Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 20:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 366/356/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Hi Everyone!

I'm "new" to this protein power diet and book. But, I'm ready to tackle this!!! I must say, it feels like I'm having to give up a safety blanket (carbs) but after reading partically through the book...MAN does it EXPLAIN why this is so important!!!!!

I just changed to a new and awesome Dr. and he has got me looking into this program. He's already improved my life and I believe in his recommendations. So, I will be coming here for support and guidance to help me do this.

Look forward to learning from those of you in the know!

Lynn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 04:39

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

This is a wonderful WOL and WOE. You've made the right decision.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 10:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 366/356/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thank you BawdyWench, lol. Fun name btw!

It's been only day 6 of this new to me eating lifestyle..and I've almost already dropped 10 pounds! Mind you, I had previously "lost" these same pounds a few months ago...but was having a bear of a time getting pounds to leave DESPITE everything I was doing. I had basically stopped trying and caved into my cravings out of that frustration. So these newly lost ten pounds, although good, aren't yet SUPER THRILLING as the new territory will be when I get passed 332. That was my "lowest". So I have a ways to go. However to drop almost 10lbs so quickly AND learning the value of why eating this way IS the right thing for me has been VERY EYE OPENING and self inspiring!

I'm going to report my personal progress to this thread to I can keep tabs of myself here.

Here is a little information on my situation: I'm "hypo" thyroid, and insulin resistent. I weighed 415 three 1/2 years ago. I had lost a good amount of weight the first year I was trying to approach this..and used the diet drug Xenical to help me. It did help. Not to mention being newly diagnosed both thyroid and insulin resistent....it all seemed to work with some degree of continuity. But...then, despite my BEST efforts it painfully came to a hault. I couldn't for the LIFE of me figure out why it wasn't happening for me.....and returning to my Dr wondering continually what I was doing wrong.

I was eating healthily, and even faithfully exercising 3 to 5 times a week walking 3 to 5 miles a time. Getting NO results. I was meanwhile learning on my own just what my thyroid condition was all about...as basically for most ALL of my adult life I obviously put my head in the sand, did (ate) what I wanted, and just assumed my "condition" was a direct result of my own doing. To a certain degree it was, but to a much MAJOR degree my own body just wasn't "functioning" as "normal" and I was helping it function abnormally as a person could!

However, through learning how important it was that Dr's don't necessarily treat patient's with thyroid conditions...they just treat "close enough" when "optimal" is what is and should be the goal. Close enough is far to vague. Thyroid conditions also promote depression. I had that as well.

To make a llllllllong story short. My whole endoctrine system was out of whack. Since thyroid and diabetes conditions ARE "hormones"....and my depression was PMS related....and that TOO is "hormone"....it was alllllll work againest me.

So, here's where I am today. I for one, have a NEW DR. and he's FANTASTIC!!!!! He's an MD but also treats alternatively. His goal is for treating someone till they feel "optimal" and will use the "BEST" choice for that objective whether it be through conventional medicine OR "natural"...with the emphasis being to use the least "side effect" treatment that works! I love his approach and am all ears!

Within ONE MONTH of treating me I already FEEL "improved"! He plainly saw, unlike my FORMER Dr...that my thyroid was being undertreated. It isn't any longer. It's now being optimally treated without overtreatment!

Plus, I'm undergoing Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy....which is ALSO natural...and compounding specifically for ME for MY exact female hormonal needs according to my blood tests from a local compounding pharmacy. I love them, and wouldn't be WITHOUT them. It's almost been two months now, and my PMS symptoms have almost disappeared. I'm not crazy, irrational, depressed!!!!!

In addition to these two things above, and remaining on the glucophage that I've been on for "insulin resistance" (diabetes) and NOW finding this way of eating and WHY no other DR has EVER EXPLAINED THIS TO ME BEFORE.....I can see that I can accomplish my goal of optimal health..and have HOPEFULLY a body that is a reflection of JUST THAT! That is my goal.

I knew "sugar" was "bad" but my sugar cravings OVERTOOK me....especially if it was PMS or I was just so dissappointed in getting NOTHING for the effort.

My thyroid wasn't getting T3..and without it "losing" is impossible. However, for WHATEVER REASON the "medical" community doesn't "get this" is beyond ME???? However, they don't. For YEARS I tried to convience my former Dr that this could possibly be a "cause" for my lack of success....ONLY for me to be "blown off". That is the VERY thing that the compounding pharmacy suggested, that my former Dr ALSO refused, and it's the VERY THING that my NEW Dr prescribed!!!!! How frustrating it's been!

But, none the less, I find myself FINALLY in the situation that I can tackle this from a "normal" stand point now. I have the drive and the determination. I have the knowledge...at least the ability to learn and apply it now with new found hope!

Sorry for the length. But, I just wanted this board to understand what I've come through.

Next week, I'm going to add back exercise AGAIN...and hopefully that will also aid in losses!

I'm having sugar cravings...but I am doing surprisingly well putting them off!!!

Thanks for "listening"

Lynn
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 14:47

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

welcome...see you in the java room
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 11:47

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Welcome, Lynn! Sorry I didn't see your post before. Wow, what a story! I'm so glad you found what will work for you -- the LC lifestyle. The "Java Room" that Unity referred to is the sticky at the top of this forum. We have a core group of people, but a lot of people lurk and stop in from time to time. Yes, we do chat a lot, but the LC lifestyle is what brought us together and what keeps us together.

One woman in our group, Dawn, has been able to get off insulin completely since beginning this lifestyle! Here's her story: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181586

You might also find good information in the forum on diabetes: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132

Here's one on thyroid: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76

I agree with you on the PP book. The Eades explain things so clearly. They tell you WHY you should eat certain things and WHY you should avoid others. That helps a lot, I find.

Come join us in the Java Room. Another woman, Songberrie, is doing amazingly well! When she first joined our group, she was struggling somewhat. Now she's feeling better, has lost a lot of weight already, and does regular workouts. She and Dawn are two of my heros.

You can do it! You already have the key to a healthy future!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 08:40

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default right here w/you!

Hi Lynn##...I too am hypothyroid AND insulin resistant. I take levoxyl (137ug) and Metformin ER (500x3); sounds like we're in a similar situation!

I too am just giving PP a try, after no success (albeit NO gain on Atkins); I'm shooting for 100g protein/50-60g carbs and moderate fat per day, at about 1200 calories.

We can go on this journey together. GOOD LUCK!