Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 22:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/196/169
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Leafy green vegetables

Yes, we should be eating leafy green vegetables, but besides cabbage (Yuck) and (yuck yuck) spinach what else consistutes this category and is available to us in the UK? Sprouts? (half a yuck but bearable).

Is there anyway to prepare spinach so that it doesn't taste like dirt? loads of you out there do seem to be mad about the stuff - am I missing the point?

Emma (yes i do like veggies really)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 23:28

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

There is a good variety of lettuces that I think qualify. Go for the darker green ones or the ones with some red to them to get the best nutrition. Brussel Sprouts count and so does Kale and Beet Greens and Romaine lettuce. Oh....and let's not forget Watercress.

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 02:12

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%

Broccoli, cauliflower.... rocqette salad (sp?) is my favourite., it has this distinctive peppery taste and brilliant with steaks. Fine beans, mangetouts, courgettes... Basically, all green vegetables are low-carb.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 06:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

celery is good and i often have a few fried mushrooms.

Don't forget you can cover those veggies in cream and cheese...helps with the taste !

#5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 08:50

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Wink Spinach

I put my spinach in an omlette and can't really even taste it after they are cooked together. The fiber that the spinach gave me was worth it to eat it. (ie: It made my body more "regular.")

I hope this helps!

Julie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 14:39

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default spinach

HI,

I throw spinach in with my stir frys or if you are doing some chicken (or whatever meat) in a cream sauce, then again throw some spinach in and it wilts nicely and gives a nice flavour and texture to the dish.

I do agree on it's own it is a bit gritty, (especially if not washed properly , but with other stuff it's great.

I concocted a chicken bake the other week, fried the chick in olive oil, layered it in a dish with lots of creme fraiche, cream, strong flavour cheese and spinach and it was absolutely yummy!

But as already mentioned don't forget the courgettes, aubergines, celery, mushrooms, green peppers, leeks etc

Bye
Banana
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 21:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hi, thanks for all those great tips! i will have to be brave and get some spinach and have a go at a real cream sauce - seems SO alien to me still - the nearest thing i ever have made is a cheese sauce made with corn flour, skimmed milk and low fat cheese!

Ella - do you know the carg grammes for mange tout? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks again!

Emma
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 01:44

Plan: schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 290/290/198 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I like to take some olive oil and warm it in the pan and then add a chopped clove of garlic and as soon as you smell the garlic I add a couple fillets of frozen cod. Then I add a couple of capers and cover the top of the fish with spinach. I then add a little white cooking wine and cover with a lid. I let the spinach wilt down and eat along with about three tablespoons of brown rice. This is a great lunch but I like spinach. I weigh in later today. I am hoping for 2 to 3 pounds. cross your fingers.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 02:51

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool Super Greens

That's what I call the ones on my list, since all are obviously not leafy but count high nutrient-wise.

SUPER GREENS ---

Spinach
Broccoli
Oriental Greens (pak choi, Chinese broccoli, etc.)
Okra [lady fingers]
Dark Salad Greens (any dark green or even red type lettuce, including romaine/cos, lamb's, minzuna, oakleaf, ruffled, watercress, rocket, etc.)
Podded Peas (snap peas, mange tout)
Green Beans
Kale
Cabbage and Cabbage Greens
Beet Greens
Green Beans
Brussel Sprouts
Courgettes

Other veg is great as well on LC, like cauliflower, aubergene, yellow crookneck squash, mushrooms, celery, cucumbers, etc.

Hope this helps!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 13:07

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Okra and Mince Meat

Looking at your list Oddsock reminded me that I tried okra with mince meat the other day and it turned out really good. Just fry an onion, some garlic and spices, add the mince, let it cook in its own sauce and add the okra (cut in about inch long pieces) last as it does not take long to cook.

I used to eat okra with naanbread before - pre LC days but okra/mince was good.

Take care.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 15:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

Being a low carber and supremely lazy & skint, i found my cheapest & quickest solution to this is to cook a few handfuls of frozen mixed veg (from freezer section in asda) and while it is boiling throw in a few handfuls of sliced spring greens (you get these in the fresh section of Asda and Safeway - 2 heads at around 78p, easily 4 portions)

Not only is this really good nutritionally but also any constipation problems i have are gone within 4 hours (like clockwork!).

I find greens nicer than Spinach which can sometimes be a bit bitter. Try boiling some up and once served cover with butter & black pepper yummyyyyy! Remember many of us on Atkins experience stalls because w are eating too little fat, the extra fat from the butter will probably help. Sometimes its hard not to forget that we are not on low fat!

Shredded greens also makes a good alternative if you miss chinese noodles. Just put in the wok like normal.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 16:08
Registered Member

BF:

Wow - thanks for all these great tips! i have just been shopping and have dared to get spinach and also got some greens, i will get DH to have a look at your recipe ideas and he can make me something yummy - once he has done that i will be able to see how he makes things nice! if i just have a go myself it will be a disater - you should have seen my attempt at protein flour "bread" - solid!

I really appreciate your replies - LCing doesn't seem such a loney road anymore!

Emma