Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 18:04

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/155/155 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Bear said that meat is completely digested and leaves the stomach in one hour whereas vegetable matter takes 2-6 hours. He mentioned some war vet in Napoleon's army that had a hole in his abdomen that allowed the doctors to watch the digestion take place. Does anyone have any info on this?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 19:26

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Tarlach- your posts just make me so sad. I lurve my salt.

I was ready to go buy some HCL and then I remembered I had some ACV so I am giving that a go first. Some anecdotal comments that it helped people with digestion.

If that does not work, it will be the HCL, and then maybe the salt. sigh
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 19:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/195/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesg
Bear said that meat is completely digested and leaves the stomach in one hour whereas vegetable matter takes 2-6 hours. He mentioned some war vet in Napoleon's army that had a hole in his abdomen that allowed the doctors to watch the digestion take place. Does anyone have any info on this?

Actually, this occurred on Mackinac Island, Michigan in 1822. The man was Alexis St. Martin, a trapper. The doctor was William Beaumont and there is a well known hospital in Michigan named after him, Beaumont Hospital.

Here is a little excerpt from an article........

It was a miracle that Alexis St. Martin survived. A gunshot at close range had torn a gaping hole in his abdomen. No one believed that he could possibly live. Dr. William Beaumont applied a carbonated, fermenting poultice of flour, hot water, charcoal, and yeast to the wound and did what else he could to make the patient comfortable in his last hours. The doctor was as surprised as anyone when Alexis lived through the first night.

The next day, the seriously wounded man was moved from the trading post at Mackinac Island to the small, one-room hospital where Dr. Beaumont treated his patients. There began one of medical history's strangest partnerships.

Dr. Beaumont, a young army surgeon with a keen and inquiring mind, was stationed at Mackinac Island. Alexis was a Canadian woodsman. The accident occurred in June of 1822, when trappers had returned to the outpost to trade the skins they had taken the previous winter. Like the others, Alexis planned to use the money he got for the skins to buy food for his long stint in the wilderness the following winter. But destiny had other plans. While at the outpost, he was accidentally shot in the stomach.

For weeks, Alexis lay near death while the skillful surgeon carefully nursed him. Bits of shot, scraps of cloth, and fragments of shattered bone were painstakingly removed from the wound each day. Because the gun blast had penetrated the stomach lining, the wound was bandaged securely to prevent the stomach's contents from running out. After several months, the doctor noticed a curious phenomenon--the flesh around the wound had begun to look healthy again, but nature was making no attempt to close the hole. It was healing open. Alexis would have a permanent hole in his stomach! In fact, the hole was large enough that the doctor could look through it and almost see digestion taking place.

Doctors of that day had many different views of what took place during the process of digestion. Most of them were wrong. Now Dr. Beaumont had an opportunity to solve the mystery. With the reluctant cooperation of his hapless patient, he began the first of many experiments to learn the secrets of the digestive process.

Small chunks of food tied with lengths of silk thread were suspended into the cavity, then withdrawn at carefully timed intervals for observation. Flesh of various kinds was tested to determine the length of time it took to digest each one. Every food found in the frontier post was tested. Dr. Beaumont found that meat and cereals were easier to digest than vegetables. Using a siphon, the doctor would at times draw out some of the gastric juice. This was kept at body temperature in vials. Bits of food were placed in these vials, then watched carefully to see what changes took place.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 19:54

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLuvsM
Nancy I guess I'm a biological oddball too. LOL
If I eat any veggies or fruit these days... I will have diarrhea/loose stools within a few hours. No doubt about it. (I find that it's a similar experience to eating too many sugar alcohols... if you know what I mean? LOL)
It's like my body just rejects it and pushes it right through my tract without touching it much. Some of the time I can even "identify" what it was just by looking at it...

I also react very quickly if I eat certain things. But I don't think that necessarily means it's going all the way through you in one or two hours. I think it's more of a general "Oh no, look what's coming down the track! Better clear all this other stuff out!"
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 20:02

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesg
I will suggest that people with this problem try not to drink much or any water during and up to an hour after they eat. I think it may dilute the stomach acid, digestive enzymes and bile.

I keep going back and forth on this. I can fast for 22 hours and have no desire to drink anything during that time. But as soon as I eat, I'm thirsty (and as soon as I drink, I'm hungry). I was also concerned that I'd need to drink more water when eating pemmican, so maybe I overcompensated and that added to my stomach cramps.

Tonight I made an effort not to drink anything around dinnertime. I had a glass of seltzer about an hour before dinner and it's been 2 hours since dinner with nothing to drink. It was a leftovers night, so I had fried liver with salt, pepper and a little kimchi, leftover hamburger with chicken fat mayonnaise, and pemmican. Maybe the kimchi was cheating a little, but my stomach seems to be doing pretty well so far. I'm pretty thirsty now, so I think I'll drink soon.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 20:07

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/155/155 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydogs
Actually, this occurred on Mackinac Island, Michigan in 1822. The man was Alexis St. Martin, a trapper. The doctor was William Beaumont and there is a well known hospital in Michigan named after him, Beaumont Hospital.

Here is a little excerpt from an article........

It was a miracle that Alexis St. Martin survived. A gunshot at close range had torn a gaping hole in his abdomen. No one believed that he could possibly live. Dr. William Beaumont applied a carbonated, fermenting poultice of flour, hot water, charcoal, and yeast to the wound and did what else he could to make the patient comfortable in his last hours. The doctor was as surprised as anyone when Alexis lived through the first night.

The next day, the seriously wounded man was moved from the trading post at Mackinac Island to the small, one-room hospital where Dr. Beaumont treated his patients. There began one of medical history's strangest partnerships.

Dr. Beaumont, a young army surgeon with a keen and inquiring mind, was stationed at Mackinac Island. Alexis was a Canadian woodsman. The accident occurred in June of 1822, when trappers had returned to the outpost to trade the skins they had taken the previous winter. Like the others, Alexis planned to use the money he got for the skins to buy food for his long stint in the wilderness the following winter. But destiny had other plans. While at the outpost, he was accidentally shot in the stomach.

For weeks, Alexis lay near death while the skillful surgeon carefully nursed him. Bits of shot, scraps of cloth, and fragments of shattered bone were painstakingly removed from the wound each day. Because the gun blast had penetrated the stomach lining, the wound was bandaged securely to prevent the stomach's contents from running out. After several months, the doctor noticed a curious phenomenon--the flesh around the wound had begun to look healthy again, but nature was making no attempt to close the hole. It was healing open. Alexis would have a permanent hole in his stomach! In fact, the hole was large enough that the doctor could look through it and almost see digestion taking place.

Doctors of that day had many different views of what took place during the process of digestion. Most of them were wrong. Now Dr. Beaumont had an opportunity to solve the mystery. With the reluctant cooperation of his hapless patient, he began the first of many experiments to learn the secrets of the digestive process.

Small chunks of food tied with lengths of silk thread were suspended into the cavity, then withdrawn at carefully timed intervals for observation. Flesh of various kinds was tested to determine the length of time it took to digest each one. Every food found in the frontier post was tested. Dr. Beaumont found that meat and cereals were easier to digest than vegetables. Using a siphon, the doctor would at times draw out some of the gastric juice. This was kept at body temperature in vials. Bits of food were placed in these vials, then watched carefully to see what changes took place.

THANK YOU!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 22:00

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

carbonating, fermenting flour, hot water, charcoal and yeast?

yikes! how could THAT not give you an infection?