Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 11:00

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Okay, how "bad" am I?

I stick to a lowER fat low carb regime as many of you know *have to due to serious health problems/medications (trust me it's the right thing for me).

I eat all lean proteins, all lc vegs and small amounts of very lowcarb fruits (berries). I'm on maintenance - I'm maintaining, doing fine.

Like Zip always says, I do believe now that calories DO matter - and since I eat ALOT of food (because I have a healthy appetite and I do not eat alot of fat), I do try not to consume excess calories if not necessary.

Having dumped the high fat "mode", I have found I can add up to 50 carbs a day, eat more food and NOT gain - and still feel great and slim. Zip, you are right. Don't know what you call my diet, but it works.

SO --- in the process I have added/changed only 2 items...one is Helmans mayo light (not regular)...I know it has some modified food starch and some sugar, but 45 of the 50 calories per tablespoon is fat and it does not make me crave/seem to disrupt my insulin levels...so I figure it's fine. No, I do not use 2x as much because it's half the calories of real mayo - and yes, I could just use 1/2 the amount of real mayo (but I like my tuna much creamier than that)...looking for what here? I don't know, some reassurance that using hellmans light is just fine? Yes. For me, the lower fat is necessary, the lower calorie never hurts ---I'd like to hear the jury on this. Zip you out there still?

Also using about a tablespoon of REAL oatbran, not oatmeal in my protein shake (Nextrition/glycerlean really good whey shake very low carb, lower fat and no hidden sugars)...this has helped me stay regular and yes I DO count my carbs....1/4 cup is about 26 carbs, 4 fiber so a tablespoon is about half that and the effective carbs fall around 9 for a tablespoon.

So, what do you all think? Sound like I'm on track?

To put it simply, I eat all the lc veggies I want, leanER proteins with protein shakes and a little oatbran plus hellmans light.
I don't like cooking and don't want recipes.

All responses appreciated. I know I don't do traditional atkins, please forgive me that and just let me know what you think.

I'm not a lowcarber wannabe - am I?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 11:24

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Hi Nancy

It seems every couple of months you post something similar. Hey whatever works for you go for it, you have been a long term low carber.

I don't think you need confirmation from any of us if you are doing the right thing for your body or not. If you are maintaining your weight, then you are doing the right thing.

Take care

If you are in the states Happy Tday
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 12:06

BF:
Progress:
Default Right, I "check in" with ya.

Right,

I do "check in" with everyone here every once in a long while. I feel I belong, but there is no forum called lowfat/lowcarb atkins so I don't find a regularly welcoming forum for just "us" out here who do this version of the diet for any reason.

I know many true atkinsers can't relate to/don't recommend - lowfat and lowcarbing, and I don't want to get into long or even short explanations (but I have in the past) about my health/medical restrictions-meds (includes restricting fat).

So once in a while I just chime in somwhere here and need a little "way to go" pat on the back so to speak (don't we all?). I find it very helpful and keeps me on track.

Perhaps considering a forum for lowcarb/lowER fat members would be a possibility? Okay, so there might be only 2 of us out there, but hey, so I don't have to feel alone? No, I'm not vegetarian (thought that might be the place for me but no).

Thanks for your response anyway. Anyone else out there eating Hellmans light?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 12:33

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Hi - I low carb / low fat too - it's working for me - I still don't eat anything "lite" though because there are too many carbs - I still keep my carbs fairly low - I follow the curves plan - look here for more information.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=69068

Vikki
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 12:36

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You could jump over to the General forum since what you are doing isn't actually Atkin's at all. It's your own tweak on the diet.

My main concern is the new people accessing the board may get the wrong idea about the diet from your postings in the Atkin's forum. If that makes sense.

I am moving this thread to the General Forum since it belongs there more than it does in Atkin's.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 13:44

BF:
Progress:
Default Wherever you want me is fine.

I plan to try to find Gary Heavin's book...any suggestions???
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 10:41

I'm pretty sure you can only get it through "Curves" - I got mine after I joined and referred 3 friends.

Vikki
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 10:47

Hi - I was wrong - you can purchase it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...8581774-3111950

Vikki
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 10:59

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Smile Works for me

I do low fat/ low carb too. Mostly chicken & turkey. It seems to be working for me, I can't eat the greasy stuff much.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 13:09

BF:
Progress:

Well, I wrote Hellmans on their own website and got this answer. Looks like no matter what version of their mayo you use, not significant amounts of sugar in any. Good news...here is their response:

Thanks for writing!

We do not manufacture a mayonnaise without sugar, at this time,
however, the
amount of sugar is nutritionally insignificant - each serving of
Best Foods/
Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise contains less than 1 calorie from
sugar and
therefore is suitable for people who must control sugar intake.
Please check
with your physician, if our products can be used by you.

Point of information: 1 tsp. of sugar weighs about 4 grams

According to FDA labeling regulations, amounts for sugars of
less than 0.5
grams per serving may be rounded to zero and do not have to be
declared if no
claims related to sugars are made. However, you will note that
there is 1 gram
of Carbohydrates in the Light Mayonnaise, while the gram count
for Dietary
Fiber and Sugars are 0. This is because combines, the Dietary
Fiber and Sugars
total more that .5 grams, and as such is rounded up to 1.

We are sorry that we do not have more specific information.

We hope this information is helpful!
Your friends at Hellmann's
---------------------
Probably many more of us out there (lowcarb/lowfat) for whatever reason...and whatever reason is just fine.

Perhaps a forum for just us?

N

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Mon, Dec-02-02 at 13:11.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 18:49

Plan: MEAT AND LOTS OF GREEN VE
Stats: 292.7/280/180 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default HELLO

I recognize you from LOWCARBEATING...I was amazed then with GRACE and how she ate. It worked for her, and if it's working for you DO IT..
If you can get DUKES MAYO at your local grocery, it has NO SUGAR at all...they also have a lower fat version and I'm not sure about the sugar in it.
Good luck

GAP