Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Lactic Acidosis..Met... & Alcohol

This may seem like a very odd concern, but I was recently prescribed Metformin for my PCOS....even though I am not insulin resistant? I am not sure that is the norm?? I thought only insulin resistant pcos'ers were prescribed Met?

Anyways, I read up on Metformin only to find that it scared me! Repeatedly I read that it could cause death due to Lactic Acidosis....especially in those that occasionally drink alcohol. My question is, does anyone out there taking Met ever drink? I know it seems like a trivial concern, but I do occassionally drink wine, and I am afraid the mix of the two might be life-threating?

I haven't started taking it yet...instead I am just low-carbing and taking Provera to achieve a period.

Would love any input on this issue of Met and Alcohol, as well as Lactic Acidosis!

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 23:20

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%
Default Metformin

Hello!

Sounds like you have lots of concerns. I take Metformin (generic is Glucophage, which is what I take.) I haven't had any problems with it other than figuring out what dosage is best for me in order to have a normal cycle. Right now I am on 2 pills a day and still have a bit of irregularity in cycle. I have contacted my Dr. and may be moved up to the normal dose of 3 a day. We'll see...

On the Lactic Acidosis... I have read a lot about that, right after I was given my pills to take. As far as I can see, in rare cases Metformin can cause Lactic Acidosis when the person has a prior case of reduced renal function (kidney problems.) If you have this, you will want to tell your doctor about it before taking the pills. I'm not sure about the alcohol effect on the pills, since I don't drink... can't help you there. However, IMO, the pills are great. I have no side effects that I know of.

Not sure if any of this helps...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 15:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%

Tams,

Ever since I started taking metformin I have noticed that when I drink I get drunk very quickly, get tired when I drink, and have severe hangovers. While you may not be in the risk group for acidosis, alcahol does affect your blood sugar (therefore insulin) and therefore, I would carefully monitor your reactions and discuss them with your doctor. For me, its just too high a price for the occasional drink.

Betsy