Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 05:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%
Default Splendid Saturday, 5/22, PP Pals

Hey everyone! I've been quite busy lately wrapping up the end of the school year. 11 more days with kiddies to go!!!! But, I am not counting or anything It's going to be a HOT one here today, pushing 90 degrees. I am about to get out and either walk or rollerblade while it's still tolerable. I LOVE it when it's warm, but 90 degrees plus massive humidity just doesn't make me feel like exerting myself much, you know?

I learned a valuable lesson the other day at Max & Erma's. I decided to have the tortilla soup as part of my meal, which is totally allowable for my carb allowance. I was up 3 lbs the next day!!!! I ate completely normal the next day, and woke up the next day 3 lbs down again. That's ridiculous. You can't gain and lose 3 lbs like that, so it certainly was all water, but I've never seen anything like that before. I was at another restaurant's website, and it confirmed the issues some of us have noticed with MSG. The restaurant claimed that it didn't add MSG to any of its recipes, but that there is something that acts like it in things like soups. Yep, that would explain it. I have learned my lesson, and will never have the soup again!

It seems like a very busy time of year b/c the threads have been quite short lately. Hope everyone is doing well, especially those who are lurking but not posting. Bawdy, it's always good to be seeing a quick post by you. And I'm happy for you and your new love (aka tractor)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 05:36

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

OK. You caught me lurking!

Whenever I eat Chinese, I gain 5 or 6 pounds overnight, and it usually takes at least 3 or 4 days to lose it again. Also, I have to keep a large sippy cup of water next to the bed because I get so deydrated from all the salt and MSG (even though I tell them NOT to use MSG).

I'm solid at 154 now. My clothes still seem to be getting looser, so I'll probably drop a couple more pounds one of these days. For those of you who don't know, you can lose fat without losing pounds, at least at first. Here's basically how it works. Your body doesn't like change (and don't we all know it!). So, when your body metabolizes the fat that is stored in your cells, it replaces that fat with water as a "placeholder" to keep the cells "full." After a while, it realizes that the fat isn't coming back (this, of course, is assuming we don't get frustrated in the meantime that we're being so good and still not losing and so go off on a carb binge), and so finally purges the water. Hence, a whoosh. This is a very simplistic explanation, but it's basically what happens.

Congrats to all who are doing well. And a hearty "Hang in there!" to the others who are struggling.

And thanks to everyone for keeping me in their minds and hearts. It's not getting any easier, but I'm getting better at hiding my emotions. We're still emailing, and his messages are getting longer, more conversational, and with more references to me and how I'm getting along. Unfortunately, he's holding all the cards right now, and so I have to play it his way. He's been traveling from one job site to the next, so he's been living at hotels for the past 5 weeks with only an occasional night at a business associate's place. Yes, it was 5 weeks yesterday. We've never gone more than 2 days without at least talking on the phone to each other. This is really hard.

I'm going back to lurking now.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 07:37

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning. Have been extremely busy at work, have been lurking but not posting.

My car has been covered with green pollen every morning, I have christened it the Shrekmobile.

Just came back from a healthy carb grocery shopping trip, I now have the foods I need to get me back on track. Started using my Fitday software again.

I've been having almond pancakes for breakfast lately-
5T almond meal
1T sour cream (I use yogurt sometimes)
1 T water
pinch of Splenda
splash of Davinci French Vanilla syrup (I only have reg vanilla but it works)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 T oil or melted butter
Mix all, cook on low-med heat until done on one side (see bubbles) then flip and finish.
I use a little Vermont sugar free syrup with splenda, have even put blueberries in them. If you want them thicker, add a little wheat gluten or lc flour.
7 carbs, 3 fiber, 299 cal,26 fat, 34 protein(recipe as is). This recipe is all over the net, I thank various websites for it.

Bawdy, good morning! Is it supposed to be 90 degrees up in Maine? We're supposed to get the same weather as Wendy.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 65
BF:more than needed
Progress: 58%

HI everyone!! Could you send some of your warm weather and sunshine my way? We have ponds in the garden in almost everyone yards. Some of the neighbors have new pets, ducks. They are predicted another stormy and rainy day today. It gets rather depressing we haven't been able to get outside to do much of anything.

I have been sticking to my exercise routine. I have found a workout that logs almost as many calories burned in half the time. I really have to push it but it does feel good.

I am maintaining my weight at 167. I am really watching my portion sizes and salt intake. I have also been pushing the water. Hopefully, I can shock myself back on course and drop something.

Have a good weekend everyone. Brandy, hang in there. No one everyone said men were the most astute when it comes to feelings and emotions. My DH is still mystified by mine and it has been 13 years. Therese
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubie
Brandy, hang in there.

Er, that would be Bawdy, if you don't mind!

90 degrees? In Maine? Not the Maine I'm living in. It's been pouring all morning, and I don't even think it's 60 yet. Very cold rain. Supposed to rain for the next three days. Talk about lonely weekends. At least if it's sunny, I can get chores done outside. When it's raining, I have to stay in. The house can only get so clean, and I've already cleaned out all the closets.

I ended up renting 4 movies to watch today and tomorrow. It's nice having time off work, but it really can get lonely. I have no friends here in town. The closest one lives over an hour away, so I don't get any visitors.

So, you'll probably see me around the boards a lot this weekend. Maybe I'll finally get to 1,000 posts and earn another steak!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:23

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

hey ya'll!!

only have a min. i actually have to work today. yuck!! it is a sturgeon festivle (kid orientated thing) and i have to man our booth. it is usually pretty entertaining, but not when i have been out of town all week and need to go again next week. oh well, its overtime!!

the weather here has been pretty dreary and drissley as well. not very motivational. my backyard is turning into a jungle. i asked the other half to mow while i was gone last week, but it didn't get done. i may need to borrow bawdy's new toy here soon it it gets much taller!! it is already almost knee high.

btw, glad to see you around bawdy!! i will race you for that second steak. only i will be busy so you may win!!

congrats on everybody who is sticking to plan and seeing results. keep you head up to all those who are haveing trouble (myslef included) the scale read 200 this morning. but i also ate tortillas last night so we will see.

have a great saturday!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:53

BF:

Great cartoon ....
http://www.glasbergen.com/
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:54

BF:

#9   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 65
BF:more than needed
Progress: 58%

Bawdy, sorry about that, shows what happens when I try to do more than one thing at a time.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 13:09

BF:

No problem. I guess I've been called worse things. I don't even like Brandy (much prefer Irish whiskey, bourgon, or low-carb margaritas!).
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 15:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Long Time No-See

Hi everyone. Just wanted to drop in and say a quick hello. I have moved into my childhood home for awhile to take care of my Mom who is in the last stages of cancer that she has been battling for almost 20 years. She is almost completely bedridden now and on pretty potent pain killers and everything was way too much for my 82 yr. old Dad to handle on his own so I will be here until....I have lost 7 lbs. with all the nonstop round the clock nursing....not my recommended way to lose weight, but I'll take it
Well, gotta run and empty the potty chair and start dinner.
Hi to all!

Kat
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 19:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

Well we finished up the backyard today. I bought a glass picnic table with an umbrella and 6 padded chairs that match. It looks so good! The pond and waterfall turned out great. I'll be spending lots of time out there this summer.

My mom left for home this morning. My mom and dad will both be back down next week to sign the papers on their house. My dad will be bringing down a load of things and staying at the new house while my mom stays at their log home until it sell.

My dh will be home late tonight, and tomorrow afer church I'm going to ask him to grill some hamburgers. He will be so suprised to see what we've done in the yard.

Low carbing is going great.

Bawdy - thanks for the explanation on the whoosh. That makes sense. I love a big whoosh!