Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 18:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Gee, now I feel behind the times. Where I live is regularly featured on the Weather Channel as one of the coldest places in the US.
It will come, for sure.
I'm fortunate that I haven't gotten too much flak. I remember when I was talking to my friend at work about my new way of eating, and someone else overheard, and immediately started saying all the "Atkins myths," about nothing but meat, and "no bread, that's unhealthy." Of course he's a rail, never had to think about it in his life.
And my Dad was negative, until I emailed him a copy of the "What if it's all been a big fat lie?" article, and now he just wants to make sure I'm eating my vegetables. He did a 180, but I don't rub it in (grin.)
Now that I have two people at work doing it, and two more planning to do so, the balance of power is shifting my way!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 20:13
Registered Member

Stats: 320/267/135 Female 62
BF:48%/47.70%/?%
Progress: 29%

My BF has diabetes and would constantly keep saying," I need to do this...I need to do that..." Meanwhile stuffing his face with plate fulls of rice, potatos, tortillas, etc...
I did nag repeatedly for awhile. Then he decided to "join" me in my way of eating. That lasted as long as 1 month. And only at dinner time. Lunch for him was whever the guys from work went. He never saw results and just gave up.
I got tired of his always saying and never doing. I just ate my way and continued on my road (however bumpy) to success. He keeps saying he wants to do it, but he doesn't make any attempt to learn how. He wants me to decide every bite that goes in his mouth. Then gets mad if I said anything like,"Hey thats got way too many carbs. or Are you sure you NEED that?" I never said things that I thought to be mean or sarcastic and demeaning. I want to be supportive, but I can't do it for him!
His blood clocked in at a whopping 419 Saturday night. I just about decked him I was so mad! He said he would start eating my way, and has so far done OK according to him. He told me what he ate for breakfast, lunch etc...
I can handle this from him, but I hope he's serious this time. This has to be a real decision at changing your life. I get upset that he thinks a few days eating like this and it's ok to have "just a little". I am not perfect. I make mistakes. I blow it. But I pick myself up and wipe myself off and get on with getting on....
Ok , I have rambled enough.
Just wanted to say I agree with your frustration seeing the ones you care about not doing anything.....

Last edited by Mizree : Mon, Nov-03-03 at 20:15.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 20:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
His blood clocked in at a whopping 419 Saturday night.

Mizree...you probably already know this, but a blood sugar of 419 is not only high, it's dangerously high. If my blood sugar was that high and my doctor knew about it, he'd put me on insulin immediately. Mine hit 250 and my doctor was flipping out.
If your BF isn't going to get serious about controlling his blood sugar through diet, at least encourage him to get his butt in to see his doctor. One way or another he's got to get those blood sugars down or he's going to be in for a world of hurt a lot sooner than he seems to realize.
You're right that this has to be his decision and he has to be the one to commit to it, but if it were me and my blood sugars were that high, I'd be scared to death and heading for the ER.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:55

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I hope your BF doesn't have to have a big wake up call.
I keep thinking of a friend of mine, years ago, who had a little stroke, a high blood pressure warning. He came back ok, and I was talking to him about changing his diet the way his doctor wanted him to, and he kept saying how it's hard, can't do it, he feels fine, etc.
A few years later, and he's had a few more strokes, and now he has great difficulty thinking, talking and walking, and has to go twice a week for dialysis. He managed to say to me, "I wish I had listened to you."
Rat him out to his doctor. It's better than trying to do this alone.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 05:54
Registered Member

Stats: 320/267/135 Female 62
BF:48%/47.70%/?%
Progress: 29%

Just to touch back,since my bf started eating "my" way and making sure he is taking his medication, his blood sugar was 240 last time I saw it. Its still high, but not as scary as Saturday. This is hard for him, but I think he is realizing that he does have a problem, and he is the one who needs to fix it. He refuses to take insulin, so I told him that the only way would be through diet. I have started making him walk with me too. I think he needs the exercise as well. Its a struggle some days because I can see he wants to eat something and hasn't quite caught the spark that this WOE gives you, but hes serious now, .....XxXfingers crossedXxX...I hope.

Thanks for writing