Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: my own adapted
Stats: 210/187/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question yet another yogourt question

I am into making my own yogourt... incredibly better than the commercial stuff. I've read the threads on the carb content of yogourt, i.e., it's reduced by the action of the bacteria eating up the lactose, but I have found a "lactose free" 2% milk with only 8 grams of carbs per cup (250ml) made by "Natrel" (available at Farm Boy and Market Fresh in the Ottawa area) and was wondering what the carb content of yogourt made from this milk would be given that it has no lactose for the bacteria to eat up. Are there other sugars in milk (i.e., carbs) that would be eaten up? I've already made some yogourt from it and it is heavenly (even if it turns out to be 4g per 1/2 cup), but I'd really like to get a better handle on what might be the real carb content. Any thoughts on this?
Regards
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 16:07

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I think its a great question. I am also a big homemade yogurt fan. I will be checking back here to see the answer. I used to make yogurt with non fat milk powder. Then recently I made it with whole milk and it is GREAT!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 23:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnfast
...I have found a "lactose free" 2% milk with only 8 grams of carbs per cup (250ml) made by "Natrel" (available at Farm Boy and Market Fresh in the Ottawa area) and was wondering what the carb content of yogourt made from this milk would be given that it has no lactose for the bacteria to eat up. Are there other sugars in milk (i.e., carbs) that would be eaten up? ...I'd really like to get a better handle on what might be the real carb content. Any thoughts on this?
Regards

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but:
  • lactose is the only source of carbs in milk, so...
  • I emailed Natrel last year on this very subject; it turns out it's not lactose-free in that there's no lactose in it but that they have added proprietary enzymes so that that lactose is properly broken down in the stomach by the lactose-intolerant (who lack these enzymes).
Hope this clarifies. That the milk has only 8 rather than the usual 12 or so grams is probably helpful, though.