Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 13:02
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%
Default Rev Roll or OOpsie question??!!

I know I'm probably the one person on earth that is in this WOL and HASN'T tried these. Can someone tell me what they taste like? EGG or bread or ???
I was going to try some, but can't stand the thought of them being like a small quiche roll...ya know what I'm saying, folks? Please give me your take..like 'em, hate 'em...can't live w/out 'em???

If I must, I will go to the store and get me some of that cream of tarter and whip up a batch!

Thanks,
Juli
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 13:43

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I just made some. One batch had garlic, onion, dill and sharp cheddar cheese. It was good and didn't taste "eggy". The second batch had Italian seasoning and added flax seed and it was also good. Need to make a pizza with them. In both I used mayo instead of cream cheese. Both were baked in muffin-top pans.

Another batch I put sf lemon pudding in and used cream cheese. I think I added some cream and a little water to thin it out. I baked it in mini muffin pans. The fourth batch I put a scoop of chocolate whey powder, cocoa, coffee crystals, and Walden's sf chocolate syrup, 6 drops Sweetzfree and cream cheese. I baked them in regular muffin pans. I filled both with some LOL sf whipped cream and they were delicious.

I don't know if they should crumble as easy as they do. I think I need to sore them in the fridge first. I find they a are really good addition to my eating plan.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 13:47

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Vote here for regular rev rolls (don't care for oopsies at all). When making the plain ones, I use mayo, and the sweet versions, pumpkin, coconut flour or peanut butter (see Kerry's recipe in the sweet treats forum for Cream Cheese Pumpkin Rolls - all the recipes are in that thread).

Can't live w/out 'em!!!! I make mine in muffin top pans and they come out perfect every time.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 13:50
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!

Cool beans! I guess I'll keep watching for some more ideas and get some darn cream of tarter...(whatever that is..LOL)
Thanks, ladies!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 15:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/125/120 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 80%

cream of tarter is in the spice aisle, it is in a small container.

I am making my second batch of oopsie's as I type. As soon as the first batch was done I made for dinner a "philly" cheese steak (frozen 100% beef steak, onions, cheese and mayo) with my oopsie, it was wonderful and what else would someone from philly make LOL !!!

Mine this time (it is my second time making them) were just a tad crummy, so I guess a tad is normal? They are so good and have no egg taste at all
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 19:19
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

The first batch of Oopsies I made tasted like egg to me. Um ... sweet eggs, no less. My kitchen smelled like I had baked a souffle! Now, I like eggs just fine, so that was no problem, and I ate them all. But the second time I made them, I omitted the sweetener and added about 1/4 tsp each of garlic powder and onion powder. I found that that batch didn't taste like eggs at all, nor did my kitchen smell like eggs. I liked them much better to use as bread. I think it would be fine to add the sweetener if the intention is to use the Oopsies as a dessert type of thing, or for french toast, etc.

ETA: I have never made actual Rev Rolls, just the Oopsies.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 19:33
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I like the oopsies but hated the Revolution Rolls. It's definitely a personal preference! (I hate the taste of eggs)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 04:38

BF:

Well, now, I don't find that the original rev rolls taste like eggs at all. Definitely a personal preference, and these things come and go on the boards all the time....next week it will be something else!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 07:28
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

I agree, Betsy. I am surprised at the popularity of the oopsie rolls and feel very blessed so many have liked them. I won't ever be offended when folks don't.

Friends are life. Food is fuel.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '92
Stats: 245/220/130 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 22%

Well...

I have said it before and I will say it again, the original rev roll recipe is the best, if you are having trouble with egginess then it's the technique, not the recipe.

The first time I made them they came out a bit eggy and undercooked in the center, I simply put them back in the oven for a few more minutes to finish cooking them.

Then I started experimenting with cooking methods and times, I knew the recipe was fine it was just my technique that needed work.

All ovens are different and therefore will cook slightly different, it is always best to learn your oven and adapt your recipes to it rather than adapting recipes to your oven.

If your rolls come out eggy in the center then you are cooking too hot or not long enough.

If they are still pale and not browned then bake them a bit longer, in 5 minute increments until they are done, then make a note on the recipe about the time.

If they are browned but still pale and eggy in the center then you need to turn the heat down and cook them at a lower temperature for a longer amount of time.

I had the latter problem and I adjusted my baking temp and time accordingly until I realized I could convection bake the rolls (funny how I missed that button on my stove for so long) and they would come out perfectly, every time without fail, I will never go back to regular baking for rev rolls again.

I have a stand mixer now, and it has drastically changed the way the batter comes out, before when I only had a wimpy hand mixer the whites were beaten until stiff but now they are mega-stiff! and it makes a much better batter, in fact the same recipe that made 9 rev rolls now makes 10 because of the added volume.

But no matter how you mix them, make sure you have the white beaten until stiff, and warm the cream cheese in the MW before beating/whisking then add the egg yolks one at a time, beating/whisking after adding each one, the CC and yolk mixture should be creamy and bright yellow, not lumpy.

I also use the beaters with the egg whites on them to mix the yolk mixture, just to lighten it up a bit, but sometimes I skip this step and it still comes out great.

Fold the yolk mixture into the whites gently but firmly, don't worry about clumps of white, only worry about the yolk mixture being totally incorporated into the whites, clumps of whites don't matter, clumps of yellow do, for they puddle and sink to the bottom which makes the roll eggy in spots.

At the risk of Betsy swooping in on my egg ring pimping I will show you where I made a post a while back about how I made the rev rolls, here is a link Rev Rolls

The only thing I do differently now is I only use 3 ingredients, eggs, cream cheese and cream of tartar. I still sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of the ones I use for sandwiches and sausage muffins though, but sometimes I just experiment with other things for fun using the basic recipe as a base.

FWIW I have tried the oopsies and I thought they were horrid, don't fix what ain't broken imo.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 08:31
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

It's not the technique. It's the lack of cream cheese.

But, ok. I admire that we all have different experiences. I don't disregard that folks like the RR's. I just never liked them and have been subjecting myself to them since 1984 (I'm a second generation Atkineer).

I think the extra fat in the recipe makes the difference.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 08:37

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(

and... the REAL Atkins Rev Rolls called for cottage cheese.

Lots of improvements have been made since the 70s. I use them all! anything and everything goes in my recipes.

Cuz you never know when you're oops will be the best thing since sliced bread.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 08:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S
At the risk of Betsy swooping in on my egg ring pimping I will show you where I made a post a while back about how I made the rev rolls, here is a link Rev Rolls

Now, Sandi, whatEVER would make you think that? Oh, BTW, have you used coconut flour yet?!!!

Nice synopsis, though.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 08:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra
I think the extra fat in the recipe makes the difference.

I think that's my question ....what IS "the difference"? I have no problems with my original recipe revs "holding up a burger" or being substantial in the least. I bake them for 50 minutes, and put them in the fridge in a zip lock w/holes in it - perfect consistency. I bake them in a muffin top pan, spread a base first and piled the rest on top.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '92
Stats: 245/220/130 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
and... the REAL Atkins Rev Rolls called for cottage cheese.

Now funny you should mention that, I was at the market a few days ago and found this cottage cheese that is pressed so it has the consistency of cream cheese, I bought it to use in a rev roll recipe next time I make them.

It's called Pressed Dry Cottage Cheese, made by Western Dairy and at 1/4 the carbs of cream cheese (Canadian) and half of the American cream cheese I will switch to this if it works out well.