Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:44
<---The Crazy One!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

I remember a while back that this woman title constipation "cheese bottom" meaning that maybe you are eating too much cheese. I noticed that whe I eat less cheese for a while, then i'm more regular. I'm having probs now, but i noticed that I ate a lot of cheese yesterday and the day before.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:54

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Meats and fats leave little residue when properly digested. Vegetables, nuts, seeds and low-carb fruits provide plenty of fiber, although it's true your intake will be limited while eating very low carbs, such as Atkins Induction. A fiber supplement might be helpful, such as psyllium husks. Ground flax seeds are excellent too. Make sure you're consuming adequate fats & oils, and drinking lots of water; dehydration can lead to constipatioin no matter how much fiber you eat. If you're eating a carb-controlled diet of natural, minimally processed proteins and fats, along with plenty of leafy greens and other vegetables, then a fiber intake of 15g per day is quite adequate.

I get about 15g fiber per day, sometimes a bit less, but and I eat nothing except natural foods -- meats, eggs, little dairy, but lots of veggies, etc. My fat intake is about 65% per day, and I drink at least 3 liters of water per day, most days more. I eat more than 3 cups of green veggies per day. The psyllium husks I've been taking do nothing to move things along. The strange thing is that I'm losing weight fine -- where is the food going, cause it aint coming out the other end!?
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:56
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

that kinda scares me too whenever i don't go for a few days. I would like to think my body burned it..
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth
......It was the surgeon who told me 30 grams per day fiber AFTER being inside my unhappy colon. They KNEW I was on Atkins too. They wrote 30 grams fiber per day on my discharge papers from the hospital. This varying of basic data is a real problem.....

.......I will continue to work on the balance "for me". I can tell you that 15 grams of fiber for "me" is not enough. My colon laughs at 15 grams

I need more.
hi Jake,

Actually, your message is a good reminder that I should've stated in my rant above that it's directed at the Generic Low-Carber who's not under medical supervision as you are. Of course one should strive to follow drs' orders as much as possible.

~~~~~~~~~

re - FLAX .. just so folks know, if you use Fitday to keep track .. there's 2 different entries for flax seeds, and one is lower fiber than the other, thus resulting in a higher net digestible carb count. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but the higher fiber (lower net carb) one jives with the calculations from the Canadian Flax Council website, so that's the one I go with. The entries are as follows:
Seeds, flax seed: 1 cup .. total carbs 53.09g, fiber 43.24g (9.85g net or ECC)

Flax seed: 1 cup .. total carbs 53.94g, fiber 24.51g (29.43g net or ECC)
Using the lower net carb value, ¼ cup flax seeds (= 4 Tbsp) would only contribute 2.46g net carbs to your daily menu, and would provide 10.8g fiber ... so you'd certainly be able to increase beyond 2 Tbsp per day if and when you feel that would be helpful.

LadyBelle is right .. if you eat more veggies, and cut back on the animal carbs (processed meats, shellfish, dairy, eggs), sweeteners etc (if you use those) and emphasized high-fiber veggies and flax, you could come up with 25 - 30g fiber daily without relying on pills or going over 20g net carbs per day.

California avocadoes are quite high in fiber, low in net carbs. Asparagus, spinach, chard, kale, mushrooms are all great carb and fiber bargains. If you can find it in your area, unsweetened soy milk is a good substitute for dairy cream to use on your flax cereal. West Soy and Natura unsw. soy milks are 4g total carbs, 3g fiber ... so only 1g net carbs per cup. These foods are all permitted on Induction (ok, the soy milk is an assumption, since Atkins products made with soy are permitted on Induction ).

hth,

Doreen
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:51

Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

hey_Neener -

I know it was unintentional, but your reply had me laughing so hard tears were rolling down my face:

"I don't go everyday-but when I do go it's comfortable. They are a tasty treat too."

Pam
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 16:37

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:

doreen..

thats for flax seeds, right? i mean.. its not for the flax meal (mine says carbs and fiber are equal), right?

just want to make sure im doing this right..
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:05
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriolis
I get about 15g fiber per day, sometimes a bit less, but and I eat nothing except natural foods -- meats, eggs, little dairy, but lots of veggies, etc. My fat intake is about 65% per day, and I drink at least 3 liters of water per day, most days more. I eat more than 3 cups of green veggies per day. The psyllium husks I've been taking do nothing to move things along. The strange thing is that I'm losing weight fine -- where is the food going, cause it aint coming out the other end!?
Hmmm ... I'm not sure the reason why the intestinal "thing" isn't moving. I routinely eat 15g fiber per day, sometimes a bit more or less, and no problem. I don't use psyllium (allergic), sometimes have flax seed .. but not every day. In fact, if I go over 20 - 25g fiber for more than a couple days in a row, I'm in the bathroom rather more than I care to be

One thing, I know that fiber requires the action of bacteria in the large intestine in order to be most effective. I hate to suggest another pill, but you might find supplementing with acidolphilus-bifidus to be helpful (take on an empty stomach). Only needs to be taken temporarily, to help "repopulate" a depleted bacterial flora.

Just a thought

Doreen
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You can also try using SteviaPlus Fiber. Look at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=1206112

I reprinted what the package states, and improved colon health is one of the claims.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:25

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%

Try the wheat bran, as was suggested earlier. 3 tablespoons = 7gm carbs, 6 of which is fiber. Perhaps your problem is not with psyllium husks itself, but rather not having a blend of soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. Straight psyllium put a hurtin' on me, but mixing psyllium and wheat bran (which, by the way, doesn't taste all that great) works wonders.

Since I've cheated recently and went back on 20 carbs for the week, I went back to 1 tablespoon psyllium husks and 3 tablespoons of wheat bran twice a day, with good results. Perhaps you could try ground flax seed and wheat bran?
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:35
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod
doreen..

thats for flax seeds, right? i mean.. its not for the flax meal (mine says carbs and fiber are equal), right?

just want to make sure im doing this right..
hi peapod,

Flax meal is simply ground up whole flax seeds, nothing has been added or removed. So, the counts for whole seeds and ground meal will be the same .. by weight. Flax seeds become "fluffier" when ground, so a level Tbsp of meal will weigh a bit less than a Tbsp of whole seeds .. and the counts will be a bit lower all round.

Another problem is that manufacturers are permitted to round fiber grams up or down to the nearest whole number. So if the serving size on your flax meal is 1 tbsp, it's very likely they've rounded the fiber content up. One Tbsp of flax meal will yield approx. 0.5g net carbs.

hth,

Doreen
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi All! Thanks for all the wonderful replies!

My food intake: Today:
Total: 1658 calories
Fat: 122 1094 68%
Sat: 41 370 23%
Poly: 18 162 10%
Mono: 41 369 23%
Carbs: 42 85 5%
Fiber: 21 0 0%
Protein: 110 440 27%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Foods Eaten Today
Food Name Servings Cals Fat Carb Prot
Cal-Mag 1 serving 0 0 0 0
Mega Men Vitamen 1 serving 0 0 0 0
Seeds Flax 1 TBSP 2 serving 94 7 7 3
Cream, heavy, fluid 1 fl oz 103 11 1 1
Splenda 1 individual packet 4 0 1 0
Egg, whole, raw 3 extra large 259 17 2 22
Squash, summer, green, raw 1 small 17 0 3 1
canola oil 1 tablespoon 124 14 0 0
Roast Beef Thin/Trim 4 Oz 1 serving 140 4 2 24
Mayonnaise, regular 1 tablespoon 99 11 0 0
Cheese, natural, Cheddar or American type 1 slice (1 oz) 114 9 0 7
Beef, ground, (approximately 17% fat), raw 8 oz 531 39 0 42
Onions, young green, raw 0.5 small (3" long) 1 0 0 0
Peppers, jalapeno, raw 0.5 pepper 2 0 0 0
Burrito Shell 1 serving 100 3 21 8
Sour cream 0.125 cup 62 6 1 1
Tomatoes, raw 0.5 small whole (2-2/5" dia) 10 0 2 0
Total Calories 1658 122 42 110

I will have 1 serving porkrinds soon, for a snack...with 1 pat butter. That will wrap it up for the day. TOO FEW calories.... 1 carb too many ...short on fiber by 9gr...protein and fat are fine.

I had 13 cups water so far...I ALWAYS keep splenda to one per day...I always limit cheese to 1oz per day...and I only had the damn burrito shell (la torilla brand) to up my fiber. Not much more I can do here...as I am not supposed to go over 3 cups salad/veggie...and THAT rule is about to change! LOL!
OOPS: Scheduled the cheese but am not having it today. So...have even less calories etc...

Best wishes;
Colonic Jake!

Last edited by mammoth : Tue, Jul-15-03 at 18:07.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:55

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Hmmm ... I'm not sure the reason why the intestinal "thing" isn't moving. I routinely eat 15g fiber per day, sometimes a bit more or less, and no problem. I don't use psyllium (allergic), sometimes have flax seed .. but not every day. In fact, if I go over 20 - 25g fiber for more than a couple days in a row, I'm in the bathroom rather more than I care to be

One thing, I know that fiber requires the action of bacteria in the large intestine in order to be most effective. I hate to suggest another pill, but you might find supplementing with acidolphilus-bifidus to be helpful (take on an empty stomach). Only needs to be taken temporarily, to help "repopulate" a depleted bacterial flora.

Just a thought

Doreen

Thanks Doreen. I'll try Colonic Jake's flax seed concoction and see if that helps kick start the old bowls. If not, I might consider a trip to the doc. But I'll look into the acidolphilis-bifidus supplement... bacteria depletion could be what's happening, or at least contributing.