Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 12:12

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Protein vs. Fat

I am currently doing Atkins. I have only lost approx 5lbs in 4 1/2 weeks. Most of which I lost the first week.

I am thinking about changing to PP, because I am having problem getting my fat intake up to the level it should be without eating way to many calories. I like to eat meat, and it seems like that is slowing me down. So in order to keep my fat intake up to the correct level and keep my calories reasonable, I have to cut out meats. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Also, I am scared to eat veggies. I only eat them usually at dinner time, because I am scared that I am going to go over 20 carbs. I like the idea of making sure that you get them in with every meal. I think this would make me more conscious of eating them.

Has anyone else had the same feelings, and switched from Atkins to PP similair reasons.

Thank you.

Wee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:14

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

I suggest that you create a free account for yourself a FitDay. You'll be able to track what you eat, and get the macronutrient (protein/fat/carbs) breakdown.

If you find that eating even your minimum protein requirement (which you can calculate at Zoneperfect.com) causes bad effects for you, then you may be better suited to a different diet. Although cutting out refined carbs is good for everyone, the full Protein Power plan may not be the best for you.

If Atkins isn't meeting your needs, I suggest reading The Nutrition Solution: A Guide to Your Metabolic Type for another perspective on diet. There's a little more discussion of this concept in this thread.

Last edited by acohn : Fri, May-30-03 at 14:15.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 17:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi WeeOne,

First of all I think it would be a great idea to read Protein Power. It has a lot of information you'll find useful.

However, I wonder if you are perhaps stressing a little unnecessarily about the fat with Atkins. Many of us find that we do best on 65-70% fat, but that is by no means necessary. In fact Dr Atkins never mentions how much fat, just carbs.

How many carbs are you having at the moment? By now, on Atkins you should be well past 20g. Did you know that a lot of people find their weight loss improves when they increase their carbs? Sounds odd, but it's true! And bear in mind that Protein Power starts on 30g. In fact there is not a huge difference between the two plans, other than the Drs Eades emphasis on getting sufficient protein.

Read the book, and see what you think. You sound as though you may be more comfortable with PP, and in that case, I'd say go for it!

As for your weight loss, you're actually doing well, believe it or not. It is very, very common, to plateau for about a month after an initial loss. It's unfortunate that LC is touted as a quick loss programme, because it is not unless you have a large amount to lose. From the stats here, most people (on whichever plan) can expect to lose 10% of the weight they wish to lose during the first 2 weeks, followed by 5 to 10% a month after that. And remember that this is now a way of life, not just a "diet."

I hope that helps you a little, Wee!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:09

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't respond, was not online all weekend.

Thank you for getting back to me.

As for fitday, I don't really care for it. It takes to long to calculate. I use my own journal in excel to keep track of everything that I eat, exercise and water.

I tried to find the PP book this weekend with no luck, I think that I will buy it on line.

Thanks again.

Wee
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 04:41

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

I'm currently reading the PP Life Plan and am quite enthusiast about it.

In the past 7 months I've combined low-carbing (initially very low-carb with refeeds in weekend) with weight training and spinning lessons.
Only when I increased carb intake to well above 20 g of carbs I could perform better in cardio.

There's no way around it.. if you exercise a lot, you can get away with a lot more carbs than when you don't.

For instance, I was cycle-touring for 3 days with friends along the Mediterranean and ate lots of carbs (dried fruit), but when I arrived on the holiday spot and was forced to eat too much pasta (Italy!) I was sleepy all day and wished for my own low-carb plan..

So, use more carbs when you exercise a lot (weights, cardio) and don't when you are being the couch potato.

Don't be afraid to eat veggies.. they are very good for everyone. The carbs there often don't count as they are the fiber version, esp. when you only eat the green ones. But the coloured ones are important for you because of the anti-oxydants, which is also why I am eating fruits again. Not at breakfast, because I try to keep insulin levels low before cycling to the gym (exercise in the morning) and hence stimulate fat burning, but when I come back in a more or less glycogen-depleted state (take a whey-honey/maltodextrin shake too).

Hope this helps.. I was afraid to go over 20 g of carbs too, but noticed a dramatic improvement in my anaerobic performance when I did so... be a dr. Jekyll & Hyde person !

Fietser Ivana