Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 09:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Both my parents died of colon cancer - my mother never ate much red meat cos she just didnt like it. in any case there was a family history of it on both sides of their families.

I'm checked regularly, but I will not avoid red meat! I'm convinced if I get it, it will be down to my genes and if I stick with low carb then that can only help me! MY CONSULTANT AGREES WITH ME
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Both my parents died of colon cancer - my mother never ate much red meat cos she just didnt like it. in any case there was a family history of it on both sides of their families.

I'm checked regularly, but I will not avoid red meat! I'm convinced if I get it, it will be down to my genes and if I stick with low carb then that can only help me! MY CONSULTANT AGREES WITH ME

What you eat and supplement can change the expression of genes.

Genes can be 'changed' by foods

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4441564.stm
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 15:27

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
What you eat and supplement affects your genes.

So as her mother didn't eat red meat, then obviously eating other things affected her genes and she got colon CA.

Can you cite some peer reviewed studies showing that what you eat and supp 'affects your genes'? Or were you meaning that it affects gene expression?

Seems to me this whole genes business is a convenient tag to hang things on too...I wonder why we necessarily believe so firmly in this binary: eating this or that macro causes this or that disease vs it doesn't matter because the genes will determine what you get. How simplistic is all that?!! Maybe we all just need to eat the broad range of foods that our ancestors were designed to eat as hunter gatherers and not eat so bloody much. The fact is we are all living longer lives now anyway.

Whoa, are you a vegan? Sure sounds like it.
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 15:50

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well, the red meat might change the DNA, but high blood sugar might fuel the development of actual cancer.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 00:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Man, I wish I'd known earlier that eating lots of red meat was bad. Ooops! Time to switch to white meat and eggs...
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 05:23
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

[QUOTE=VALEWIS]So as her mother didn't eat red meat, then obviously eating other things affected her genes and she got colon CA.

Quote:
Can you cite some peer reviewed studies showing that what you eat and supp 'affects your genes'? Or were you meaning that it affects gene expression?

Well food and supps and even lowering calories can prevent certain genes from getting expressed at all. We know that just by reducing calories in mice prevents 70% of the genetic changes that happen as the animals get older or the leve of expession is reduced, which also seems to be favourable in terms of the health of these animals. Humans seem to respond in the same way.

Quote:
Seems to me this whole genes business is a convenient tag to hang things on too...

Yup

Quote:
I wonder why we necessarily believe so firmly in this binary: eating this or that macro causes this or that disease vs it doesn't matter because the genes will determine what you get.

Well people can be genetically predisposed to having a disease, but it doesn't mean they have to suffer from it, countless studies show that how much we eat, what foods and other things can prevent the disease from ever progressing to a certain threshold where it causes problems or delay the onset of the disease by years or decades.

Quote:
How simplistic is all that?!! Maybe we all just need to eat the broad range of foods .

Well a broad range of food is good, as long as its quite healthy. I eat around 26 different foods a day.. rather than the 4-5 different foods that I used to eat which were junk too.

Quote:
The fact is we are all living longer lives now anyway.

Yeah for now, but if people keep ignoring their health warnings then it could decrease, unless technology like stem cells, genetic engineering, robotics, nanotech etc... help.

Quote:
Whoa, are you a vegan? Sure sounds like it

Not really, I just eat real healthy, I think!

Last edited by Whoa182 : Mon, Feb-06-06 at 06:05.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 14:47

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

thank you thank you thank you! and here's why, i startd reading all this, trying to make sense of it, and had just about come to the conclusion that it wasn't worth worrying about (minor to me, compared to the rest of what i have going on with food and family)

and all of a sudden it dinged

with the exception of hamburger, i've been in this stall since about the same time we ran out of red meat (last may) and have not replenished the stock since then.

so now i have a new angle to look at.

thank you for the realization

i am still going to muddle through the post, but unfortunately alot of it is over my head. full steam ahead though
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 21:56

Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Whoa, I agree with some of the things you say:

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder why we necessarily believe so firmly in this binary: eating this or that macro causes this or that disease vs it doesn't matter because the genes will determine what you get.

Well people can be genetically predisposed to having a disease, but it doesn't mean they have to suffer from it, countless studies show that how much we eat, what foods and other things can prevent the disease from ever progressing to a certain threshold where it causes problems or delay the onset of the disease by years or decades

Here's just another study about Chinese Americans--

(from this site http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/11/2/187 )

Quote:
Previous studies have analyzed total carbohydrate as a dietary risk factor for colorectal cancer (CRC) but obtained conflicting results, perhaps attributable in part to the embedded potential confounder, fiber. The aim of this study was to analyze the nonfiber ("effective") carbohydrate component (eCarb) separately and to test the hypothesis that effective carbohydrate consumption is directly related to CRC risk. The data (473 cases and 1192 controls) were from a large, multicenter, case-control study of Chinese residing in North America. Multivariate logistic regression was used to perform a secondary analysis controlling for age; sex; consumption of fat, fiber, calcium, and total kilocalories; body mass (Quetelet’s) index; family history; education; and years in North America. Odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were calculated to estimate risk among subgroups by sex and cancer site. A statistically significant positive association was observed between eCarb consumption and risk of CRC in both men (OR, 1.7 comparing highest with lowest tertile of eCarb consumption; 95% CI, 1.1–2.7) and women (OR, 2.7; 95% CI, 1.5–4.8). As expected, the ORs for total carbohydrate were somewhat lower than those for effective carbohydrate, but the differences were not large. A sex difference in risk by colorectal subsite was observed, with risk concentrated in the right colon for women (OR, 6.5; 95% CI, 2.4–18.4) and in the rectum for men (OR, 2.4; 95% CI, 1.2–4.8). These data indicate that increased eCarb and total carbohydrate consumption are both associated with increased risk of CRC in both sexes, and that among women, relative risk appears greatest for the right colon, whereas among men, relative risk appears greatest for the rectum.

It appears Chinese Americans may be genetically predisposed for colorectal cancer, and lower carb consumption can prevent or delay the disease.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 22:45

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182

Nope, I'll pass! I distrust the mainstream media immensly....

Also, my whole take on this is,

A) You don't eat red meat
B) At the very least you don't think we should overdo iton the red meat
C) Getting enough fiber in one's diet is important.
D) Organic grass fed, hormone free beef is probably the best choice if one eats red meat.
E) If D is correct, red meat from wild game such as the deer and elk types would be sublime........and it is!
F) A potential link between red meat eaters and certain diseases, yes. The total cause and effect relationship and prevention clearly outlined, no. There are too many factors left unchecked, to many controls yet put to test. This smaks too much to me of the whole fat and cholesterol smoking guns of decades past. See, the problem with smoking guns is, the smoke finally clears and the real culprit can then be identified.

Also, after reading the whole thread, I am hungry, I am gonna go have a steak and a salad........

Facinating read, great debate!

Last edited by ProfGumby : Mon, Feb-06-06 at 22:54.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 23:23

Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

And just one more, Whoa. A news report today, not specifically about carb consumption, but linking cancer deaths wih insulin levels, from 1) insulin administration, or 2) sulfonylurea drugs which stimulate insulin production from the pancreas, versus metformin which lowers insulin levels and lowers insulin resistance...

Plus a great quote by this Dr. Johnson--

Quote:
Sulfonylureas and Insulin Tied to Cancer Deaths in Diabetics

By David Douglas

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Feb 06 - There appears to be an association between use of sulfonylureas or insulin and an increased risk of cancer in patients with type 2 diabetes, compared with patients treated with metformin, Canadian researchers report in the February issue of Diabetes Care.

However, senior investigator Dr. Jeffrey A. Johnson told Reuters Health, "Our study on this relationship is very preliminary; it is still uncertain whether the increased risks of cancer-related mortality we observed are related to a protective effect of metformin or deleterious effects of sulfonylurea and insulin."

Dr. Johnson of the University of Alberta and colleagues note that numerous studies have suggested an association between type 2 diabetes and cancer.

To determine whether there might be a relationship with agents that increase insulin, the researchers examined information from Saskatchewan databases. The team identified more than 10,300 new users of metformin or sulfonylureas. Their mean age was 63.4 years.

Over an average follow-up of 5.4 years, cancer mortality was 3.5% in metformin users, 4.9% in those on sulfonylurea monotherapy and 5.8% in insulin users.

After adjustment, compared to the metformin cohort, the hazard ratio for cancer-related mortality was 1.3 in the sulfonylurea group and 1.9 in the insulin group.

Regardless of the underlying causes for these differences, concluded Dr. Johnson, "what is apparent from our work -- and others -- is that how you lower blood sugar may be as important as how well you lower it."

Diabetes Care 2006;29:254-258.

Insulin, unopposed, is a deadly hormone. I try to eat real healthy, too, by not stimulating insulin secretion.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 23:54

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 225/219/200 Male 73"
BF:19/18/10
Progress: 24%

A nice hunk of red meat is always grrrrrrrrreat with several tall glasses of iced tea.

MJ
Utica, NY