Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-08, 16:37

Plan: Atkins-Wheat Free Allergy
Stats: 190/185/135 Female 5 Feet 7.5 Inches
BF:49%/49%/19%
Progress: 9%
Unhappy 1st day (again)

I am trying with all my might not to become discouraged, to give up and continue to be miserable!

This is the 3rd time I am trying and I just don't have the encouragement as I once did. The hardest part is convincing the family of my WOE, and still having to buy and cook their carb loaden foods.

I did really well for a year or so. I managed to get down to 147 lbs (12 lbs within goal) but I figured this was too hard and I didn't need to follow this woe. and another 50 lbs later... I am back even further behind than where I started.

Any advice on how to jump start and really stick to this?

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-08, 17:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/166/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default make them cook for themselves?

I make what ever I want then add either instant mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, or toast and butter to the meal. Occasionally when I want something that is not kid friendly, I'll make them spaghetti or by a frozen lasagna.

Some low carb things are really popular with my kids. I keep apples in the fridge and otherwise serve mostly veggies.

I think you just have to decide to do it.
Best of luck
zodea
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-08, 18:22
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome, Huntress! I'm glad you found us! I think you will find this site to be a huge help to you. The more you participate, the greater the advantages you will experience.

On Atkins, the 2 week Induction is really all the "jump start" you'll need. You won't lose any faster doing anything else. The best advice I can offer you is to reread your book, if you haven't already done so. I reread mine every couple of months, just to keep it all fresh in my mind.

Another thing I think would probably help you would be for you to start an online journal here. Make it a habit to post in it every day. Your posts don't have to be anything elaborate. Some days, when I'm especially busy, all I do is list the foods I've eaten that day, whereas other days, I babble on and on. We visit each others' journals to say "hello" and offer advice if we see someone is having a rough time or needs a pal. It's a great way to make new friends!

Best wishes to you!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-08, 08:38

Plan: Atkins-Wheat Free Allergy
Stats: 190/185/135 Female 5 Feet 7.5 Inches
BF:49%/49%/19%
Progress: 9%

Thank you so much! I can't believe I never found this site years ago on my first try! The more and more I read, the more confident I feel. Thank you again!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-08, 09:22
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Welcome back, best of luck on your weight loss journey...Bru
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-08, 14:53
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%

Welcome. This is a great forum to keep you motivated. This isn't my first time on LC but it is the first time that I think of it as a whole new lifestyle, not a diet. It would be hard with a family that is used to carbs. When I was a kid my mom was a health food nut and we just ate what was there. I thought everyone had carrots and radishes for snacks. We didn't eat sugar. I never saw a twinkie until I went to school. I wish I would have continued to eat more like her and I did for quite awhile but got married and ate a lot. But I think your family will like a lot of the recipes you will find here, even great desserts. I agree with Kisal, reread the book and the first 2 weeks are the jump start and you will lose the most weight and get the most information. You can find out the answer to almost every question here. I would also suggest a journal. It's a way to feel connected that also makes you motivated. Good luck and visit my journal anytime.

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-08, 22:31
Registered Member

Stats: 255/220/180 Male 5'09
BF:
Progress: 47%

If your cooking the meals, work low carb meals into the house hold menu.

Most of the time they don't even know it's low carb!

If your family enjoys your meals then you can start working at getting your house into a low carb house completely.

Give it a shot, who knows what could happen. If not you still have tons of support here.

James