Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 23:09

Plan: SP
Stats: 128/128/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Is This My "Body for Life"?

Hi everyone...hoping you can shed some light on my situation.

In January, I was 120 pounds. Today, I'm 128. I gained all eight pounds in a period of 3 months--from March to June. I also went from 15.3 percent bf (May 1) to 22 percent bf 6 weeks later. (Please--don't tell me 22 percent is "normal." I know that. I liked being at 15 percent, and would like to see at least 17 percent again.)

Here's why I gained the weight, I think: In January, I quit smoking. I also went off of Depo-Provera in March. Both wreaked havoc with my body. When I quit smoking, I DID NOT EAT MORE. I can honestly say that. I also continued my rigorous workouts. Nothing changed but the smoking and the hormones in my body.

Since April, I have tried EVERYTHING--I mean EVERYTHING--to lose these 8 pounds.

TSP was my latest attempt. I've been on it almost a month, and have not lost a pound. I am very strict with the carbs--I was used to that, because of my bodybuilding lifestyle--but I am also eating 1500 calories a day, often a bit less (1300-1400). I also work out 4 days a week, both cardio AND weights.

Here's my question--perimenopausal ladies, please pipe up!

I'm 39 years old. I'm thinking that if I haven't been able to lose this weight by now, this is the body I now have--my new, perimenopausal body. I will never see 120 again. No matter what I do, my body wants to stay at 127.5 or 128.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else here?

Should I just give up my "dream" of weighing 120 again--a weight I was at just 5 months ago--and accept that, all of a sudden, this 8-pound gain in 5 months is what my body wants to do? Because I see many women my age in the bodybulding magazines--even women who have had kids--and they're 120 pounds and low bf.

I know we're all unique, and that we all have different body types and different genetics. But hey, what happened to "calories in = calories out?" I've stuck to that, and I am doing everything humanly possible, and I AM NOT CHEATING. I track my calories on fitday, so I can honestly say I'm following the program.

Why isn't "calories in, calories out" working now? Isn't it sort of a law of metabolism?

Now I truly understand how overweight people can say, "But I don't eat that much!" I believe you now. I really do.

Please...I need some insight, and your stories, if you have them. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 12:27

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Exclamation lisaf Alert!

This is a job for lisaf ! Where are you Lisa?

You mention you are up 8 pounds, but have your measurements changed a lot? Is it the number you are after, or the size?

Your body needs time to heal. You've been a smoker, which damages your metabolism, too. Also, the hormones you were taking--they all take their toll.

It's easy for me--a 300+ pound woman--to say don't stress so much over 8 pounds. But I completely understand why you are concerned.

I think lisaf and the others will be able to add insight better than I. I have only been on SP for 6 months. Wishing you well!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 15:50

BF:

TheBetty!

I love your name, BTW! Did you take it from The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood? (Loved that book.)

Thank you for your reply. Don't care about the number on the scale--it's the size. I mean, if my clothes still fit, I wouldn't care if I weighed even more. As it is, my waistline spills over the tops of pants that used to fit LOOSELY.

I hope lisaf does reply--I've been lurking here, and she knows her stuff!

And if anyone has any insights...I'm not looking for sympathy, but I would like to know if anyone here is expriencing what I am.

You've been on SP 6 months? That's FANTASTIC. You give me hope--and boy, do I need some right now.

Well, time to go eat some yummy fat. Thanks again, TB...

Julia
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 20:46

BF:

Gee, was my post THAT stupid? I can't believe not even a moderator would attept to answer it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 21:55

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Don't be offended, Julia. Not all posts get immediate attention. It's not a judgement on your question or you. Sometimes, no one has an answer.

However, about your problem, it is very possible that your body is going to go into some serious healing/recovery from the smoking and depo. I have seen posts from women who took depo and they have taken months to see any movement on the scale or in measurements. And we did have one woman on the board for a short time who was very upset that she was gaining.

One of the big differences between low-carbing and low-fatting (to coin a phrase) is that low-carbing feeds your body while allowing it to shed pounds, low-fatting just starves your body.

It may be that now that you are feeding your body the proteins and fats it needs to build itself up, your exercising is having its desired effect. And because of the healing your body needs to do, it is not shedding the fat (what little you have ). That could be why you are seeing the scale go up and even the inches as your muscles bulk up a little.

Now, I could just be talking through my hat too. But I think you need to give your body time to heal from the smoking and the depo. Also, no amount of weight-lifting will totally offset the effects of low-fatting. So while you were low-fatting, you were also losing muscle and bone mass.

Tell me one thing, do you feel stronger? I expect you do. I know I sure did in the beginning. And now it's even more so. I have been working out with tension bands and a friend told me how much more defined my arms are looking.

Don't worry. Give it time (months) and just revel in feeling better and having more energy. And keep in mind that the closer you are to your optimum configuration, the longer it takes to get there. It's all a process.

;-Deb
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 08:27

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

Hi Julia:

My scale is also stuck. Almost 4 months on the plan and not losing much. (I'm 50 and closer to menopause than not.)

A few weeks ago, I made a commitment to keep track of my food intake with FitDay and with that I saw I was eating close to 2000 calories/day. Just this week I made another commitment to follow Dr. S's meal plans to the letter for two weeks and see if the scale moves. Her plan gets us about 1600 calories/day.

My suggestion to you is that try tracking as well and see how your system responds at various calorie levels. With all the insights Dr. S. gives us, I agree with you that for many of us it's a calories in/calories spent issue when it comes to weight loss.

Susan
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 08:56

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Julia! I'm here! Just got back from holidays!!!!

I'm not sure what to tell you to be honest! It does sound like some lifestyle changes are affecting your metabolism and that is causing a major shift in your weight. Deb's advice is good.

Also...you really have to examine that calorie in/out thing...there has to be a balance between eating too much and not enough...you don't want to starve your body of calories but you don't want to eat more than you are putting out either. Remember too, that a fat calorie and a carb calorie react differently in the body. Another factor to consider.

I wish I had more answers...I think Deb is right and you need to take time and have patience with the process. I know how hard it is to suddenly gain weight like that and feel the shift in your body. You have a lot of experience and know your stuff...its hard when you are used to manipulating your body, to suddenly feel like its taken charge against your will.

Lisa