Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-14, 09:17

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Help replacing honey

I found a new cookie recipe that I really want to try, but it calls for honey and I am not sure how to replace it, without affecting the outcome of the cookie.

I have stevia, xylitol and erythritol. I would appreciate any help someone can give me.

Coconut & Cashew Quick Cookies!
http://www.fengshuidana.com/2013/11...-quick-cookies/

1 C ground cashew meal (I just got this at Trader Joe’s and had to try it. You can use almond meal and stick to almond cookies if it is easier to find!)
1 C finely shredded coconut, unsweetened (measure before grinding) it makes it finer.
1/4 C of coconut oil.
1/4 C honey
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
a shake of sea salt

I mixed it all up in a bowl. It starts out crumbly and starts to stick together.
I collected tablespoon-sized scoops and formed them into golf-balls of dough, then flattened them onto a non-stick cookie sheet.

Bake them at 325 for 15-20 minutes. Note: YOU HAVE TO WATCH THEM! The bottoms get very dark very fast. They will look a bit golden but almost uncooked when they are ready… A tiny bit firmed up but still soft. Do not overbake or you’ll scorch them.

I let them cool for about a hour and a half and as they cool they somewhat magically “firm up” into chewy cookies. If you try to move them before they cool, you ‘ll have very delicious (but very crumbly) granola!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-14, 09:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The honey probably helps them stick together. You could try using egg white instead. Flax meal or xanthan gum might also work to make them stick together. There is a "sugar free" honey at Walmart, but it is basically malitol syrup... not the best sweetener.

I think you'll just have to experiment but things that help to keep things together include:

Flax meal -- maybe pre-soak it.
Egg
Gums like xanthan, guar
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-14, 09:36

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyMC
I found a new cookie recipe that I really want to try, but it calls for honey and I am not sure how to replace it, without affecting the outcome of the cookie.

I have stevia, xylitol and erythritol. I would appreciate any help someone can give me.

I found my answer, I hope it works. For every 1/4 C of honey, add 1 T of liquid-of course, I will add my sweeteners. I found a similar recipe that uses 2 T full fat coconut milk and 1/2 C Swerve for 1/2 C honey, so the above advice makes sense.

How to Substitute Sweeteners
http://wholenewmom.com/whole-new-bu...gar-for-baking/

The converse is then, when substituting a granulated for a liquid sweetener (e.g. using sucanat or coconut sugar when the recipe calls for maple syrup or honey), for every 1 cup of sweetener, add 1/4 cup of liquid from the recipe (that means also, for every 1/4 cup of honey, add 1 Tbsp of liquid).

If baking with honey or maple syrup, reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees Fahrenheit, since maple syrup and honey will tend to caramelize and burn faster than granulated sweeteners.

Since maple syrup and honey are somewhat acidic, when baking, you will need to add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp baking soda per cup of honey or maple syrup to the batter so it will rise.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-14, 10:49
Experimenter

BF:

Give it a shot, but I think it might be pretty crumbly.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-14, 11:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Give it a shot, but I think it might be pretty crumbly.

I appreciate you letting me know, it still may be crumbly. I don't mind using an egg white to help bind it together. Thanks for your opinion.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-14, 12:43
Experimenter

BF:

No problem! Do report back.