Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 13:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/185/165
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Ketostix

Is there anyone out there who knows of an instance where Ketostix indicated a state of ketosis when that was not in fact the case??

I've heard of cases where (due to old stix, high consumption of water, etc) the stix have indicated no ketosis when in fact it exists, but haven't heard of the stix "overpromising"

Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 13:22
Registered Member

Stats: 181/148/134 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Cool

I have registered negative on the sticks when I know that my body is producing ketones.eg...my mouth feels like I have cotton balls in it. Also a metalic taste. I understand that your body can release ketones in different ways not always in your urine.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 13:48

BF:

thanx milmndude

I'm looking for anyone who has found an instance where they knew they were not in ketosis and the stix indicated that they were

Can U help???

#4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 13:54
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Is there anyone out there who knows of an instance where Ketostix indicated a state of ketosis when that was not in fact the case??

Oh yes. The stix can show positive when you are not actually in ketosis but are dehydrated, starving, have drunk some alcohol or have just eaten a very fatty meal. They can also give you a false positive if they have not been stored correctly. If they become damp, they'll tell you water has ketones!

And if you are drinking lots and lots of water, the ketostix may well be negative when you are, in fact, in ketosis.

In fact, the more I hear about ketostix, the more I think they are a waste of time and money.

Losing weight/fat is more important than changing the colour of a strip of plastic.

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 16:05
Registered Member

Stats: 181/148/134 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Smile

I agree about becoming less focused on the sticks as well. When I first started I can honestly say I was obsessed.....after reading a few posts on this forum I have come to realize that as long as I'm following the diet I will be producing ketones and therefore burning fat. :
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 00:44

BF:

Thank you good folk

I'll try to reduce my obsession with the stix, and concentrate more on what's going in my mouth!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 20:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/165/165 Female 170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi,

Like some of you I also was a bit obsessed with the sticks at the beginning. Now I only use them about once a week and only usually because they catch my eye on the bench!

They do go out of date and are sensitive to light so that may affect their accuracy.

happy lowcarbing to you all

Rose