Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 17:30

Plan: high protien
Stats: 253/253/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Red face I am itching all over!!!!

xxx
Ok, I just had to enter the font code

Well, this journey started with me having a fungus issue with my large toe nails. I have been trying to get rid of it for 5 years now and nothing worked. After being told that if I took the prescription med for fungus I could damage my liver I thought I would try something different.

I went to my local Health food store and talked to a women who was so adament about what I could and could not do it freaked me out a bit.

OK, well, I bought everything she told me to buy ($104.00 later) and started on what she told me to do...at first I felt a little itching with one of the products and then this afternoon BAM, the itching was out of control.

My husband thought I was having an alergic reaction to one of the things I was taking but I had a sneaking suspecsion it was more then that. When I found this board I was so happy to see someone say that I would be itching because OH MY GOODNESS am I itching. Just signing up for this board made me feel like I was going to go out of my head....

Is this what I have to look forward to for the next few months and why does this cause itching???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 14:34

Plan: Atkins/Hhcg
Stats: 155/115/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 133%

Mira
What products are you on? I am always a little bit leary talking to health food store ladies, as I was one of them and I had no idea what I was talking about!! I know a LOT more now than I did then, if I could only go back!! When I was trying to get rid of a wart on my son's toe, just last year, we did the low carb diet to starve the fungus out and it worked!! The diet worked whereas the medicines we had gotten from several doctors (and even surgery!!) didn't. We were thrilled to see it go!

I don't know why you have intense itching, but don't give up now. You have to get rid of the fungus and it looks like whatever you are doing is working. Have you heard the phrase "it gets worse before it gets better"? That is what is going on here. Google 'herxheimer reaction' and see what pops up.

What works best for fungus (or candida) is following a diet that will starve the fungus--NO sugar, starches, dairy, mayo, vinegary things. Basically meat, eggs, and low starch veggies. Diet is key. Then you add in antifungals like oil of oregano, coconut oil. Then you add in probiotics. It really works, you just have to hang in there!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 15:37

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Injesting coconut oil cleared two fungal nails for me. I began applying it topically after my toenails cleared. I believe that keepin git in my diet is the most beneficial because my skin was also softer while injesting it only. Avoid foods that sprout fungus as Dawnyam mentioned. Once I began low carbing my itchy skin vanished.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 09:36

BF:
Progress:

Black57 and Dawnyama , thank you so much! It sure helps to have others, who has knowledge taking the time to post!!!

I appreciate it very much!!! Any other suggestions are very important!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 10:43

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm still itchy, but eating coconut oil and coconut milk powder cleaned up ringworm I'd had for a few years. Now that you mention it, my fungusy toenail looks better too. Seems like our bodies are getting rid of a lot of miscellaneous junk along with the fat, and strange stuff shows up on our skin and nails.

Meg
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 15:57

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

I didn't know I might have had yeast problems.
I started taking coconut oil.
When I was up to about 2TBSP in a day, all of a sudden I was itching all over. Lasted about 2 days.

We went on vacation for a week. I stayed "on plan" but mostly eating out, so I don't doubt there were some hidden carbs running around there.
I didn't take the CO with me.
When I got home, by day 2 of being back on CO, I had another day of ITCHING. (Yup...hidden ingredients somewhere!)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 05:47

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks!

Melesana and Ipioch, thanks for the posts !!! I keep hearing about Coconut oil and think I might need to get some, I have it in the cold pressed form, is that what you all are using?

Thanks again!

#8   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 11:19

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Cold pressed - definitely.
"organic" has little/no taste
"organic virgin" tastes like coconut.
I hear there's "organic extra virgin" but I haven't seen it.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 11:26

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

I use organic extra-virgin coconut oil because it's the least processed. YMMV. It smells like coconut, and I don't taste coconut in it.

Meg
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 12:47

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?

I've never completely gotten rid of my candida, but I did have a persistent wart clear up soon after I went low-carb. I am also gluten and dairy free.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 05:47

BF:
Progress:

The amazing thing is, I am taking something new that has my candida clearing up like I can't believe. I'm still trying to be careful with the carbs and with this supplement (anti yeast) my blood sugar is so under control I am going from being too high to too low. I was diagnosed as a diabetic 5 years ago and have always ran high but now with trying to control the Candida my sugar control is amazing! Somewhere, on the net, it was mentioned that candida can cause diabetes. If that is true, no wonder so many have been diagnosed with it!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 09:49

The first time I heard of candida was in an article about "sugar addiction." Candida was basically blamed as the cause, and the terms "candida overgrowth" and "sugar addiction" were considered interchangeable. If that's the case, you can see how it could lead to diabetes...
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 10:31

BF:
Progress:
Default A few of my life challenges with sugar issues in a nut shell

For the life of me I could not figure out how so many people are walking around with Diabetes. How in the world could so many Americans have this affliction? If Candida is the cause, it's such a simple fix! There should be regulations on how much salt and sugar can be added to foods in America. I picked up a can of soda and the sugars count was 45 ...no one should drink a soda with a sugar count of 45, ever!

With that said, I have had sugar issues since I was a young girl. When the milk lady handed me milk I wanted to beg her for orange juice. Trying to learn with low sugar was difficult and when it was lunch time and I could smell that cafeteria food I thought I would jump out of my skin. After all those years of suffering I was finally diagnosed, at 30 years old, with hypoglycemia and the results from the glucose testing were dramatic. Someone told me that because I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia that I would end up a diabetic...and I did.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirasLife
There should be regulations on how much salt and sugar can be added to foods in America. I picked up a can of soda and the sugars count was 45 ...no one should drink a soda with a sugar count of 45, ever!

I've seen 12oz drinks where the serving size on the bottle was 12oz. On others, it's 8oz. 20-30g sugar per 8oz is typical for most soda and juice. If it's labeled for 12oz servings, that puts it in the 45g range. Serving size does matter, of course, which is why serving sizes keep getting bigger - the soda companies can sell more and more sugar water when drinking it just makes you thirstier! But I think the basic threshold for sugar addiction is much lower - Gatorade only has about 15g sugar in 8oz, but I think it's still a problem.

I don't think regulations can replace proper public health education. If any sugar at all is added, it's enough to get some people hooked. But people don't treat it like an addiction - they think fat is the real problem, and fruit juice is healthy. Orange juice has just as much sugar as most soda pop, and it doesn't have any sugar added.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 14:15

Plan: my own
Stats: 151.5/142.0/125 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:?
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirasLife
The amazing thing is, I am taking something new that has my candida clearing up like I can't believe. I'm still trying to be careful with the carbs and with this supplement (anti yeast) my blood sugar is so under control I am going from being too high to too low. I was diagnosed as a diabetic 5 years ago and have always ran high but now with trying to control the Candida my sugar control is amazing! Somewhere, on the net, it was mentioned that candida can cause diabetes. If that is true, no wonder so many have been diagnosed with it!

What are you taking? Do tell!!!!!!!!!