Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:57

Plan: WIN! (my own plan)
Stats: 172/150/123 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default The Cholesterol Learnin' Experience

Hi

I started Atkins on Sept. 1st last year. At that time, my cholesterol was 2.8 (280).

Then I had blood work done on November 21st, 2002.
My doctor contacted me the followin' day. My cholesterol
had risen dramatically.

Fortunately for me, I have a slight hearin' problem...and
I thought she said it had risen to 5.8. (580) Last week, (January
17, 2003) I was in for a visit and we discussed my levels
again. The actual results of the November tests were a
rise to 9.8 (980)

I'm glad I misheard the first time. I was alarmed at that time
but it gave me the push I needed to investigate further into
the cholesterol concern.

Now that I have a more expanded knowledge about cholesterol
levels, I am not frightened.

I made some changes in my Atkins...less cheese, caution with cream...not a free hand as I had been doin' prior to November.
Also, I take 2 tbsp of lecithin granules prior to each meal, take 1 garlic caplet and 1 salmon oil capsule after each meal, and end each day with 1 tbsp of flaxseed.

My next cholesterol test is scheduled for March 3, 2003. I hope my levels will be lower. However, I am not as concerned as I was initially....understandin' now that a level of 10.0 (1000) is not a threat to women.

I'll post my level when I have it done. If it is still high, I will consider Niacin. However, it could react with some Rx I take.

I am trustin' that usin' common sense in my Atkins is leadin' me
to improved health all around.

I've lost 33 pounds and my doctor is pleased. (I am too!)

Comments

Many Blessings
n0ah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 17:54
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Isn't it true that weight loss itself can cause your cholesterol count to shoot up? Did your doctor also check your triglycerides and your HDL?

But the changes you're making sound sensible to me. Fish and olive oil! And water water water!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 18:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Eades of Protein Power offer an explanation as to why some people may experience a rise in total cholesterol levels:

"I’ve been on the plan for awhile and feel better than I ever have. I’ve lost weight, my blood pressure is down and my sugar levels are now normal. My most recent lab tests show that my cholesterol and LDL went up. What am I doing wrong?

First of all, be aware that you are not doing anything wrong. The most consistent finding after people go on our program is that triglycerides drop and HDL, the "good" cholesterol increases. This indicates that your insulin levels have dropped and you have stopped converting excess amounts of sugar into fats as trigylcerides. Cholesterol is a number that is composed of both good and bad fractions, therefore we don’t tend to track it nearly as close as more specific levels of HDL, triglycerides and LDL. LDL cholesterol is made up of different particles that vary from person to person. Depending on the type of particles that predominate, one is said to have either pattern A or pattern B. With pattern A, the LDL is light, fluffy, and relatively large. This pattern is actually thought to be beneficial. With pattern B, the molecule is heavy, dense, and relatively small. This pattern is thought to be detrimental. Pattern B is a partial consequence of excessively elevated triglycerides. When triglycerides go down after the Protein Power Plan has been adopted, a phenomenon called the "beta shift" occurs where LDL is transformed into pattern A. So, paradoxically, even though the level of LDL appears to increase, the type of LDL that is being formed is usually much healthier. The difficult part is that the lab testing to determine your levels of LDL "A" and LDL "B" can only be done in a research laboratory with electrophoresis methods. While we cannot be 100% certain that this is what happened in your case, the research strongly supports this view.

The most important thing is to look at the overall picture. With the Protein Power approach we look at the triglyceride/HDL ratio as one of the best measurements of risk for heart disease. An upper limit of 5 is considered desirable, with anything over that indicating an increased risk. Some measures to help bring down your cholesterol and LDL levels are: stay on the plan (some people panic and feel that the plan is causing the opposite effect), take a "no-flush" niacin 500 mg 2-3 capsules per day, increase your fiber intake with perhaps psyllium seed powder-1-2 TBS mixed in water per day, and avoid excessive saturated fats and trans fats (fried foods and margarine.)"

http://eatprotein.com/answers11.html#11e

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 11:54

Plan: WIN! (my own plan)
Stats: 172/150/123 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Ysabella and Karen

Hi

Thanks for the responses.

Ysabella, you are so right! The eating plan itself can cause your cholesterol to rise. Yet, I'd prepared myself for a small rise ..not the dramatic rise that occured in my body. I was checked for all...but in March, I'll take a closer look when the doctor shows me her results. I have been drinkin' lots of water...and I'll keep you informed as I learn more.

Karen, I did panic initially but decided to take a closer look at my Atkins and find out what I'd been eatin' too freely. I did give thought to the Niacin. However, I take medications that it might interfere with.

I'll let you know the outcome of my March tests.

Thank you again, Ysabella and Karen.

Many Blessings
n0ah