Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default lemon yogurt shake

Blend up some low carb milk with some homemade low carb yogurt.... (made by heating the milk and leaving it in a thermos for 4-12 hours with a few tbs of starter yogurt) and adding lemon juice and sweetner. It's a great breakfast or meal on the go, as well as a post workout drink or dessert. Instead of lemon juice I sometimes use a strong lemon flavoured cod liver oil, which actually tastes good and gives me my fish oils for the day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Low carb
Stats: 157/135/130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 81%

I would like to try making my own yogurt. Could you tell me exactly how to do it? What temperature do you heat the milk up to? Where do you find the yogurt starter? Thanks so much!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 13:28
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Hi Tiff, my method is not precise but it works.. you can do a search for more exact instructions, but if you do it my way it will probably work - it always has for me.

First I boil water in a pot to sterilize it, and then pour the boiling water over any utensils and in the thermos I will use.

Heat up the milk, cream, half and half or low carb milk, whatever you choose to use in the sterilized pot. I use a taste test to determine heat...although I read that 100 degrees F is what you're supposed to go by. I just make sure it doesn't boil and doesn't get too hot to feel "warm" in my mouth.

Pour the warm milk into the thermos (I've also done it by keeping the original heating pot in a warm but not hot oven, or you can place containers next to a heater or in a really sunny spot...) and mix in 1-4 tbs of starter yogurt, I generally buy dannone plain wholemilk with active cultures yog, and get several batches out of it....so gently stir in the starter and let sit undisturbed for 4-20 hours. You know it's ready when there is watery stuff (whey) surrounding it, and you can check with a spoon to see it the milk has firmed into yogurt. I pour off some of the whey before putting it into containers and then the fridge.

I've used my homemade yogurt as a starter culture, and found that it ripens very quickly - like very ready within 2 hours! Once I let it sit for 5 hours and it turned into cheese.

Good luck!
Meg