Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 22:03

Plan: Fat Flush Plan (Zone)
Stats: 249/133/115
BF:
Progress: 87%

hi Joypod!!! what a wonderful name, wow!

I've been LCing since September and I lost 90lbs since then, 80 of them in the last 4 months. I tried a number of LC plans and I found that the zone is the best for me as well. however, the 'original' zone (a la sears) gave me very slow weight loss, so I kept reading and found that there are many variants of 40:30:30 plans, some make me gain, some give me impressive weight loss.

it is strange but true, caloric proportions are not the end of the story, what you eat and how matters as well. another factor to account for is changes in our bodies as we diet. any specific diet has only so much to offer. once our body gets the best from it, it is necessary to change the diet to keep losing fast. I did atkins in January and February and was very happy on it. I loved fatty foods to no end and I never cared for salads to tell you the truth. eventually I developed a big taste for veggies and mood problems on atkins, let alone breakthrough bleedings (ketogenic diets cause blood thinning/platelets problems in about 30% of people). so when I heard from RamonaK on this forum that she lost 20lbs in 2 weeks on the zone, Irushed in, lol. It's been a blessing. I am now on the Fat Flush Plan which is tremendous in terms of fat loss. I do eat 100-120g of carbs per day, a big part of that comes from freshly squeezed vegetable juices, since it is nearly impossible to eat so many salads, and I eat a couple of fruits per day, sometimes more. bread is ok, as long as it is not from wheat: rye, spelt, kamut. I suspect that just saying 'bread' is not all of it, some breads are better than others, I might have an allergy for wheat, or something, but it really triggers big bingeing in me. i also love oatmeal, have it 2 times per week. many of my carbs come from dairy and sometimes from crystalline fructose which I use for desserts.

so the immediate solution for your problem with upping carbs would be either by adding fresh fruit or by juicing, must be freshly squeezed vegetable juices, though. I got a great juicer, Waring brand, very affordable and cool looking and I am totally in love with it, lol. be very careful as you will up your carbs, my advise is for the first week drop your fat intake drastically at the same time and then slowly introduce fats again, to see just how much you can have and still lose.

calories do matter. but it really depends on a diet and the person. from what I read in the atkins books, he recommends about 1500cal per day, less if stalled (as in fat fast). Protein Power recommends 10times of current weight in calories, less if stalled. The zone nutritionists recommend about 10times target weight in calories, more if you are very active physically, less if you are very sedentary, etc. medically supervised plans which include high tech supplements and shakes go as low as 400-700cal per day for very stubborn cases and for morbidly obese persons, etc.

to make your fitday available for us you could choose that option on fitday itself, it asks you on the bottom I think if you wish to make it visible to others, click yes. then post a link to your fitday page in your jounal. there are other strategies like copy from fitday and paste in your journal here, but I never used them so I do not know how to do it.

hugs
Mila
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 22:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/174/158.7
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi Mila,

That's great information you've given me, thanks.

I reckon I'll keep going the way I am for another couple of weeks, trying to keep an eye on those cals and carbs and if I'm still not having much luck I might give the Zone a try.

This way of eating feels 'almost' right to me but I feel like I need to eat fruit and grains of some sort also.

I'll do the link thing you've suggested with my FitDay journal because it's really helped me keep track of what I'm eating and it's a great way for other's to assess where I'm going wrong.

In fact, here's the link now:
http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJour...ml?Owner=Joypod

I'm not sure if that actually pasted as a link...

Anyway, feel free to have a look. I don't know if it only shows you what I've eaten today or if you can view the other days also. I've only been keeping that journal since the 13th so there isn't much info in there yet.

Thanks again Mila...

JP
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 06:54

Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi hi!

I started LoCarbing Mid Jan - under advice from my Dr. I am currently just coming out of stall, where I have been since a major stress attack that has lasted the past couple of weeks.

I have lost 15kgs though, little over I think.

Even though I have stalled weight wise, my clothes definately got looser.

I eat insane amounts of vegies. In fact that is most of my fridge. I eat more vegies now than I ever have in my life, and I have found that some I didn't like before I now adore - so interesting how our tastes change.

Good luck and stick at it.

Luv
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 04:04
Registered Member

Stats: 264.5/161/154
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've been on Atkins since July last year, and have lost 42 kilos.

All I can say is "Eat your vegies"!! That's where you should increase your carbs from.

Tara