Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-14, 11:14

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitann
I am in agreement with your views but when I first read NANY I thought they were suggesting (pushing?) the use of low-carb convenience foods too. This was because in the meal plans in the back they list the bars and/or shakes as snacks or breakfasts at least once and often more times per week.
I also see the inclusion of shakes and bars in their suggested meal plans as an implicit suggestion that to do Atkins properly you need to use them.

So many people either do not have the time or inclination to read through the whole book before starting and are likely to turn to the menus as a quick start plan and are therefore prone to think that Atkins products are an inherent part of the way of eating!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 13:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A good update to add to this thread. Jimmy Moore is posting Livin LaVida Classic podcasts since Apple only keeps 300 in iTunes. He has rebroadcast his first interview with Dr. Westman in 2007, and a long interview from 2010 when NANY was published. Many answers here from the author himself on the fact there was no influence from AN company on what was written, how certain recommendations about foundation vegetables came about, the whole net carb discussion, the optional bars, his and Dr. Phinney's clinical studies, the fact the authors take no royalties, the science behind saturated fats in the diets, etc, etc. Jimmy had lots of good questions from his long time LC/ Atkins listeners who were suspicious of the "New Atkins" so it is a good podcast to put with this discussion.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...c-westman/22286
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 176/125/125 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just thought I'd chime in here. I don't lose well doing net carbs. Actually, I hardly lose at all. What I notice the most when I stick to 20 or less total carbs is the inches melting off very quickly. When I'm overweight, I have the classic "apple" shape. Most of it goes to my middle. An example of how fast my stomach deflates when I strictly count total carbs: 2 weeks ago I got serious again. Within 6 days a pair of jeans I couldn't wear because they were so tight on my waist I couldn't sit down in them (and breathe at the same time) were perfectly comfortable. I will also say that the scale does NOT reflect the changes in my body. I look like I've lost 10 pounds in the last week. In reality, it was less than half that. I only get those quickly melting inches when I count total carbs.

I do very much limit my veggies which is hard for me because I'm the kind of person who can sit down and eat two pounds of veggies for dinner. I love them. But, excess vegetables really slow down my weight loss so I have to limit them. I have a salad almost every day for lunch, but the salad is mostly lettuce and cucumbers, with the occasional few extras.