Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 16:07
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Xrays and MRIs

When you have a scan done can you tell if it is an old injury?

thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 16:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
When you have a scan done can you tell if it is an old injury?

thanks

Absolutely. Old scar tissue will be obvious and easily differentiated from newer injuries.

Hope this helps
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 21:58
Registered Member

Thanks Doreen.

I'm really confused, I was diagnosed with freiberg's disease. The symptoms started a year ago when I hurt my foot at work. The workers comp drs treated it like a work injury but the medical examiner said it happened when I was 14, i'm 53. He said it really started in the womb and it was my destiny. He said it came back now because I'm getting old. He's got a real way with women. Its the only avascular necrosis that isn't age related. The MRI and xrays reports didn't say anything about it being an old injury and I didn't have a noticeable injury at 14 or any age until last year.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 14:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It sounds like it wasn't caused by a specific injury, but a chronic condition. He may have picked 14 because that is when girls typically go through a growth spurt where hard and soft tissues do not grow at the same rate. That's where my loose ligaments came from. Luckily the WCB did not use that to deny me medical and physiotherapy when I sheared off my ACL on the job.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 20:40
Registered Member

Wow that's very interesting deidra. I didn't realize that was the cause. I have a very minor case, hoping it will go away with the foot brace and rest. Mine started when I developed plantar fasciitis my feet were stiff as boards and my job made me keep running around. I felt something give in my foot, they kept thinking it was plantars in the front of my foot but it wouldn't go away.

So your case was from the growth spurt differentials but in your knee? Shearing an acl sounds terribly serious. did you recover from it? Is it a rare disorder also?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 18:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
Wow that's very interesting deidra. I didn't realize that was the cause. I have a very minor case, hoping it will go away with the foot brace and rest. Mine started when I developed plantar fasciitis my feet were stiff as boards and my job made me keep running around. I felt something give in my foot, they kept thinking it was plantars in the front of my foot but it wouldn't go away.

So your case was from the growth spurt differentials but in your knee? Shearing an acl sounds terribly serious. did you recover from it? Is it a rare disorder also?
I had an ACL reconstruction and it is fantastic now. Actually ACL tears and ruptures are pretty common in girls & women doing sports with a lot of twisting of the knee. If I had known then what I know now, I would have done the physiotherapy exercises to strengthen muscles around the knee that I learned after the fact. On LC, we excrete more electrolytes, and low electrolytes can cause muscle spasms.

I sometimes get plantar fasciitis but now it only happens when I forget to get enough magnesium, potassium & sodium. I take Mg at night 250-350 mg and then put half potassium & half NaCl on my food, ~1 tsp per day (I don't eat any processed foods, so that is where I get all my salt.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 19:27
Registered Member

Wow, I'm glad it all worked out for your knee.

I told my dr yesterday about drinking salt water she thought I was out of my mind but I have the electrolyte issues on low carb too. Then I went to get my blood test and they couldn't get the blood to move I was so dehydrated.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 19:31
Registered Member

There is a top ortho in my town, going to consult and find out if its an symtom less unhealed old injury, new, or renewed. I'm puzzled that 4 drs and 2 radiologists never mentioned it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 21:11

BF:

I get a weird look when I tell friends and family to drink a full glass of water if they have a headache. If they still have it in 30 minutes, I'll let them have some aspirin. They completely forget that they had a headache.

I get the same crazy look when I suggest Mg, K, Na and a full glass of water for plantar fasciitis, muscle cramps or spasms. The few who try it are shocked. Even the non low-carbers find it helps, often because they got the PF after running around all day and not getting enough to drink or eat.