Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: LC after breakfast
Stats: 150/146/135 Female 5'5"
BF:yes I have it.
Progress: 27%
Question I know what I can't do

Hi , I'm Nancy, and I get so stuck in the crackers, cookies. chips, pretzel merry-go-round that it makes me crazy! I only need to lose about 10-15 lbs but all that weight is around my middle, and I think that means I'm getting too many carbs. I have had this weight gain since I had 3 foot surgeries which really limit my ability to exercise. Problem is I can't do Atkin's cause I really don't like meat all that much. Even the concept of Somersizing, (food combining) after a protein meal, I have such a bad taste in my mouth!!! Does this happen to anyone else? I think I have to modify my eating to include the carbs, I'm trying to still have a roll and butter for breakfast then nothing but protein, fats and veges the rest of the day, If anyone is like me please let me know what works for you. I am at ********

Last edited by Rosebud : Sat, Aug-30-03 at 07:51. Reason: Removal of email address. (Against forum rules to post email addresses)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 07:56
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nancy, welcome!

I know you only have a small amount to lose, but for low carb weight loss to be successful, ie permanent, it really needs to become a permanent way of eating.

And the most successful "losers" are those who follow a specific plan - especially for the first few months. How about having a look at "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen.

We have some very successful vegetarian members here. How about having a look at our vegetarian forum (click here for a link) for some food ideas?

All the best to you!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 08:13
Registered Member

Thanks, Rosebud, I'll check it out, I read the low carb diets last night and found several that allowed 30-70 carbs/day and I'm thinking that sounds better for me. I must say that I am so less gassy this week. I also know that in order to stick to this it has to be appropiate for me, So I had melon and 1/2 whole wheat bagel w/ little butter for breakfast and now for lunch, probably a salad w/ chicken and then grilled veges and shrimp or a burger, no bun for dinner ! This seems like something I can do long term. Early in the day I want nothing-no cravings. It's at 4pm that they start,,,,so if I am carb-free in the pm, maybe the carvings won't come at all. But I would just gag on eggs and bacon in the morning. PS I'm on Atenolol for a rapid pulse and BP which as you may know is going to make it harder to lose weight. Thanks for writing ! Regards, Nancy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 08:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nancy Just wanted to let you know to keep an eye on the BP, lowering carbs tends to have a positive effect on blood pressure and you might find it getting a little too low.

It sounds to me like you would enjoy the Schwarzbeine Principle - it's higher carb with a focus on good healing fats. I'd recommend it as a good read.

You might also want to do a little searching online about the glycemic index, a measure of how certain carbs effect blood sugar. Just as fat isn't inherently bad for you, neither are carbs - it's all about choices. Choosing things like steel cut oats (the ones you cook for 30 minutes), sweet potatoes, 100% whole grains, brown rice over their processed counterparts can make a big difference in stabilizing blood sugar.

Just a little food for thought
-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 08:32
Registered Member

thanks, Nat I just found this website last night. I will search out all the alternatives... Somercizing fans are all concerned with what is legal and what is funky and therefore not allowed, like soy, olives or avacados or peanuts or any combination of carb and protein/fat in one food---I found that too strict for me , yet I like the principles of food combining, I just can't be that right-wing. =)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 13:58

Plan: Atkins:Very Low Carb(VLC)
Stats: 265/251/165 Male 5'-8"
BF:41/38/15
Progress: 14%
Talking Hi Nancy!

The biggest help that the low carb Way Of Life gave me is that appropriate carbs are not crackers, pretzles, chips, donuts, white rice, ect..... lol
Just getting that through my head was a big hurdle.

Now I make much heathier choices, and if I occasionally... I go over board then it slows my losing, but over all, I keep to the lower glycemic foods, and that's enough for lose steadily for most people!

Good luck!