Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 13:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/217/175 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default New Member - Needs Help

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kathy and I am from Ontario, Canada. I am 25 years old.

I just came across your forum today and decided to join. I have been looking at different diet plans and cannot decide which one would be the best for me to try to go on.

I have a lot of medical problems and my weight has been up and down like crazy the passed few years. I think most of my weight gain has been due to medications and lack of exercise due to medical issues. The passed two years I have gained about 70 pounds and it seemed almost rapid. I haven't gained anything or lost anything in about 8 months now. I weigh in now at 239 pounds and I am 5'10. I am just not comfortable with this weight for myself. Ideally I would like to go down to at least 175 or less.

Could anyone suggest a diet for me that doesn't take a lot of work?Meaning a lot of exercise. I can walk and due lesser exercises that don't involve running, etc. I use to do aerobics and all that but now I am not able to do that now.

I have been reading about the atkins diet today. The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't allow fruit. Also, I am allergic to seafood. Which I know is high in protein. Have people been finding this diet easy to follow and how much exercise have they needed to go with it?

Any other diet suggestions I would be happy to look at them as well. I am not sure where to get started so any links or names of diets would be helpful as well so I can start reading more on them.

Thanks so much for any help and or advice,
Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 13:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Kathy, hi from a fellow Ontarian Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you have a read through the link on the right - Which LC plan is right for me? It gives you a brief description of a few of the plans you can choose from.

I understand your fears about 'giving up fruit' - but honestly, that's not what LC is about, even Atkins! Yes, the first two weeks are strict and very LC, but after that you should be moving into a phase called Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL) where you add in more carbs, including berries. Other plans like Protein Power have you eating low glycemic fruits like apples, grapefruit and berries right off the bat.

All LC plans can be done without eating seafood. Heck, until recently I've been doing them w/o eating fish! There are many options for protein sources from pork to fowl, to beef. LC isn't high protein, though - it's all about F.A.T.

As for the exercise, walking is considered excercise so you're on your way.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 20:13

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Kathy!
I just want to say that for me Atkins has been incredibely easy and it is the first time that I can loose weight without starving myself and without pills.
I hope you can compare all low-carb plans and choose the better for you.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 22:54

Plan: Straight Keto
Stats: 315/267/180 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hi Kathy,

I have been on the Atkins plan for exactly one month now. I've lost 23 pounds to date. And I haven't done any excercise to speak of (this is not to say that you shouldn't). I just joined Bally's and I plan to improve alot in the excercise department. I also don't like seafood, and haven't had any at all (not that I've had any in years anyway). IMO this is a very simple plan to follow and improve yourself with and is not difficult. And you can go back to some fruits after the induction phase is over.
The only "hard" parts I find are the increased amount of food prep you have to do, and the lack of many suitable "convenience" foods. Weighing the advantages with the few disadvantages makes this an easy choice for me. Your mileage may vary of course. Definitely look at the "which low carbplan is right for me" link at the sideof the page and see if you can find something doable for you.

HTH,
Met
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 17:07
Registered Member

Stats: 239/217/175 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies.

I am going to start taking the time and reading the links on the side and find the plan the best suits me.

I just took a quick glance and I couldn't believe all the different ones. Looks like lots of reading and choosing.

Thanks again.

Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 12:56

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 185/158.5/100 Female 5'4
BF:???%
Progress: 31%
Wink Welcome!!!!!!!

Welcome Kathy,

I joined this forum yesterday, but I've been on the Atkins plan for about one month and a half. I love it! My husband and daughter decided to join a week after I started after watching the delicious food I was eating and my wonderful weight loss progress. I recommend that you read Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution. READ THE WHOLE BOOK,,,Don't skip pages! It is just wonderful and full of weight loss tips.

This weight loss program really works...

Last edited by Terese : Sat, Sep-06-03 at 12:58.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 23:09

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

My family is from the south, so I don't like fish unless it's battered and deep-fried. Since batter is a no-no, no seafood for me!
Chicken, though, what I have learned to do with chicken.....