Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 10:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default I Like The Low Carb Food Available Now

i know it's a little overboard, but i like having the low carb items available, i look forward to having everything low carb, like we have low fat now. when more manufactures jump on the band wagon, maybe it will bring the prices down. i do miss having cereal, and when special k came out with a low carb cereal, i thought this is great. i like atkins cereal, but not at $5 a box. i also like shopping in a grocery store, and pick up everything i need, and not have to make a special stop to pick up some low carb items. i don't see anything wrong with indulging on a low carb chocolate bar, or a bowl of ice cream on the weekends. i agree that we shouldn't eat these items everyday, thrust me i learned the hard way, i had a hard time losing after induction, when i discoverd low carb chocolate. i say bring on the low carb wine, krispy cream doughnuts, cookies, dorritos, ketchup, bread, pasta...or whatever.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 10:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

It's nice to have lower carb options available. The only problem is that some people think they can eat a lot of those processed foods and still get the same results. But for those of us who can stick to eating just a small amount of them for a treat on occasion it's certainly much better than eating a small amount of the normal version (well, when the low carb version tastes as good).
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 10:12

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Low carb products are great in moderation, but having too many of the processed foods can cause a lot of people to stall & halt weight loss. Sticking to whole healthy foods is best, incorporating low-carb products a little at a time is going to benefit weight loss.

What I disagree with is all the low-fat junk food out there is being replaced by low-carb junk food. Most who have food addictions can't stop eating junk, and having the huge quantities of the food that made one heavy to begin with won't cause weight loss, just because it's now being made in a low-carb version.

Moderation is the key to everything. Eating whole, healthy foods is best, exercise daily is crucial for permanent weight loss.

LL
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 15:23

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

It's so wonderful to have more choices. And the low carb icecream is devine. I just have to be careful not to go too overboard, but darn is it nice to eat the same things others eat without worrying about spiking my blood sugar. I have hypoglycemia and have to be careful.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 16:43

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I love some of the LC products! And some of them are suitable for eating almost daily, which is really nice. My one gripe is that there are a lot of food manufacturers out there that're taking otherwise LC things and modifying them with unhealthy additives to take out one measley carb, then labeling them low-carb and upping the price because of the label. (Skippy's LC peanut butter is a great example of this.)

Otherwise I've been enjoying very much having a little LC ice cream occasionally, and some LC bread. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and skillet toast.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 17:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

My only real rant about these new products is that uninformed consumers may not know what they are in for.

I've been studying labels and picked up an item or two for flavouring, but on the whole I don't exactly trust some of them - still so much processing! I do love my DaVinci syrups, can't wait to have my LaTortillas again (the freezer is full but I'm holding off), and can definitely chomp down on a z-carb bar if I can't stand it.

On the whole, though, I'll still be trying to make as much home-made as I can, and will wait until I see a lot of loss to be incorporating too much of this stuff in my diet.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 18:25

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

yeah, I took one look at the suposidly low carb peanutbutter and thought why bother, it's only minus one whole carb when I just get good ole regular peanutbutter and have the same amount.

Last edited by LisaAC : Wed, May-26-04 at 06:43.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 20:18

Plan: Alcoholic on Atkins
Stats: 155/145/120 Female 64 inches
BF:have/no/clue
Progress: 29%

Yeah, I made the mistake of not checking the CarbOptions (Skippy) pb until I got home and compared it to my housemates. Thankfully for me, I had a coupon, so I didn't lose any money on the purchase really, but what the hell was the point? 2 carbs? Well...at least I can have a Atkins muffin with the creamy spread on it for the same amount of the regular stuff. That makes me happy. lol :O)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I like having this stuff too, but I hate going to the store now because everything has these stupid "on the plan" and "low carb" stickers and tags on them. peanut butter has always been low carb, the new LC stuff is such a riot, and it STILL has trans fats. I buy Wal Mart brand peanut butter trans fats and all-it has 3g net carbs just like the Skippy stuff. I walked down the cookie aisle and say the new CarbWells by Snackwells. What a laugh....yeah, I can't wait to spend half my carb intake on three damn cookies. I basically stick to a few LC products (O-Solo rollz, ice cream, cereal, and occasionally meal bars) and then eat whole foods the rest of the time.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 20:37

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I only do the atkins pancakes. I could not handle another morning of scrambled eggs. I am glad that option is there.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 21:04

Stats: 350/322/170 Male 5ft 10 inches
BF:50.2/46.8/25
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjen72
I only do the atkins pancakes. I could not handle another morning of scrambled eggs. I am glad that option is there.

Is there anything you do with them? I tried these pancakes (3 carb variety) and they were awful. I would like to try the higher carb version, but I am staying on induction indefinitley.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 21:38

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I feel the "low carb" options are a nice alternative sometimes...but I just have to remember MODERATION is the key here or I will end up back where I started! This is a WOE for life and I have to have some options available when I can't have my normal veggies and protein - I just wish all the manufactures would understand what actually constitutes as a low carb product!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 21:53

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 250/199/110 Female 5'1"
BF:don't know
Progress: 36%

I experimented w/ these products

Keebler low carb cookies. (got HUGE cravings from them and will
NEVER eat them again).
SF Jello 0 - great, and no cravings
Atkins Advantage meal replacement bar cookies and cream -
was yummy, worked for the busy time I was having, won't do
it often, good for the occasion I'm in a horrible time crunch.
Dannon LC yougurt - wonderful, no cravings
LC tortilla's - I used once, felt like I was cheating, will use spareingly.. maybe once per week max. No cravings.
I think I'm going to use the Advantage bar only when necessary (hopefully no more than once a month). ... I'll use the jelly and yogurt when I want to eat dessert, so maybe twice a week, one serving of which ever I have available.

It is nice to have options... It's nicer that I've had the help of reading Dr. A's books and this forum to help me to remember moderation!

Carina
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 23:31

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

We do the Adams peanut butter. My little guy eats a lot of peanut butter, so why not start him out with the good stuff? He doesn't care that it has no sugar! LOL He gets enough sugar as it is.

After reading some of the reviews on Atkins products and seeing the prices I'm really leary of trying them. We came up with our own LC crepe (about 5 net carbs per) and have that once in a while. I can't do eggs every day for breakfast, either, so have a lot of non-traditional foods like salads or leftovers. It works out great in the long run.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 06:36

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I think these products are terrific!!! I'm doing it clean for now, but when I hit maintenance, I will most certainly add many of these items in gradually as long as they don't cause me to gain.

As far as being upset because other people think they will loose weight by binging on low carb stuff...well...this is with anything. Honestly, even if each product came with DANDR, people would still do their own thing. The education is out there, both in books and on the internet. If it isn't important enough to someone for them to do the research, then I don't have it in me to feel too sorry for them. Its just not that hard to get the information, yanno?

L (not so sympathetic today)