Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 10:27

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/175/135
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default PCOS and low-carbing

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and low-carbing (on my 3rd week).

I can't say that I've had a weight problem all of my life. Basically just since I graduated high school. I was always thin in school, weighing around 120-130 pounds. My weight started to climb and my periods became non-existent. I was diagnosed with PCOS 7 years ago and am currently taking birth control and Glucophage. I've been weighing in at around 191 and my Dr. (a wonderful man) has always been wanting me to start low-carbing. I was always skeptical to this WOE. Finally, I took his advice and started on Oct. 12, figuring that I should at least give it a try. I originally lost 13 pounds in a matter of 2 weeks, then added 2 pounds, and now I'm on my way back down again, but VERY slowly. The diet that I'm on is the Carbohydrate Addicts' Diet (CAD). I'm wondering if the "Reward Meal" is a little too much for me to continue to lose weight. Is anyone else on this diet? Should I modify it a little, being that I have PCOS?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 14:08

Plan: 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat
Stats: 205/169/127
BF:40.1%
Progress: 46%
Smile

I'm brand new to this forum, I haven't really read all the way through any books specificly for low carb, although I have done a fair amount of research on my own. I've tried very low carb before and failed because I set myself up to fail with too low calorie, too low carb and too much fat. I'm just doing 40%carb, 40%protein and 20% fat with a total calorie intake between 1000-1200 calories per day. I have lost 23 lbs since 9/28/02, and I feel great. I also have PCOS - which I am just now learning had a lot more involvement in my diet and metabolism than I thought. As far as your question about the reward meal... I have noticed that whenever I give myself a little break (about once every two weeks) - if I go too far - esp. the carbs, I've ruined the day. My appetite is out of control and I feel rotten. I think I'm doing better now with this combination because I don't feel deprived. If I want something special - within reason, I just plan that into my day, and make sure it fits in the diet.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 14:23

BF:

Hi offdoodykc!

Thanks for your reply! It's so nice to know that there are others out there who feel just like I do sometimes. It is truly amazing how PCOS can affect your body!

I agree about not overdoing it and feel much better if I just stick to a small amount of carbs during the RM, but sometimes can't help myself. If I see anything in my house that is sweet I think to myself "hmmm....that would be GREAT to have during my Reward Meal!". Isn't that terrible?

I hope that everything continues to go so well for you....you're doing great!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 14:41

Plan: 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat
Stats: 205/169/127
BF:40.1%
Progress: 46%

I know what you mean - especially with the hollidays, and I love to bake. On holloween I had 5 (fun size) 3 Muskateers. Ugh. I work in a doctor's office, and we have food brought in from pharmacutical reps all the time. It like a parade of temptation. My best weapon is visualizing not only what I will look like if I indulge, but also about how tempting food was prepared. For example, some weasel (with no regard for my waistline) brought in pizza today. And it was the good stuff, too...anyway - I just imagined that the chef who prepared the pizza was a grungy 17 year old male with poor hygiene, terrible cold, and a nervous habit of picking his scalp while separating the pepparoni. Suddenly, my protein shake and carrot sticks don't look so bad...

Best of luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 14:49

BF:

LOL!

Now that is a great way to keep anyone from wanting that pizza!!! I'll have to keep that in mind!

Best of luck to you too, and welcome!