran for the first time on an asphalt trail barefoot for 4.5 miles and I thought I was going to die. It depends on the kind of asphalt they use. My feet were adapted for concrete sidewalks, but not for that "chip and seal" asphalt. Just take it slow.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 08:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Abebe Bikila run barefoot marathon and won...

Quote:
Adidas, the shoe sponsor at the 1960 Summer Olympics, had few shoes left when Bikila went to try out shoes and he ended up with a pair that didn’t fit comfortably, so he couldn't use them. A couple of hours before the race, Abebe decided to run barefoot, the way he'd trained for the race. Bikila was warned by Niskanen about his main rivals, one of whom was Rhadi Ben Abdesselam from Morocco, who was supposed to wear number 26. For unknown reasons, Rhadi did not acquire his black marathon bib before the race, and instead was wearing his regularly assigned track and field bib number 185.

The late afternoon race had its start point and finish at the Arch of Constantine, just outside the Colosseum. At the start of the race the Australian Ron Clarke made a comment to Bikila about running barefoot.

During the race Bikila passed numerous runners, looking for the runner with number 26. By about 20 km, Bikila and the runner with number 185 had created a gap from the rest of the pack. Bikila kept looking forward to find the runner with number 26, who unbeknownst to Bikila was running right beside him. They stayed together until the last 500 m, when Abebe sprinted to the finish line. Bikila won in a record time of 2:15:16.2, becoming the first black African to win an Olympic gold medal. He finished 26 seconds ahead of Rhadi.

After the race, when Bikila was asked why he had run barefoot, he replied, “I wanted the world to know that my country, Ethiopia, has always won with determination and heroism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abebe_Bikila

#11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 09:02

BF:

Wow! Cool article Motif.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 18:34

Plan: :D
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Yes, you have to let them adapt. I am pretty adapted and I do 4-5 mile barefoot runs regularly, but ran for the first time on an asphalt trail barefoot for 4.5 miles and I thought I was going to die. It depends on the kind of asphalt they use. My feet were adapted for concrete sidewalks, but not for that "chip and seal" asphalt. Just take it slow.

thank you, and yeah i didn't know if i was gonna make it in the house after

that is an interesting article and i love that he was right by his rival without knowing