Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 18:39
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Already following PP?

I have seen a lot of people on PP here and just never took the time to look into it.

I have been on Atkins for almost a year now and I have been modifying it to work for me, now I am seeing that my modifications are exactly the PP plan!

I have been upping my veggies, lowering my cals, upping my carbs 30-40/day and weightlifting! I have always tried to eat 1g protein/lb a day also..

That's amazing! I am going out to buy the book today, I am pretty excited about this plan, it seems to be what I was looking for!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 20:22

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

yup, i switched from atkins also because of the same reasons. added fruit and less fat/calories. i like it better.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 01:06
Have A LC Margarita!

BF:

Well I read most of the book and noticed it really doesnt mention calories, am I missing the point somewhere??
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 07:12

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

No, you're not missing the point. Calories don't mean much. They do count, but not like they would on a low-fat plan.

Did you buy the original Protein Power book or the newer Protein Power Lifeplan book? They also have a couple others out that I haven't read yet.

Aren't the books great! They really explain WHY you should eat certain things and not other things. It really clarified things for me.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 09:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Urbanzero,

Welcome! Your calories are automatically going to be lower if you are upping your carbs and dropping your fats. And, just for doing so, doesn't mean that you've abandoned Atkins. You are just moving on up the carb ladder. So many people seem to get in the Induction rut, but often it doesn't work for them, and they are miserable doing it. What you say that really does make me think of Protein Power is your focus on keeping your protein intake up. That is often lost in Atkins, and many people even restrict it. Since you are weightlifting, it's important to make sure you are getting enough. Also, if you are anything like me, you will physically FEEL better while eating more protein and less fat, and not vice versa. I could eat cream, macadamias, and cheese until the cows came home and never feel full. It's not the same way when I eat a chicken breast. Please feel free to join us in the Java room!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 09:53

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyOH
I could eat cream, macadamias, and cheese until the cows came home and never feel full. It's not the same way when I eat a chicken breast.

And just to show that everyone is different, I can eat a chicken breast and be hungry a half hour later. BUT, give me a couple ounces of cream cheese mixed with a tablespoon of macadamia nut butter, and I'm good for hours.

We're all different. We all need to find what works best for each of us. Wendy couldn't do it my way, and if I ate as many carbs as Wendy does (and thrives on, might I add), it would set up cravings in me to beat the band!

Sounds like you'll fit right in with PP. All the plans (ok, most) are all just variations on a theme. Just find the one that works for you. Although I say I'm following PP, I'm really following basic LC principles. I try to keep my fat around 70%, my protein around 25%, and my carbs (ECC) around 5%. This seems to work well for me.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 14:58
Have A LC Margarita!

BF:

I bought the original book, and just ordered th PPL. I really liked how it explained why LC works, which DANDR didn't explain much.