Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of all
Stats: 185/174/130
BF:
Progress:

I haven't finished reading Dr. Atkins book yet, so I hope this isn't a dumb question that is found in the book somewhere. My question is... has anyone used Carbo Guard or a similar product to help control the carb cravings. Would this harm my success? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 21:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Steff,

I'd recommend starting without them until you get used to the diet and know how your body reacts.

Here's an excellent post by Doreen on the topic of carb-blockers:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ghlight=blocker
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 22:15

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Steff
Just thought I would add my 2 cents for a change.. who knows maybe I can help. I have been using Carb-Away, occasionaly http://www.abundnce.com/carb_away.htm I find it has helped in maintaining my ketosis over the ocasional slip.. I don't use it to cheat, its more of just in case.. I haven't had any reaction to them, but I have only tried 1 tablet at a time, which is good for up to 40 carbs. Here is another site from Netrition... with more information and hope I was able to help... http://www.netrition.com/cgi/goto.c...block_page.html
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 22:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Smile

hi Steff,

I think the Carbo Guard is the herbalife product? With fiber and chromium-vanadium? They "might" be helpful, certainly no harm...

Chromium is important for the body's utilisation of insulin, and may help prevent swings in blood sugar. This is the idea behind controlling sugar cravings. The recommended daily dose is 200 mcg (0.2 mg). Vanadium doesn't have a lot of literature to support it's use -- yet.

The fiber may be helpful with blood sugar swings too. My only concern is that fiber generally inhibits the absorption of nutrients taken with it. That's why you should never take your psyllium or metamucil (if you use that) at the same time as your other supplements.

Chromium taken with l-glutamine seems to have a better track record for controlling cravings. You might look into that. I believe the dose for l-glutamine is 1 or 2 grams a day, in divided doses.

Carbs blocker products "may" be effective for blocking the absorption of some starch, but phaseolin is ineffective against sugar. Quackwatcher.com and the FDA have nothing positive to report on these products' claims. Carbs Away suggests eating a low CALORIE, lowish carb menu, around 1,000 cal per day and 100 gm carbs, similar to the Zone, likely the spectacular weight loss claims are a result of the low calorie intake.

Wa'il is right. For Induction and early weeks of OWL, it is best to let the diet itself get your body in the right metabolic state. The addition of some chromium probably would be a good thing. I have found personally that avoiding all sweets, including artificial sweeteners, will eventually curb the sweet cravings. Also, make sure to eat protein with every meal and snack.

Check out this article on Coping with Cravings. http://www.lowcarber.org/tips/tips007.html

hope this is helpful,

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-01, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of all
Stats: 185/174/130
BF:
Progress:

I just want to say THANK YOU sooo much for all the replys. The information was a lot of help. I also want to say that I am enjoying this forum. I've joined other "diet" forums before and never received any encouragement OR replys to questions I had. You people are keepers for sure.