Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-25-11, 12:54

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%
Default How about Naturopathic Doctors?

Many people (like Patina) have mentioned frustration with their physician's reluctance to endorse their low carb WOE.

Just wondering, what's peoples' experience with the non-mainstream practitioners? Like Naturopaths?

Last edited by Syrah : Wed, May-25-11 at 23:13.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 00:31

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I'd like to try one but I am not willing to shell out the $$ since my insurance won't cover it

course, I don't go to a regular doc either!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 08:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been going to one to get natural thyroid meds and for hcg injections for the HCG diet. Some are also knowledgeable about treating adrenal fatigue and high RT3. They listen and take a lot of time with you because they usually charge by the hour (or portion thereof)! So they're not in a rush to get to the next patient.

One thing to watch out for is that they might try to push their supplements on you. I'd suggest NOT buying them from the ND and buying them from iherb.com or swansonvitamins.com or somewhere else, because they always inflate the heck out of their supplements.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-11, 11:19
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

It seems to me the problem here in the US is that for any doctor to get approved to accept insurance, he has to agree to the major medical associations' standards of care.
So I've about given up on finding a doctor that doesn't automatically push statins, or tell me to eat egg white omelets because saturated fat will kill me and LC will destroy my kidneys...

I did see a homeopathic, LC friendly doctor out of my own pocket a few years ago, it was great having care I believed in, but my money ran out. :-(
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 09:59

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%

I just went to my New Dr today (Naturopath) And I think I love him!!! He LISTENED to ME!!!! OMG!!! He spent over a Hr with me, asked questions, gave me a LC plan to work with, is taking soooo much blood work, and told me he will make me feel like me again... and only stop when I feel good... not when my blood work says I do!! Give it a try!! I waited 2 months for this appointment, and I am so glad I did!!! And he takes my insurance!!! WOW!

Dee
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 10:19

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

My ND is the first medical person who actually tested my vitamin and mineral levels and found massive low levels of D3 and iodine. whereas my Kaiser MD just said, in answer to why I couldn't lose weight, said I was just in menopause!

I do find her a little eager to go to supplements as a solution as opposed to real food.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 12:02

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I think for some things some NDs may be appropriate, but considering the generally low level of training and experience, and the level of goofiness many of them seem to believe in, I am nervous about them in general.

A women in my neighborhood is working on her ND. I am totally unimpressed with the level of training required.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-11, 09:53

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
It seems to me the problem here in the US is that for any doctor to get approved to accept insurance, he has to agree to the major medical associations' standards of care.
The nurse practitioner I see doesn't accept insurance. But she's worth every penny I pay her as she prescribes Armour thyroid for me, which my regular doctors utterly would not even consider. I think "synthroid" and its ilk are the standard of care that doctors seem to be required to prescribe.

My NP also calls herself the "low carb Queen" and totally supports my WOE. And never even suggested I give up red meat and butter with my total cholesterol number of 295.