Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 10:14

Plan: Celiac Disease
Stats: 215/190/115 Female 5'3
BF:35/?/10
Progress: 25%
Default Newbie, a few questions please?

I have been following a lc diet (struggling) for 2 months and have not been getting the results I want. It seems that I have a real low tolerence for carbs, and was wondering what the difference was between Atkins and Neanderthin. My limited understanding is that carbs are more limited, and not even beans or dairy are allowed. Could someone give me a brief rundown on what you can and can't eat on Neanderthin? I was thinking maybe I should switch to neanderthin since I am so sensitive to carbs, and I'm diabetic.

I too would like to see muscle healing, mine are as hard as rocks and painful to the touch. Don't like massage.

Should I just get the book and go from there? Do you see greater progress with Neanderthin than Atkins?

Thanks for your help!!
Laree
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 11:15

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

My suggestion is that you definitely get the book NeanderThin by Ray Audette (who btw cured his diabetes and rhumatoid arthritis on this plan) and read it. In fact, the more low-carb books you read the more you will be able to develop opinions about low-carbing that may suit you.

NeanderThin is not actually lower in carbs than Atkins but stresses whole, natural foods more, and does not allow dairy or legumes, including peanuts and SOY products. This means no commercially prepared mayo's, salad dressings, low-carb products, peanut butter, etc.

Many people adopt the NeanderThin plan because they are allergic to dairy, soy, grain, etc and others because they feel that this is the diet that man evolved on for millions of years. Whatever the reason, most of us are happy with our decision and we have modified it to suit our needs. No diet is set in stone, because not one of us has an identical genetic makeup. We are all different.

What we can eat is: all meat, all fish, eggs, almost all vegetables, except those listed below, fruits (you just eat lower GI fruits in moderation if you are trying to lose weight), nuts, seeds, olive oil, coconut oil, animal fat such as lard.

What we can't eat is: all commercially prepared foods, sugar in any form, all legumes (including beans, peanuts, soy), all grains, all dairy, cashews, corn, potato, genetically altered canola-type oils. I probably forgot a bunch but someone will refresh my memory.

Your profile shows a weightloss of 27 pounds since March, so I don't understand why you feel you are not getting the results you want. Were your muscles sore before you started Atkins or did that develop after? Are there any other medical issues we should know about?

It is very good that you are questioning how you are feeling? If it doesn't feel right, it's best to investigate further.

There are excellent paleo links on our Thread here called "Paleo Links" that you can check out.

Keep us posted and welcome to our cave here on the forum.

Last edited by Hellistile : Wed, May-05-04 at 14:45.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 21:08
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/neanderthin
Stats: 115/?/? Female 5'3"
BF:25%
Progress:

hello there yodasmum!
i myself started out on atkins to control my previous years of carb addiction, compsulsive eating, and sugar addiction, not to mention the onset of diabetes. so what i did was one day go cold turkey and did a sort of "atkins-like" plan where i just ate protein and few veggies (i was afraid that more veggies would tempt me to crave carbs again... i was wrong) and after a few days felt terrible! i know that my body was going into major detox, but thank goodness i found this site and this group and discovered the life of the hunters and gatherers. i read the book, 'neanderthin' as well as many other related books and books on food allergies, and now after following a more 'neanderthin' lifestyle, i feel so much better. i bet you will too, and that's most important. when you feel better, you look better! (and somehow, clothes fit better.... )

good luck and hope you learn some exciting things. it's a good life we lead, and though none are 'easy' this one feels the best to me.

danni