Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 15:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Vitamins

I also just take off the shelf vitamins...I've used Centrum (and make sure I buy the one with the most Vitamin C and E). Right now I'm using the Tim Release Ultra Mega Women's Vitamins from GNC. They are a pretty good deal as well. In addition to that I take and extra 400 IU...of Vitamin E. I've always taken extra Vitamin E for my own personal reasons.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 20:41

Plan:
Stats: 67//61
BF:
Progress:
Question New requiring Low Carb Diet Info

Hi there,
I'm in Australia just for your interest.
I'm wanting to embark on a low-carb diet, but of course I don't really want to pay anything, can anyone there give me any helpful tips/advice on what, why and what quantities???
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,
Lisa.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 20:42

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Low carb snacks

Unfortunately, I DON'T buy my low-carb snacks - well, I do, but not as ready-made 'snack' items. My LC snacks consist of cooked meats, nuts (Brazils are good - low carb count and way cheaper than macadamias), cheese, pumpkin seeds, and beef jerky, which I make myself in my new handy dandy dehydrator. I try to stay away from store-bought LC bars because they're so expensive, and besides, they seem to cause stalls in some people. There are also some pretty yummy recipies for LC breads, desserts, and snacks in the recipie section of this forum. I try not to OD on these, however, since some can be a bit carby if eaten in quantity.

Rachel
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 20:49

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thanks Rachel,
Much appreciated

Wendy

#20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 20:49

BF:
Default Hi, Lisa!

Hi, Lisa, welcome to the board.

You don't have to pay anything to start low-carbing. But before you start I'd suggest reading one or more of the many books - Atkins, Protein Power, the Zone, etc. Most of us here on this board are on Atkins. You don't have to buy the books, just get them out of the library and read them.

There is a 'tips' section on this forum - read that too. Lots of info for newbies.

As far as the food goes, the plans vary a bit, but all strictly control carbohydrates. You'll be eating meats, poultry, fish, some dairy, lots of fresh salads and veg, nuts, seeds, some fruits, and other yummy fresh and healthy food. You'll cut out (or strictly reduce) breads, pastas, potatoes, rice, sugar, and other sweet and starchy foods. (Having said that, there are lots of good LC substitutions for those foods - check out our recipie section).

Let us know how you're doing - we're a friendly (and nosy) lot here!

Rachel
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 20:51

BF:

Hi Lisa,

Welcome I haven't bought anything expensive yet and don't plan to. Have you got the Dr. Atkins diet book yet? That explains alot. I'm still reading and learning as I go along. Only been doing this for a week now.

Wendy
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 21:01

Stats: 169/147/107
BF:
Progress:
Default Vitamins

What a long thread! I am a little lost, lots of info in here! But I am also taking the GNC timed release Ultra Mega Women's Vitamins. I went to GNC to purchase the Dr. Atkin's brand, but had these recommended instead, and I was able to see that they pretty much cover all the bases of the other brand at a much lower cost. I also looked for an equivalent for the Dr. Atkin's EFAs, but the generic brand did not have the same ingredients, etc., so I did buy the Dr. A. brand of those. I must say that I feel great with both of these, except for the annoying 'after-burps' of the EFAs. Haven't figured a solution out for that one out, yet, LOL.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 21:09

BF:

Oh my, yuck on the burps, can't help you there sorry

Hopefully someone else can

Wendy

#24   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 23:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Wink yet another 0.25 worth...

Hey, Liz & Wendy... welcome aboard. I've just popped in briefly (busy busy busy, can only manage a few visits a week these days tho I wish I could lurk about and keep up with conversations) to catch up on what's new.

You've all been chatting about a subject dear to my heart and experience so here's my contribution to the thread:

Nu-Life's "The Ultimate One" for Women Active (a great and comprehensive multiple and huge!)
Jamieson's StressEase (an excellent B-Complex and Minerals)
are my basics of choice and I highly recommend them for bang-for-the-buck (Walmart and Zellers both have darn good prices, as does Superstore/Loblaws).

I also highly recommend a good calcium:magnesium supplement, with a 1:1 ratio (that's the same number of milligrams of each) or at least a 2:1 ratio (twice the calcium as magnesium) but no less. As for potassium, I keep some Nu-Salt about but don't use it much; I get my extra potassium from dark leafy greens (I *adore* buttered spinach, beet greens, endive, chard, etc.) and tuna (1 can about 400mg!) and eggs and yogurt, etc. Works for me.

If fatigue sets in (an afternoon experience usually), it's been in my experience of over 2 years now usually a need for a good slug of filtered water or (believe it or not) a shortage of salt. Keep in mind that just as calcium and magnesium work together in the system (2 of the 4 electrolytes) so do sodium and potassium (the OTHER 2 electrolytes). Electrolytes are CRITICAL for blood pressure, kidney function, muscle and nerve function.

LowCarb Snacks in the wee of the night? Don't buy 'em, make 'em. Best midnight snacks are a hardboiled egg (I treat myself to veggie-fed freerange, yummy!) with a dab of mayonnaise, an ounce or 2 of a good cheese (white cheddar, yummy!), a bit of home-made tuna salad (tuna, mayo, celery, freshground pepper, green onion... simple and delicious and easy to keep handy in the fridge), an ounce or 2 of some garlic roast beef, whatever...

Hope this helps?
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-01, 06:08

BF:

Hi Judi,

Sure does, thanks

I wish I loved green leaves etc for potasiuum, but don't so I did pick up suppliments on that, but happy on the ideas on midnight snacks (actually its usually way past midnight..lol).

Our Zehrs store does not carry the protein shakes so I have asked to leave a note to the person who orders for their health part dept. to please order these. Keeping my fingers crossed for this one!

Wendy

Ps. I'm afriad I run my own business, so I do have the time to sit in front of this computer and keep bugging you folks You keep posting Judi when ever you can! Sure appreciate all the input and meeting you all

Wendy
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-01, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 286/285/145 Female 5-7
BF:
Progress: 1%
Talking

Way to go!!!, imagine how much you will lose the folling weeks.Keep up the low-carbing.
Marsha
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-01, 14:04

BF:

Thanks Marsha.....you too

Wendy
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-01, 20:25

Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Nu-life salt? Howzit taste?

Thanks Islandgirl for info on supplements. What with all the 1:1 ratios etc. I feel like I'm gardening. Dolomite lime, I wonder what that does for human beings? :-) Now I'm on spring break, I can have a thorough rummage through local stores for all the things that have been suggested.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 07:15

BF:

Hi all,

Just a little update. Wasn't sure if I was going to lose anything last week, what with being a woman (you ladies know what I mean). Sure enough I finally got on the scales this morning and have fallen another 2 lbs. Sure was hoping for more, yet at the same time thrilled I didn't go up.

Well with all my worries about veggies I was out during the weekend and bought "The carbohydrate Addict's Cookbook".

While glancing at the pages of recipes at the book store, I was relieved to note that many recipes were simple and not so full of fancy things ie; brandy, wine, seasonings I have no clue about LOL. So Wendy brought her new book home!

I also couldn't help but notice the "Protein Power" by the Eades on sale and grabbed that one too

I'm really thrilled on the "Dr. Atkins' New Caarbohydrate Gram Counter", and yes that one came home also

Now I am truly broke...LOL but thrilled to have all this new reading material to guide me along to become successful in my new eating habits!

Wendy

Ps. I noticed my Mom (Lizzy38) hasn't posted anything over the weekend, so I will let you all know. Although she is still reading like myself, she has been following Dr. Atkins since last week and she has let me know she has lost 5 1/2 lbs. WTG Mom!!!!

Last edited by numberonewendy : Mon, Mar-19-01 at 07:22.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 09:35

BF:
Thumbs up

Way to go, Wendy and Wendy's mom!

Rachel