Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 06:27
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default A bum knee :( HELP

I have a baker's cyst on my left knee and everytime I start exercising (walking on a treadmill is my fav) it gets aggravated and that's not good. If it gets too bad I end up missing about 3 days of work because I can't walk and have to take too many pain drugs to be of any use.

Any suggestions on what I can do for exercise that doesn't require using my knees? That's a tough one, I know.

Another two months it will be swimmiing weather here, but what can I do in the meantime?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 06:59

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Teridoodle

Even if you can't do overmuch with your lower body you can still do resistance training with weights for your upper body and get those muscles in trim!! No weights, then I am sure this forum will give you ideas about alternative things to lift, like broom handles, bags of sugar, etc.

I hope your knee gets better soon.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 11:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Sorry to hear about your knee

I have a bad knee also. Mine is a replacement. I was told by my doc not to use the treadmill because it really puts strain on the knees. I ride a recumbant bike at the lowest level for about 20 min. This keeps the knee moving, gets the blood pumping and puts very little pressure on the joint.

Other that than, if you don't have access to the bike, I will tell you one I learned in Physical therapy that was really easy. You can do it almost anywhere. It was called quad sets. You sit and stretch your knee out straight either on a bed (or support your leg with an ottoman) Then you just tighten the muscles around and above your knee. Try to think of it a pushing your knee into the bed. Hold that for a few seconds and repeat. This is what I did after my surgery to strengthen the quads. It really works and like I said, you can do it almost anywhere.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 18:00
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Thanks SO much.......... that's very useful information!! I'll ride my bike instead of walking and I'll use your exercises to strengthen my legs/knees. Thanks again!!

I have learned so much from this forum in 2 weeks.....it's incredible.

Terry