Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 165/154.5/130
BF:
Progress: 30%
Cool Newbie battling addiction

Hi everyone! I've kinda tried this low carb thing before but not really. This time my bf who eats really well is going to help me. He's been making dinner for me and stuff like that. I also quit smoking which for me helped. I'm trying to get healthier. I'm seriously addicted to pasta, potatos and expecially bagels!!! So even though I might not count carbs or anything I am taking it seriously. I just choose more often to eat veggies or chicken over a bowl of pasta.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 10:10
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You choose veggies/chicken 'more often'? Not to be mean but this doesn't sound like Atkins to me. I suggest you read the book or click on one of the links to the right "Which LC Plan is Right for Me?" to see if there is a lc way of eating that fits your lifestyle.

Good luck and welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 10:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 160/131.8/116 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Talking hey there!

It's great that your boyfriend is supporting you! makes a lot of difference. But, like the person before me wrote, not counting carbs but chosing those foods could get you in so much trouble. i did that at first, and it set me back a ton. i was "dieting" without losing, because you need to have a certain amount of carbs or less to lose. it's great that your cutting out those products, but it might not be enough to lose weight, which will discourage you. do, please read the book, or at least the first couple of chapters. it changed my life. At least 9 lbs in 1 week, rather than not losing a single pound...not counting but watching what i eat. i hope you give this a try, it might save you the time and the frustration. You'll be losing in no time
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 10:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

Why don't you take the test over at the CAD/CALP thread and see if you're a Heller's carbohydrate addict (CA). If you are, you need to do more than make healthier choices to successfully lose weight.

Good Luck!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 10:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the advice you guys. I have done a low-carb diet before and honestly I don’t remember which one it was. I think it was The Carbohydrate Addict one. Whichever one I did it was a disaster. I have the most trouble giving up bagels more than anything. I couldn’t stand never ever having one again. I ended up worse off than I began. The last week I’ve cut out most of the bad carbs like pasta, bagels, etc. I’ve been eating either beef, fish, chicken with tons of veggies on the side. I’ve already lost about 3 lbs or so. Maybe I am going about it wrong but that’s pretty much why I came here in the first place. I am not usually good with structure but just eating better works well with me. I do however want to cook with much less carbs and am looking for any useful tips. I was reading up on some of the plans and it seems that the carbohydrate addict one may be better. I guess I’ll have to research some more.

Thanx.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 03:02

Plan: aTKINS
Stats: 230/220/145
BF:
Progress: 12%
Smile Newbie

Hi 2 all June 28 2003 is my start day for the Atkins lifestyle of eating. I really should say my NEW start day I have been trying for about 2 weeks 2 get going but have had wicked craving for sugar and have given in. So TODAY i found you guys and Pray that this support is that extra tool that I need to succeed. I have a medical problem that means I take pain medication daily and I want to know if any one else has any experience with it slowing down their weight loss or any insight on this would be appreciated. I am a 41 year old diabled nurse with 5 kids and 2 grandkids and 1 on the way and 4 cats, 2 inside, 2 out. I am a member of the local Baptist Church and I have a weight problem and health problems related 2 that and need to loose 70 + pounds. Hope this tells a little about me. I look forward to getting to know some of you and reaching my goal weight with your help and support. Sincerly, Janie
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 07:41
Registered Member

BF:

I'm still very new to CAD so I won't be much of help to anyone with questions. I picked up the CAD book yesterday from the library and am going to read it cover to cover today. This is my plan to do this diet. Wish me luck