Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 10:57

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Menu review, please!

I'm new to PP, and trying to aim for 50-60g carbs, 81 g min for protein. Can I please have some feedback on my menu from yesterday:

B: 2 eggs + 2 whites, mushrooms, spinach, american cheese 2 slices,
coffee+ 1/2 and 1/2, apple 1/2 w/2tbs cheddar cheese

L: whey protein shake (2scoops = 32g protein) + 3/4 c blueberries, 1tbs heavy cream

snack: ricotta 1/2c + splenda,cinn, vanilla,

D: 2 eggs + spinach, 2 slices low carb bread (5g carbs each) + butter, low carb brownie (Minicarb mix= 1 brownie = 12carb + 10g fiber)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 17:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Way2To-Would you mind sharing your name with us?

Anyway, here are my thoughts on your menu. Your breakfast looks very delicious, balanced, and clean. The biggest warning signs I see involve your dinner choices. 4 egg yolks is a lot to consume in one day. It's not a big deal if it is once in awhile, but it is probably not the best choice if it occurs a lot, especially in terms of keeping the variety going. I tend to eat the same things over and over, but then get completely sick of them, so it might be a better tactic to try to only have eggs once per day. Something else you might want to keep a close eye on is the low carb bread, especially since you are hypo. I have never found a low carb bread which didn't have it's major ingredient as soy. I always stalled or gained while eating bread. If you find you are not losing as you'd hope, maybe you want to try forgoing the bread, and trying to reintroduce it when you get to maintennance. My last concern is the lowcarb brownie. I am not familiar with the mini-carb mix, but it sends up the same warning signs to me as the lowcarb bread. Many people lose better when they avoid or extremely minimize the "Frankenstein" products. There are many other homemade-type items that you could try if you are craving a dessert. I have a great recipe for lowcarb no bake cookies and also a lowcarb cheesecake. I prefer, when I do back, to stick as natural as possible, and the only "starch-type" food I will add, even if it is lowcarb is almond meal. You'd be surprised what you can make with almond meal or also protein powder which you already have. Both of those would be a higher choice for me than any artificial bake mixes, often full of soy and unnatural food. Certainly, you can have lowcarb breads on occasion, but you may not get optimal results if you are using them every day, especially multiple times at one meal. One of my favorite sides for dinner which is extremely filling and makes me feel like I am eating a starch is to mash cauliflower, add 2 T. of light cream cheese, 1 t. of butter, and 2 T. almond flour. It is divine. I hope this answers your question. As always, your mileage may vary. Some people can consume all those things and lose fine, but if you are finding that you are not, those are the things I would consider modifying first. Have a good one!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 09:27

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default thanks for the review!

Wendy..you're so sweet. By the way, my 'real' name is Holly (added it to my signature...don't mind getting more 'personal' with those like you that are so helpful!!). I had trouble coming up w/a 'cute' name here, so I chose WAY2GOAL, since I'm always heading that way!!

I will try to stay away from frankenfoods, as I agree, there are much better choices. I'd appreciate getting your low carb cookie or other sweets recipes. Fortunately, I don't require alot of baked goods, since I am good at filling up on real food, but for the occasional 'sweet tooth', it'll be good to have some on hand.

Also, I think I need to add more veggies; I usually have a salad at lunch and at dinner (eggs last night was not typical, but quick!). I find that 2 salads a day spells success.

Good luck to you too; you seem to be doing really well. I have a trip to my PC dr, since I just found out my endo left her practice and went to Mass General Hosp...so, I'll need a new endo; atleast now I can 'talk the talk' and request a referral to one who will treat my hypo/IR aggressively.

thanks for being a pal!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 12:27

Plan: T.K.D.
Stats: 235/183/170 Male 5'9.5" inches
BF:33%/17%/10%
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2goal
L: whey protein shake (2scoops = 32g protein) + 3/4 c blueberries, 1tbs heavy cream

Replacing the 1 TBSP heavy cream with 1 TBSP flax oil would get you much more beneficial fats -- Omega 3,6,9's -- and the non-saturateds would encourage your body to drop the existing fat. I don't put the flax in the protein shake-- down the oil first, then enjoy the shake.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 07:03

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sheesh! That's what I was going to say! I have to agree with everything that has been said.

So, all I have to offer are some recipes that will sub for some of the processed things you've been eating:

3-minute chocolate cake: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...threadid=162450. This is supposed to make 1 serving, but I find it's quite filling. Next time I'm going to divide it into 2 bowls and save one for later.

And here's the link to all the recipes in the "Sweet Treats" forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=217797

Here's one I have virtually every day: Macadamia Nut Butter Treat

2 oz cream cheese
1 Tbsp Mac nut butter
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1-2 tsp Splenda

Nuke the cheese for 20 seconds to soften it, and then mix everything else together. Good either "warm" or cold. You can even leave out the cream if you think the calories are too high.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Sat, Feb-26-05 at 07:17.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 07:05

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipticer
I don't put the flax in the protein shake-- down the oil first, then enjoy the shake.

Heck, I just throw it in with the shake! Doesn't change the taste at all, strangely enough.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 13:46

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Hi Holly,

I agree with what everybody else said for the most part.....I think you could use more meat and less eggs, agree about the "frankenfoods".

I personally haven't had a problem with LC bread since I started, but I only allow one serving a day (breakfast), and found some better results fiberwise in watching the brands I use.....lean toward those found in a health food grocery store than safeway/walmart brands.

I would also watch the cheese. Natural, unprocessed cheese is healthier, but it also adds up in calories very quickly.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 16:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

bread suggestion: We eat a slice of Eziekiel's bread (it's a sprouted bread, no regular flour ??) -- anyway, it tastes good, seems to be healthy, and it's naturally fairly low-carb (I think a slice contains 12 ECC).

I get it at Central Market, though I'm sure that Whole Foods also carries it -- it's in the freezer section. And at home I keep it in the freezer, just thaw out 2 slices (for when we eat soup).