Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 17:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/133/100 Female 5feet4inches
BF:
Progress: 51%
Unhappy zero carbs, net carbs, total carbs help!!!! (atkins bars experiences please)

Hi! this is the first forum iv ever joined and first thread ever posted so hi everyone!!
Im a yo-yo atkins inductioner in the UK. successfully lost 3stone few years back (totally on induction) but use atknis infrequently to loose weight. I have started induction (AGAIN!!!) nearly 2 weeks ago and feel like iv lost (i dont weigh myself as i feel it breeds obsession, i measure instead and go off clothes sizes) but i am soooooooooooooo bored and also...after research...feel very confused. Previously on atkins i have always counted total carbs in foods and never even thought in terms of "net carbs" and so i am left wondering what to do????
when you live in the UK most the results you get on google are American and often not relevant to life in the UK..eg shopping results products etc etc but one thing i have encountered which i am very interested in are the atkins bars (i have a sweet tooth and chocolate is my biggest weakness) as i feel these would help me to stick to the diet. Upon investigation i have found there is a big conflict in info over these bars....everyone in the US seems to talk in terms of "net carbs" and these bars contain very few of these and say they are ok for induction. However, they contain tonnes of total carbs and some info (found through google etc) says that people have gained weight through eating them and/or experienced weight stabilisation.
simply put can i eat them or not? i dont understand why on the atkins site it would say suitable for all 4 phases if they interfere with weightloss???
does anyone have experience either way with the bars?
does anyone else work off total carbs instead of net carbs?
i would appreciate any first hand experiences and/ or helpful advice.
Thankyou xxx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 19:03
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

First, it's important to understand that the labeling laws are different in the U.S. from those in the U.K. Our Net Carbs are your Total Carbs. In the U.K. fiber is already deducted from the carbohydrate content of a food, whereas that is not the case in the U.S. When you see Total Carbs on the label of a U.S. food, it still includes the carbohydrates from any fiber. The fiber is listed separately, so to determine the number of carbohydrates that will have an effect on their diets, people in the U.S. simply subtract the fiber from the Total Carbs, and we call that number the Net Carbs.

In the U.K., the number shown on a food package for Total Carbs already has had the fiber ... which is also shown separately ... deducted. You would have to add those 2 numbers together to get what we in the U.S. call Total Carbs.

Have I thoroughly confused you now?

As for the Atkins products, they almost always contain ingredients that are not shown on the lists of Induction foods found in the books that Dr. Atkins wrote, so many of us feel they should not be used during those first 2 weeks. You can read the ingredients list on any Atkins product to see what I mean. In addition, the products are well known for causing weight loss to slow, or even stop altogether, for many people. Some can eat them without a problem, but I think the products are problematic for the majority. I've never used them, myself, so this is just based on what I've read on this and other low-carb forums.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 03:08

Stats: 172/148/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi, Cara!

For me, the Atkins bars have been essential to keeping me on the diet. They probably don't work for Induction, but they should work for other phases. I'm always a little confused because the "net carbs" shows on the front of the package and the net carbs you see on the Nutritional Information, when you subtract fiber from carbs, aren't the same! So I don't know where they get the information on the front of the wrapper!

That said, the Atkins bars still have way fewer carbs than anything with sugar in them. I buy them in bulk from a website called All-Star Health (http://www.allstarhealth.com/). I only allow myself one bar a day, but they have successfully kept that sweet tooth at bay. And the Endulge Bars taste just like real candy bars! It's scary!

I'm sure they not "good" for you, but they've been better for me that breaking my low-carb commitment.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 08:56

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

You might be interested in reading this:
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 06:51

Stats: 172/148/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Great article, Kim

I just read the article recommended by Kim, and am sobered. I'm one of those people who does experience some intestinal distress after eating an Atkins bar, so my body must not be processing it, which is why I can eat them and not gain weight.

But the other information about sugar alcohols does give me pause, and makes me want to consider "home-made" treats instead of Atkins bars. I do need some treat pretty much daily, if only for that 3:00 pm lull at work when the cookies or cake or donuts in the office break room start looking pretty good. I need a satisfying alternative.

Guess I'll start looking for some! Suggestions?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 09:43

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Check out the "sweet treats" in the Recipes forum here on this site. Tons of ideas!

Another thing ... after low-carbing for a while, those cookies, cakes, and donuts start seeming a lot less attractive. You might find a chunk of cheese or pepperoni a tasty alternative.

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi MoonJoy - I am trying this time around to not drink the drinks/snacks etc. I find that I use to many of my carbs on those instead of using them on veggies, which in MHO is what Dr. Atkins had in mind. I did buy some stevia and use that to make the one minute muffin which I load full of cinnamin, ginger and other spices but its a far cry from the real thing to be honest. Others mentioned the real chocolate like 85 % cocoa. I guess a couple squares of that is within reason and will cure the chocolate craving. I haven't tried that yet.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 18:34

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

I've only been on Atkins for a few months and seem to be losing at a reasonable rate. I eat an atkins bar approx 2x/week. Could I be losing faster if I gave them up? Possibly. But Like that harvard study that came out a month or so ago, the best diet is the one you can stick to. So if you eat them and you lose and they keep you from cheating and help you stay on track I say go for it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

Absinthian - I agree with you 100%; you bring up a wonderful point. If this WOL is not comfortable or something that I can enjoy...my victory will be short lived at best. For me, it must be something that I can not only do but ENJOY.