Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 19:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5ft 9 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Will soy milk mess up induction?

Hi, I was craving something and bought 2 carb soy milk. Will it stop the process or just stall me a bit?It has been a week on Atkins and I am craving pretty bad. I really want to do the induction right so I will start burning fat .My doctor really wants me to do this for high chol and trig, and glucose. I hope it works. I feel much better today after taking calcium,magnesium and chromium. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 07:45

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 315/231.4/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

If you go to the atkins website there is a list of induction approved foods. You might try looking there.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 08:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/140/140 Female 5'7"
BF:35%/21%/19%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by limu1222
Hi, I was craving something and bought 2 carb soy milk. Will it stop the process or just stall me a bit?It has been a week on Atkins and I am craving pretty bad. I really want to do the induction right so I will start burning fat .My doctor really wants me to do this for high chol and trig, and glucose. I hope it works. I feel much better today after taking calcium,magnesium and chromium. Thanks for all the help.

One of the biggest pitfalls for new low carbers is only looking at the big red "Only 2 carbs" words on the front of a carton, but not reading the official government label on the side of the carton. You need to know the serving size. Is it one cup (8 ozs)? How big are your drinking glasses? Bigger than an 8 oz measuring cup? One big glass of this product, or several a day can add up quickly to 10 carbs or more. You've only got 20 carbs on induction. You can't afford to use your any of your precious induction carbs on this because your body desperately needs the nutrition in salads and veggies more than it needs soy milk. I know you don't want to hear this, but it sounds like milk is a problem food for you. If you feed the craving for milk with milk substitutes, you are simply contining the craving cycle. Things you feed, don't go away, ever -- like stray cats. The only way to break the craving is to stop drinking milk altogether. It will take a few days of self control, but the craving will go away if it is ignored. Try increasing your water intake tremendously during this period. That should help. Don't get discouraged. You can do this and the results of your efforts will astround you and make you laugh at the very idea that you would trade them for a glass of soy milk.......Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 18:19

BF:
Progress:

Lisa, Hi thanks for the good advice. Actually, I dont drink milk, only soymilk. Just wanted somthing different for a day , I am doing much better, feeling much better. I am sticking to the induction all the way now. I just needed some help. The atkins book says during induction, on the sample menu, you can have zucchini nut bread, then it says no nuts???? That was alot of my confusion, either follow the permitted foods or the sample menu. So I am sticking to the induction list only. Thanks so much for your helps to everyone Rhonda
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 19:25

Plan: vegetarian-mod atkins
Stats: 238/225/145 Female 58
BF:
Progress: 14%

hi Rhonda! Are you vegan??
If you are - I'm vegetarian and am trying to keep it low on the dairy. I drink a lot of soy milk too (milk is gross). Again - if you are - do you have any creative food plans?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/140/140 Female 5'7"
BF:35%/21%/19%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by limu1222
Lisa, Hi thanks for the good advice. Actually, I dont drink milk, only soymilk. Just wanted somthing different for a day , I am doing much better, feeling much better. I am sticking to the induction all the way now. I just needed some help. The atkins book says during induction, on the sample menu, you can have zucchini nut bread, then it says no nuts???? That was alot of my confusion, either follow the permitted foods or the sample menu. So I am sticking to the induction list only. Thanks so much for your helps to everyone Rhonda

Rhonda,
Nuts aren't part of induction, although they can be added in moderation (24 peanuts is a serving, for example) in OWL. Nuts present a problem for some low carbers, causing them to stall. Some folks simpy can't stop at 24 nuts. It's better to choose walnuts and or almonds as your first nut selection. Walnuts, particuarly are self limiting -- you can only eat so many of them before you get fed up with them. You know yourself, so when you are out of induction, be careful with nuts until you know how your body and mind respond to them. As to the zuccinni bread, personally, I wouldn't go there in induction for best results (and results are what it's all about, isn't it?). Low carb bread (various manufactuers, read the lables carefully) might be just as good a choice in OWL. You will have lots of time to experiment in OWL and to learn how many carbs you can eat and still maintain your weight loss......Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 16:31

BF:
Progress:

Carol. Hi thanks for the post. I am not vegan. I was earlier in my life. How in the world are you doing this without meat? Soy, nuts etc??? I just eat healthy,normally so thats where the soy milk comes in for me. As far as the creative food plans, I was curious about yours. I normally eat small amouts of meat but now I am eating more Thanks Rhonda
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 23:46

Plan: vegetarian-mod atkins
Stats: 238/225/145 Female 58
BF:
Progress: 14%

Rhonda - i'm completely new to this, and haven't done much research, so I'm doing bars, shakes, and soy based meats. I have a feeling it will get old after a while
But I just found the vegetarian section of this and I'm excited!
Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 00:00

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Picking the right foods can get confusing! I did paste induction foods in my gym log, on page 1, if you want to check it out! I found it buried on the atkins site when I was researching last year. Best of luck in your journey and remember that there are lots of folks around here that are very knowledgeable!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 00:05

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Last edited by MissScruff : Sat, Aug-27-05 at 00:43.